nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3935
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 - AE lock (Hold) turning off after pic review" Previous topic | Next topic
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Wed 29-Jun-11 04:53 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 - AE lock (Hold) turning off after pic review"

BR

Hi there. A little doubt here.

It seems some Nikons does not behave this way. Others - like D5100 and D3100 - do.
Also it seems this is a kind of "problem" easily solved via a firmware update.
But Nikon got to know about it or even accept the "problem" before releasing an update.

If you have a D5100 or a D3100 try this:

Set AE lock to hold mode.
Set auto meter-off to 1 or 30 minutes.
Set image review timer to 4 or 8 seconds.

Now, half press the shutter to focus, press AE-L/AF-L button to lock and hold the exposure metering.
Take the photo.

The normal (that correctly happens in other Nikon models) behavior is that even after the image review turn off automatically the AE-L (Hold) should continue to be ON to the be used in the next shot.

But if you do not half press the shutter before the review image turn off (or have a long image review timer on or even have it totally off) the AE-L (Hold) is erroneously turned off.
The timer is set to hold the AE-L to 30 minutes. So It should be on for 30 minutes. Even if the user have review image on.

Am I being clear?

Can you test this with your cameras and post here the results?

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3935 Previous topic | Next topic