Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4113
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky s..." Previous topic | Next topic
OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Wed 03-Aug-11 10:45 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"

US

I'm looking for confirmation that all is well from fellow D5100 owners.

Here is what I'm talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90vKy4AbApA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squea...
pjonesCET Gold Member
04th Aug 2011
OniD5100
05th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Aug 2011
OniD5100
05th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Aug 2011
OniD5100
05th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Aug 2011
OniD5100
05th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Aug 2011
OniD5100
05th Aug 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Aug 2011
pjonesCET Gold Member
06th Aug 2011
loriann1970
13th Aug 2011
OniD5100
13th Aug 2011

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 04-Aug-11 02:39 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 0

Martinsville, US

I saw your video. I also noticed someone had posted a video of two other model Nikon Cameras, they both made noises. As for squeak, I didn't hear a squeak. It sounded more like two pieces of metal or Plastic sliding across each other. It's possible you may need to take to a Camera shop and have cleaned. Could be dust build up causing the problem.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Fri 05-Aug-11 02:53 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 05-Aug-11 02:54 AM by OniD5100

US

Well I know its not dust since this camera is brand spanking new. I have heard a few other D5100's and they all sound the same. I just would like confirmation from fellow owners of this great camera, you know to calm my OCDness.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 05-Aug-11 03:06 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 05-Aug-11 03:07 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Don't obsess, it is normal, it is normal, it is normal......

err maybe I should check?

maybe I should check again?

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Fri 05-Aug-11 03:17 AM
#4. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Don't obsess, it is normal, it is normal, it is normal......
>

I'm assuming you have a D5100 right?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 05-Aug-11 05:32 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 05-Aug-11 05:40 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Right, my wife and others I know have OCD

My D5100 don't noticeably squeak.
Sounds more like a camera shutter flipping or cards shuffling.
Not a clunk or clatter like a D7000 or D3.

I wonder if there is a way to post a wav file on here?

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Fri 05-Aug-11 05:57 AM
#6. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 05-Aug-11 05:59 AM by OniD5100

US

>Right, my wife and others I know have OCD
>
>My D5100 don't noticeably squeak.
> Sounds more like a camera shutter flipping or cards
>shuffling.
>Not a clunk or clatter like a D7000 or D3.
>
>I wonder if there is a way to post a wav file on here?

I would just record a quick video on your cellphone and dump it on youtube. Anyways, here is my camera, sorry for the poor quality of the video, but notice the high pitched, almost like a silencer shot from a james bond movie, sound the shutter or whatever it is makes. Its not a problem for me, just want to know that its not unique to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVKny0EcZwo

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 05-Aug-11 06:21 AM
#7. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I repeat:
Don't obsess, it is normal, it is normal, it is normal

I listned to your video,
Perhaps yours has a little more treble than mine but they sound the same otherwise.

The squeak (more like a chirp) I heard after the shutter was some external noise or your recording device (My best guess).

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Fri 05-Aug-11 06:28 AM
#8. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>I repeat:
>Don't obsess, it is normal, it is normal, it is normal
>
>I listned to your video,
>Perhaps yours has a little more treble than mine but they
>sound the same otherwise.
>
>The squeak (more like a chirp) I heard after the shutter was
>some external noise or your recording device (My best guess).
>

Ok thank you for calming me down. That slight knock sound you hear after the shutter is the VR kicking in.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 05-Aug-11 07:20 PM
#9. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

>
>Ok thank you for calming me down. That slight knock sound you
>hear after the shutter is the VR kicking in.

Those are the two main reasons I do not like VR.
Noisy
Slow

What good does VR do you if it is "kicking in" after the shot?

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Fri 05-Aug-11 07:35 PM
#10. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>>
>>Ok thank you for calming me down. That slight knock sound
>you
>>hear after the shutter is the VR kicking in.
>
>Those are the two main reasons I do not like VR.
>Noisy
>Slow
>
>What good does VR do you if it is "kicking in" after
>the shot?
>

Well here is some info I found out about that knocking noise and its function:

"VR = vibration reduction. floating elements within the lens will "move" to try and correct any errant motion from your body (swaying, etc.). this enables you to get sharp photos at slower shutter speeds.
the clicking is the engaging/disengaging of the VR mechanism. it is programmed to begin stabilization on half press, and waits a few moments after you release the button before it shuts off.
the moving you see is the motion of the elements kicking into stabilizing mode. after the "click" you can probably see that the view through the viewfinder is "dampened", and resists your motions the best it can."

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 06-Aug-11 01:00 AM
#11. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 10

Monterey Bay, US

Yes, VR has it's uses and one of them is supposed to be for Video.

However, most of the time I am taking a series of action shots and cannot wait for VR.
Also being an EVENT photographer, I have to recompose on the next competitor very quickly.

I just used my D5100 at a kids run because my D7000 was set up with to long a lens and I did not wish to switch it.
The D5100 was awkward but capable.
Biggest problem is the multiselctor does not lock and it is very easily to get out of adjustment during a shoot.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 06-Aug-11 04:09 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 06-Aug-11 04:14 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Supposed the VR reacts wwhen shutter is pushed half-way down and and should be locked in by the time shutter pressed. At the same time its auto focused.

In my case I take still shots and shots of People. VR and auto Focus for me works.

In your case perhaps auto-focus and and VR should be shut off.

I've never had the need to do action shots.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 07:47 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I switched over to try out the 18-55 lens today and noticed that I hear a noise as it is focusing - is that normal? I dont recall hearing it on the 300 lens.

OniD5100 Registered since 03rd Aug 2011Sat 13-Aug-11 07:58 PM
#14. "RE: Is it normal for the D5100 to have a slightly squeaky shutter?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>I switched over to try out the 18-55 lens today and noticed
>that I hear a noise as it is focusing - is that normal? I
>dont recall hearing it on the 300 lens.

Yeah the kit lens isn't quietest out of the bunch. That noise you hear is quite normal. Thats just the autofocus that you hear.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4113 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.