nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4066
View in linear mode

Subject: "What AF Area mode are you using?" Previous topic | Next topic
dan9125 Registered since 06th Jul 2011Tue 19-Jul-11 02:01 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What AF Area mode are you using?"

Lockport, US

What does everyone use for Auto Focus with their D5100? Single point, Dynamic area,3d tracking or auto area? I've only used the 3D so far.

Dan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What AF Area mode are you using?
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
19th Jul 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
19th Jul 2011
dan9125
19th Jul 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
20th Jul 2011
dan9125
20th Jul 2011
loriann1970
10th Aug 2011
dan9125
10th Aug 2011

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 19-Jul-11 02:05 AM
4896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The AF settings will depend on your subject and the circumstances.

Your question needs to be more specific.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Jul-11 03:00 AM
26990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dan,

As stated above, the best choice depends on your subject.
The fewer AF points that you use, the faster the AF system will work and the more control you will have over the image. For static subjects, and moving subjects that you can easily track using a Single AF point. For subjects moving faster than you can track with a Single AF point use Dynamic Area AF.
By using Auto Area AF mode you are giving control of the AF system to the camera, and it will focus on what it thinks is the subject, which may or may not be the subject that you would choose.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dan9125 Registered since 06th Jul 2011Tue 19-Jul-11 03:26 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 2

Lockport, US

Marty,
Thanks for the info, the manual explains the various modes but does it in a way that is fairly confusing. Hearing it from someone like you makes it much easier to understand.

Dan

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 20-Jul-11 03:20 AM
26990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Dan,

Your welcome.
Glad to help.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 20-Jul-11 02:19 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I use Continuous Auto Focus, Single Center Spot with Aperture Priority almost all the time.
That + the required AF-S lens and my D5100 focuses quite fast.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dan9125 Registered since 06th Jul 2011Wed 20-Jul-11 03:50 PM
#6. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 20-Jul-11 03:51 PM by dan9125

Lockport, US

Thanks Roger,
I am going to try some of the various modes and see which one works best for me.

Dan

loriann1970 Registered since 07th Aug 2011Wed 10-Aug-11 04:19 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hmmm . . . I am new to this too so I am curious as to which I should use.

I have been trying to shoot deer and elk at the max distance and have been using the 3D and dynamic (I think).

dan9125 Registered since 06th Jul 2011Wed 10-Aug-11 06:24 PM
#8. "RE: What AF Area mode are you using?"
In response to Reply # 6

Lockport, US

I just ordered Thom Hogan's review of the D5100 hoping that will explain the camera better than the manual that comes with it. Looking forward to getting the most out of it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4066 Previous topic | Next topic