Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4005
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing..." Previous topic | Next topic
Darklordenron Registered since 09th Jul 2011Sat 09-Jul-11 12:18 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"

Springfield, US

So I've been toying with some HDR type shots recently and discovered that I can't exactly use the shutter release with the multi-shot capability.

I'm in Manual mode and I've enabled bracketing at 2 full stops in either direction. ISO is at 100, everything else checks out fine. I don't want to touch the camera once it's setup for obvious reasons, but for some reason the remote won't work with the multi-shot option.

As I understand it, (which could be completely wrong) you need multishot enabled while you shoot bracketed photos because you must hold the shutter release down while you shoot. When you hold it down, it takes your pre-determined amount of pictures in the increments of your choosing.
So, my question is, am I correct that I can't use the shutter release with bracketing or am I doing something wrong? The manual isn't very helpful on weird tech issues like this.. Perhaps I need to be in Aperture priority?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracke...
Darklordenron
09th Jul 2011
HHargitt Silver Member
09th Jul 2011
mswscco
10th Jul 2011
Darklordenron
10th Jul 2011
briantilley Moderator
10th Jul 2011
Darklordenron
10th Jul 2011
briantilley Moderator
10th Jul 2011

Darklordenron Registered since 09th Jul 2011Sat 09-Jul-11 12:23 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

This...couldn't possibly be too technical of a question for this forum, could it?
Someone must know!

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Sat 09-Jul-11 05:45 PM
510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 1

Maple Ridge, CA

Short answer yes. On my D3x, if the shutter release is held down long enough to take a full set of bracketed images it doesn't matter if it is the shutter button or release. That said if you are looking to shoot an HDR timed release series you will have to make sure you can program the timer to use a long enough release to capture the full series. I don't have a programmable time release remote to test with but assume if it had a release timed setting (say 30sec, or bulb for a really long series) longer than the series takes to shoot it should work.

Hope that helps,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

mswscco Registered since 10th Jul 2011Sun 10-Jul-11 12:11 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think you can also set the mode to single shot and just hit the button 3 times.

Darklordenron Registered since 09th Jul 2011Sun 10-Jul-11 05:43 AM
#4. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 3

Springfield, US

>I think you can also set the mode to single shot and just hit
>the button 3 times.

Oh, you know what, I did not even think about that. I suppose I'll have to try that tomorrow..

I'll play around with some other things that I don't think will work as well, but it seems stupid that the 5100 wouldn't let you use the IR release to take a threesome of photos..
Another dumbass thing I think Nikon did was restrict HDR to JPEG only. WTF!? I thought you were supposed to use RAW because there's a better chance of correcting and modifying the end result than with JPEG. Boggles my dang mind..

I wish I knew a thing or two about toning, everyone's pictures always look so much more polished than mine do. Maybe they're using more pictures (upwards of 5?) to crop together instead of my usual 3, or perhaps they just know Photomatix/CS5 better than I do *shrug*

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 10-Jul-11 08:43 AM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>Another dumbass thing I think Nikon did was restrict HDR to
>JPEG only.

I doubt it is technically feasible to combine two NEF images in-camera; I'm not surprised this feature works with JPEG only. But you're right that, if you're making an HDR image using post-processing software, it's best to start with RAW image files.

>I wish I knew a thing or two about toning, everyone's pictures
>always look so much more polished than mine do.

Please check out our for much more information on this topic

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Darklordenron Registered since 09th Jul 2011Sun 10-Jul-11 05:34 PM
#6. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

>>Another dumbass thing I think Nikon did was restrict HDR
>to
>>JPEG only.
>
>I doubt it is technically feasible to combine two NEF images
>in-camera; I'm not surprised this feature works with JPEG
>only. But you're right that, if you're making an HDR image
>using post-processing software, it's best to start with RAW
>image files.
>
>>I wish I knew a thing or two about toning, everyone's
>pictures
>>always look so much more polished than mine do.
>
>Please check out our
>>Software Forum] for much more information on this topic

Valid points, sir. I forgot to mention I also hate how you need to reset the HDR after EVERY SINGLE shot! What's the point of that?!

I try to simply bracket if I have a subject that is immobile such as a house, brick wall, mailbox, flower etc. If I have something like a house I'm trying to shoot from a parked car where camera shake is inevitable, I'll use the built in HDR feature. But seeing as how you can bracket, what really is the point? I suppose for people who are too lazy or don't know enough to use the bracketing.
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 10-Jul-11 06:52 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to use the optional shutter release with bracketing??"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

I guess Nikon's logic about the HDR feature is to protect people from themselves. In most of our camera-related forums, we already get regular posts from those who have forgotten to turn off the bracketing feature. They wonder whey one shot is about right, then the one is too dark and the next too bright. But at least they have one shot out of three that is OK. With HDR left on by mistake, the original shot would be lost forever.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #4005 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.