Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3937
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 settings via menu" Previous topic | Next topic
pcsmith Registered since 08th Jun 2011Fri 01-Jul-11 05:11 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 settings via menu"
Fri 01-Jul-11 03:41 PM by pcsmith

US

Does anyone who has used the D90 (or like) find the D5100 cumbersome to change settings? I'm just thinking as I advance, it would be nice to have ability to change any setting without ever leaving viewfinder. Wondering if I'm likely to miss shots fiddling with menu, or am I just being too hypothetical?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 settings via menu
Drbee Silver Member
01st Jul 2011
pcsmith
01st Jul 2011
blw Moderator
01st Jul 2011
pcsmith
01st Jul 2011
blw Moderator
01st Jul 2011
Rebelranger
02nd Jul 2011
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Jul 2011
pcsmith
03rd Jul 2011
blw Moderator
03rd Jul 2011
pcsmith
03rd Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Jul 2011

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Fri 01-Jul-11 03:57 PM
5658 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Paul,

My bodies decidedly have more dedicated button/switch settings than your D5100, but even then I rarely have a need to change camera settings while looking through the VF.

Can you give me an idea of what settings you need to change while framing? The information that is present in my VFs is almost entirely exposure and AF related. Are you wanting to reconfigure settings beyond that info?

One set of controls that has intrigued me is the U1/U2 settings on the D7000. IMO this gives the user even more advanced controls than either of my two "professional" bodies. Those settings would allow you to reconfigure your camera into default and two other custom sets of menu preselects. That might be useful.

Best Regards,
Roger

pcsmith Registered since 08th Jun 2011Fri 01-Jul-11 04:35 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Roger,
Not found any I must change yet, as I am just starting to learn and just diving into P mode now. I was simply curious if others found need to change settings while framing (so they didn't miss that one-chance shot). I imagine these days that you can basically shoot and correct PP, but I don't have Photoshop/etc yet and that seems to be an entirely different and intriguing monster I'll learn later.

This all came by playing with D90 in store the other day and it seemed to have more controls. Since I don't care much about video with my DSLR, I thought D90 with controls may be more suitable long-term (though I don't know if it's worth it at this price point for older technology). I'm like most people, I want the most bang for my buck upfront, but unlike most, I tend to overanalyze it.
(BEAT that horse dead!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 01-Jul-11 05:14 PM
26301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Yes, for those of us who change those settings fairly often, diving into the menus is problematic, and the issue is not theoretical. On the other hand, it's an annoyance, rather than a show-stopper in most cases. Most of the time the settings aren't changed on a shot-to-shot basis, although it does happen.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

pcsmith Registered since 08th Jun 2011Fri 01-Jul-11 05:27 PM
#4. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 01-Jul-11 05:27 PM by pcsmith

US

Brian: you answered my main question. I hate being annoyed, but it is probably more annoying to those who are accustomed to having controls at their fingertips than to we who have no experience with either. But, I've not bought so much into this 'easy' touchscreen age and still prefer hard buttons over soft screens.
Since it's not a showstopper, I reckon it would be best to go with D5100 and force myself to learn new thing instead of getting D90.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 01-Jul-11 11:46 PM
26301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 01-Jul-11 11:47 PM by blw

Richmond, US

Paul,

I think I'd disagree. If you're concerned about it now, it will likely become more of an issue over time. It's really a bummer to not get along with your tools, and since you're in the position of not already having something, I would advise going with the D90. What would you not be getting with the D90 instead of the D5100? In essence, you're trading the articulating LCD and a 16mp sensor in the D5100 for a screwdriver AF motor and a 12mp sensor in the D90. The articulating LCD is useful, but most of us have gotten along without it for many years. The 12mp sensor means that you are probably limited to making "only" a 30x45 print, rather than a 40x60. Most of us have made very few 30x45's, let alone something bigger. And the D90 has the option of a wider selection of AF lenses than the D5100, which requires AFS/HSM/PZD lenses for auto focus. The D90 can use older AF and AFD lenses and still AF.

If you had already had the D5100, I wouldn't recommend trading it just because of this, but if you have neither, I'd strongly recommend going with the D90 instead.

_____

Rebelranger Registered since 21st Nov 2006Sat 02-Jul-11 11:14 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 02-Jul-11 11:15 PM by Rebelranger

Hercules, US

For me it took a little getting used to and in my mind I know where things are now on my 5100. I can say IMHO that the transition was not that big and I find it actually easy to use. For me drilling into the menu is not needed often and once things are where I set them, I rarely go back. Same with my other cameras.....
No annoyance, no problems just a different way of executing....

Rebelranger
Bay Area, CA

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Jul-11 02:01 AM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Paul,

The D90 also has a pentaprism viewfinder that is brighter than the pentamirror viewfinder in the D5100.
If your budget allows, the D7000 has more capability than both the D5100 and the D90.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pcsmith Registered since 08th Jun 2011Sun 03-Jul-11 04:12 AM
#8. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 03-Jul-11 04:16 AM by pcsmith

US

Actually, my budget doesn't allow D7000. I've already fallen victim to budget creep by researching photography sites & forums - I was originally going to get a D3100! (And I've already purchased a zoom, prime, flash, remote, tripod, etc...)
I do like the D90 with external controls, pentaprism, LCD on top, kit lens (range for immediate learning), and AF motor. I figure all the new lenses now will have AF-S, so I don't know that AF motor is such a selling point (for me). I don't like the price of D90, especially since it was a bit cheaper 2 months ago when I first started looking.
Anyhow, I purchased the D5100 yesterday before I got more responses. I don't think two weeks is going to allow much time to learn if I wished I had gotten something else, but if I see difficulty, I'll return for D90.
I figure I'll use it until I get adept with it, and IF I'm good enough after a year or two, I'll reward myself with the next generation Dxxx or FX model that I might want at that time.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 03-Jul-11 02:44 PM
#9. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 03-Jul-11 02:53 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> I figure all the new lenses now will have AF-S, so I don't know that AF motor is such a selling point (for me).

But Nikon (and some of the third parties, notably Tokina) are years or decades behind, and quite a number of current lenses are still using the screwdriver mechanism. Granted that Nikon is indeed moving to AFS - they haven't introduced a non-AFS lens since 2002 - but not only are the older designs still current, but there are millions and millions of older lenses out there that use the screwdriver AF. And they are often a ***LOT*** better value for the money than brand new gear. Consider the 35-70/f2.8 AFD, at a street price of around $350-$450. Compare with even the older 28-70/f2.8 AFS - which is slightly better in addition to being wider - at $1000 (used!). The current 80-200/f2.8 AFD is $950 (new) compared with the 70-200/f2.8 AFS VR-II at $2400. Compare the older 105/f2.8 AFD Micro-Nikkor at $400 with the current 105/f2.8 AFS VR Micro-Nikkor at $950. In none of these cases is the older model fully the equal of the newer one, but for non-pros, it's clearly debatable whether or not 2-2.5x the price is a reasonable expanditure. Or even the 50/f1.8 AFD ($130) to the current 50/f1.8 AFS ($220), both of which are still available new.

Tokina, for example, has only a couple of AFS-equivalent lenses. Tamron and especially Sigma are in better shape, but as noted even Nikon isn't there yet.

Especially if you're on a tight budget, the screwdriver AF motor does have significant value.

Perhaps the most graphic demonstration is as follows. There's been the notion of the "Three Kings" - the three lenses you'd want to get Nikon's top-of-the-line gear, while covering the range of common needs. Today that's the 14-24/f2.8, 24-70/f2.8 and 70-200/f2.8. Total price is around $6200. And they're all AFS. A previous generation of the Three Kings was the fully screwdriver AF set of the 20-35/f2.8, 35-70/f2.8 and 80-200/f2.8. Total price today about $2200 if you go for pristine copies. You lose out on VR on the long lens and the 14-20 range, and a small amount on IQ - but the savings amounts to $4000!

_____

pcsmith Registered since 08th Jun 2011Sun 03-Jul-11 09:33 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Brian - thanks for the thought you put into responding. That's a great point (and it shows how little I know)!
While I'm checking out the D5100, I've got my eyes online (Craigslist, Ebay, etc) for a used/refurb D90, if it will save some money. Thus far, I've not found one for enough discount to warrant buying used.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 04-Jul-11 03:15 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D5100 settings via menu"
In response to Reply # 10

Monterey Bay, US

I had a D90.
It is a great camera and I regret selling it to buy a 5D2.
However, I would not go back to either after having a D5100 and D7000.
The D7000 does have a lot more controls and is better for action photography.
The D5100 is smaller, lighter and better for trips, hiking, and Video.

Now that you have one, get a TriPod &/or MonoPod.
You will find it invaluable.
Read your manual with camera in hand, and practice, practice, practice.....

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3937 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.