Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3969
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raising the flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Stonecherub Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Mon 04-Jul-11 02:08 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raising the flash"

Tucson, US

How can I easily raise the built-in flash in daylight? Putting my hand over the lens in "auto" mode works sometimes but not reliably. I can't find anything about it in the handbook.

This flash is used to trigger a remote SB700 under conditions where the camera finds plenty of light to make an exposure, doesn't need it, and doesn't raise it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 04-Jul-11 03:49 AM
4755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raising the flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you are shooting the "auto" mode, you have given all decision making to the camera. Try "programed" (p) mode. It will let you change the settings that the camera initially picks. In this case, just manually press the flash release whenever you want it.

Sounds like you might be looking for the "commander mode" of the flash.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Stonecherub Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Mon 04-Jul-11 12:37 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raising the flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson, US

Duuhh! I just pressed all the buttons on the camera and damned if there isn't one on the left, just below the pop-up with a lightening bolt symbol that pops the flash. Thanks for having me look.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3969 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.