Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #401
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 RECALL" Previous topic | Next topic
gratienjonxis Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2007Tue 28-Jul-09 02:12 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 RECALL"

Neuville-en-Condroz, BE

Did any of you guys encounter the problem ? My question because I leave on vacations on sept 10, and therefore I have to make de decision whether I return my Camera to Nikon Belgium now and risk not have it back on time(normal repair delay 4 weeks) or take the risk to have my camera suddenly not working during my vacations...
Hard decision !
Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 RECALL
Covey22 Moderator
28th Jul 2009
gratienjonxis Silver Member
28th Jul 2009
Noel Holland Platinum Member
28th Jul 2009
thosmm
28th Jul 2009
Covey22 Moderator
28th Jul 2009
gratienjonxis Silver Member
29th Jul 2009
Covey22 Moderator
29th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
31st Jul 2009
thosmm
03rd Aug 2009
thosmm
07th Aug 2009
slartybartfast Silver Member
08th Aug 2009
jclark146 Silver Member
13th Aug 2009
Covey22 Moderator
13th Aug 2009
jclark146 Silver Member
14th Aug 2009
Bad_Andy_75
14th Aug 2009
jclark146 Silver Member
14th Aug 2009
Covey22 Moderator
14th Aug 2009
billg71 Gold Member
14th Aug 2009
Covey22 Moderator
15th Aug 2009
emeroid
15th Aug 2009
billg71 Gold Member
15th Aug 2009
14th Aug 2009
jclark146 Silver Member
15th Aug 2009
slothead Gold Member
15th Aug 2009
20th Aug 2009
jeff_winston
20th Aug 2009
yellowfronty
21st Aug 2009
yellowfronty
22nd Aug 2009
patapuf
09th Jun 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 28-Jul-09 02:55 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 28-Jul-09 02:55 PM by Covey22

US

I'm assuming you checked your Serial Number (EU portal) and it was found on the list? If so, you may just want to take it anyway and be prepared - worst comes to worst, bring some P&S back-up or even disposable film cameras. If it fails, it fails, but don't predicate your vacation plans on dedicated use of the camera. It would be nice, granted, but enjoy the trip first!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

gratienjonxis Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2007Tue 28-Jul-09 03:01 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 1

Neuville-en-Condroz, BE

Yes my serial nr is on the list... My dealer here suspects that all the cameras produced till last week are on the list (?). Yes I will have a P&S backup but we picked up La Corse (Corsica - France) for its nice lanscapes and wildlife to shoot...
I cross my fingers, thanks

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberTue 28-Jul-09 04:55 PM
2171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 2

TH

Well my camera is also on the list and so it will also have to go into Nikon for service.

From the soudns of it the repair should be fairly easy and given they will have to attend to several they will run a bench doing nothing else but that repair. That means that when tehy get into the swing of things the actual repair will be pretty quick. What takes the time will be the item receipt and returns activities.

I'm not too pleased right now as my day to day point and shoot is a Canon G10 which I've recently found also needs a service repair update. Thankfully it's not my primary backup and I still have my other Nikon bodies to fall back on othewise I'd be in a really funky mood right now.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Tue 28-Jul-09 07:26 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Gratien,

I actually don't know anyone personally who has had the problem. Larry E30 had the problem with one of 4 D5000's he's had. He returned it to the store.

My camera has just been sent back to Nikon, and I'm very sad. I hope that the camera will be back within a week, with 2 day shipping there and 2 day shipping back (USA).

You might check the website for Nikon EU and see how long they expect the repair to take (if they mention it).

I would certainly hope that you would have your camera back by 10 September. In fact, I hope that mine is back before 10 August.

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 28-Jul-09 09:20 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 4

US

In the US, Nikon has set up a specific repair location separate from the normal NY and CA repair depots. This implies, to some extent, that the inspection and repair process may not be extensive and hopefully means a quicker turnaround of units.

I'm not sure that this is paralleled in any of the other Regions. Comparing where you are being instructed to send the camera versus published Nikon repair depots may give you an idea, but it's probably quicker to just ask Customer Service for the area you are located in.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

gratienjonxis Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2007Wed 29-Jul-09 10:43 AM
#6. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 5

Neuville-en-Condroz, BE

I decided this morning to drop the camera at Nikon Belgium Service Centre. This means 3 hours drive (go and back) but it was worth it : the accepted to do it immediately and 20 minutes later I was leaving with my D5000 in condition. The repair sheet says :
Application of preventive measures
Calibration and set up
Check all functions
I am so happy !

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 29-Jul-09 01:07 PM
#7. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Twenty minutes eh? This tells me the "inspection and possible repair theme" is very accurate. Nikon probably has a good idea if the part itself is faulty just by visual inspection or quick bench test. Interesting.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 31-Jul-09 05:50 PM
2128 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I sent my camera out one week ago (Fri. 11am - at a drop off/packing/mailing place),and I was hoping to get it back in one week from now. QUESTION ; HAS ANYONE GOT THEIR CAMERA BACK FROM THIS REPAIR YET?,AND WHAT WAS THEIR WHOLE TIME OF "CAMERA AWAY FROM YOU"?. Thanks , Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Mon 03-Aug-09 05:05 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 8

Spring Hill, US

Larry,

Not yet. I sent mine off last week and it arrived at Nikon on Friday. Spending an entire week without my camera has been difficult.

Have you noticed that when you don't have your camera with you, you notice things that would make great photos?

I'm hoping that I will get my camera back this week.

-TM-

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Fri 07-Aug-09 01:57 AM
#10. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 9

Spring Hill, US

My D5000 was waiting for me when I got home this evening. It took 8 days from when UPS picked it up until they returned it.

That's pretty good in my opinion.

No paperwork came back with the camera, so I don't know what they did with it while it was there.

-TM-

slartybartfast Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009Sat 08-Aug-09 03:49 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 9

Waterloo, CA

>Larry,
>
>Not yet. I sent mine off last week and it arrived at Nikon on
>Friday. Spending an entire week without my camera has been
>difficult.
>
>Have you noticed that when you don't have your camera with
>you, you notice things that would make great photos?
>
>I'm hoping that I will get my camera back this week.
>
>-TM-
LOL, Mine was just picked up by purolator today. One hour later, I was on my back deck and all the wildlife in the neighbourhood decided to come out at once, and stand, settle, perch, hover or circle within 3 feet of me. I just sighed, shook my head and went back inside. Murphy's law. If I ever get my hands on that guy...

The bliss of ignorance is not knowing what your limitations are.

jclark146 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2008Thu 13-Aug-09 03:36 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 11

Savannah, US

I sent my D5000 in and it was repaired & returned. Today I
received a box from Nikon and a letter saying they want me to
return my D5000 as an "additional and enhanced procedure
was developed. This additional and strongly recommended
procedure further elevates the D5000's resistance to the power
issue identified in the original Advisory".
I sent it off once again.

JC

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 13-Aug-09 08:13 PM
#13. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 12

US

JC - this is intriguing. Is the location the camera being sent to the second time the same place as the first time you sent it out?

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jclark146 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2008Fri 14-Aug-09 01:17 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 13

Savannah, US

Yes, same location.

JC

Bad_Andy_75 Registered since 05th Aug 2009Fri 14-Aug-09 07:14 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 14

San Pedro, US

Same thing just happened with mine. I live in California, and last time it was a 10 day round trip. I just received the box and notification today. I am going out of town this weekend, and will take my camera with me. I guess I'll send it in next week. I would rather wait until the end of the summer though.

-Andy

jclark146 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2008Fri 14-Aug-09 01:02 PM
#16. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 15

Savannah, US

I'd rather get it done & not have to worry if it would quit at an inopertune time. Meanwhile I'll use my D80.

JC

Attachment #1, ( file)

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 14-Aug-09 02:21 PM
#17. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 16

US

In the interest of getting our members better informed, can someone please forward me the e-mail or notification of the second round of repairs? You can use the e-mail or Personal Message icon at the top right corner of any of my posts. Your identity will be held completely anonymous. Thanks!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Fri 14-Aug-09 11:22 PM
1068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat 15-Aug-09 04:59 PM by billg71

Acworth, US

Armando,

There's an updated advisory on the Nikon USA website here.

There's also a long thread on dpreview here.

Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 15-Aug-09 02:27 PM
#22. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Thanks Bill. What I meant was there anyone willing to share a "cut & paste" of the actual letter or e-mail contents with us? It would also appear that the 2nd round advisory is actually only hitting a smaller subset of the original 1st wave of affected cameras. It would be interesting to take a straw poll to find out what the ratios are and how many people took what path...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

emeroid Registered since 24th May 2009Sat 15-Aug-09 05:10 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I got a second recall

billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Sat 15-Aug-09 05:11 PM
1068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 22

Acworth, US

There's a copy of the letter in the first post of the dpreview thread I linked. I just corrected the link, it should work now. That same letter is now posted on Nikonrumors.com.

I don't know about cameras that've already been repaired, but from the Nikon USA wording it sounds like the problem is more prevalent than first indicated:
Important:
As of August 12, 2009 additional product serial numbers have been added to the list of “Affected Product Serial Numbers”. If you have previously checked your camera’s serial number prior to August 12, 2009 we recommend that you try again with the updated list."

Doesn't sound good....

Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

slartybartfast Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009Fri 14-Aug-09 11:28 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 12

Waterloo, CA

that's strange though. Why return the camera and ask that we send it back? I would think that since they already have the camera, they would just fix it fully and completely then and there. Not tease us by sending it back only to ask for it be sent back to where it was in the first place.

JC, did they actually say "ELEVATES the D5000's RESISTANCE..."? If so, it almost sounds to me like this is a permanent problem with the camera that they are just trying to patch.

Elevate? Resistance? What happened to fix?

I miss my D5000

richerd

jclark146 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2008Sat 15-Aug-09 02:06 AM
#20. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 19

Savannah, US

That was an actual quote from the letter that came with the box, from Nikon Inc. in Melville, NY.

JC

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sat 15-Aug-09 11:51 AM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 20

Frederick, US

My D5000 was sent in one week and received (back to me) a week later. I was amazed how quickly it turned around and even doubted that it was touched (I have no evidence that it was - is there a way to tell?). What I am wondering is whether both issues were covered in this repair cycle. I just got the camera back last week and so I suspect it is possible that both issues (?) were addressed. I have not received any emails/etc. from Nikon that addressed a second issue with mine.

Tom

slartybartfast Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009Thu 20-Aug-09 02:04 PM
#25. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 19

Waterloo, CA

I just got off the phone with Nikon Canada asking about the status of my D5000. This is getting quite frustrating. I sent my camera in almost 2 weeks ago (2 weeks tomorrow), and, apparently, they haven't even looked at my camera, much less performed their mystical repair on it yet.

I have an event tomorrow that I will be shooting, and I'd rather not show up to take pictures with my iPhone. Anyways, I am now waiting for the fellow on the phone to go and check with the technician to see if they can perform their repairs so I can drive an hour to go and pick it up in person. Otherwise I'd have to wait until next week, and that's if, IF they expedite my repair and ship it today.

I think I should have gone with the D90.

jeff_winston Registered since 19th Aug 2009Thu 20-Aug-09 10:36 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 25

US

I sent my D5000 in on a Monday and got it back the next Wednesday. There was no paperwork in the box. I'm not sure what was done (if anything) but I wasn't having a problem before.

yellowfronty Registered since 04th Aug 2009Fri 21-Aug-09 05:49 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 26

US

I sent my camera in for service, 2nd round, on Monday 17 and I got it back on Thursday the 20th. It would appear they have changed the firmware A 1.0001 B 1.00c C 1.0000 L ?.255 and I also noticed that instead of a battery icon for a indicator it has changed to a power plug icon, kind of strange and no I do not have the ac cord in the camera just the battery.

yellowfronty Registered since 04th Aug 2009Sat 22-Aug-09 05:28 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 27

US

O my god. Some fool at the service center screwed up and unplug the camer too soon after changing the firmware and that is why the indicator is stuck in the ac power plug mode. The rep on the phone wanted to send me shipping labels and a box again, 3rd time. I said no way and I am going to Costco tommorow to exchange the camera for one in the store. They have purged the system of affected cameras and the ones there should not have any issues. Ill keep my fingers crossed. I feel this is a better way to go since I really dont want my camera banged around again by UPS and costco has a wonderful 90 day policy. If I have any more problems with the new one it is going back too and I will buy a D90.

patapuf Registered since 09th Jun 2010Wed 09-Jun-10 11:18 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: D5000 RECALL"
In response to Reply # 28

BG

I have this problem too. The indicator is stuck in the ac power plug mode. My software versions are A, B, C and L. When i went to the store they told me that they haven't seen that before and i left my camera to be sent at the service. Now they called me from there to tell me that i must have only A and B without C and L firmware. Also told me that they can't do nothing and will send it to other service in Europe. I've never upgraded the software and have no idea what is going on. Could someone tell me what should i do if they don't fix it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #401 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.