Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4115
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?" Previous topic | Next topic
srd4484 Registered since 04th Aug 2011Thu 04-Aug-11 05:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?"
Thu 04-Aug-11 06:47 PM by srd4484

US

Hey everyone! I just started to get into photography. I have a D5100 Camera with 18-55m and 55-300 lens. I wish to now take pictures of bugs & flowers up close. I can't figure out which lens is best without breaking the bank too much. I see nikon is coming out with their new 40m lens and i was thinking about getting that. Then i'm told that a 105m lens would be best. Big price difference as well.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Thank you!

UPDATE:
I decided on 3 lens:
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
Tokina 100/2.8 ATX Digital Ready 1:1 AF-D Macro

About $500 in price difference. Is it worth the extra $500?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 04-Aug-11 06:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 04-Aug-11 06:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The price difference is in the fact that the Nikor AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED is for a full frame 35mm film SLR or FX dSLRs while the AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is for the DX dSLRs.

The FX lens will work on the DX body. The FX lens projects a much larger image circle on to the camera's recording media. This lager projection requires larger optical elements. These larger optical elements require more material and precessing. The 105 lens has more lens elements within the lens and has the VR components.

The longer the focal length of the lens the greater the working distance the photographer will have to work with.

You might also want to consider the Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 as an option if you will ever move to an FX dSLR.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

srd4484 Registered since 04th Aug 2011Thu 04-Aug-11 06:37 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 04-Aug-11 06:42 PM by srd4484

US

Thanks for the reply.

I decided on 3 lens:
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
Tokina 100/2.8 ATX Digital Ready 1:1 AF-D Macro

About $500 in price difference. Is it worth the extra $500?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 04-Aug-11 06:47 PM
26651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> About $500 in price difference. Is it worth the extra $500?

Highly unlikely, actually. The Tamron and Tokina do a great job - arguably even better than the Nikkor (not a typo) although they have fewer features and don't have that magic "Nikon" on the front.

You can also look into a used version of any of these - a Tamron can probably be had for $295 in pristine shape.

Two others to consider:

- 85/f3.5 AFS DX Micro-Nikkor about $500 - probably not quite as good as the Tamron/Tokina but has nicer focusing (AFS) and has VR. Still quite good, though. Big loss on this one is that it won't ever work on the full FX frame, but if you aren't going to get an FX camera any time soon, this probably isn't a big deal.

- Sigma 105/f2.8 HSM OS Macro - about $700. Possibly the best performer of the whole 90-105mm set, has the same features as the Nikkor, and is $200-$300 less. Might be worth the additional $200, although very possibly not. Even the least of these are really, really good lenses.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 04-Aug-11 06:43 PM
26651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Bug/Flower lens for Nikon 5100?"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

> You might also want to consider the Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 as an option if you will ever move to an FX dSLR.

Careful... the 55's are all discontinued, and in fact the one that's most widely available is the AIS model. And that one doesn't meter on most modern DSLRs. There's an AF version, also discontinued, but newer 60/f2.8's are available now.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.