Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3827
View in linear mode

Subject: "copying jpeg and image info to computer" Previous topic | Next topic
sankavarmuch Registered since 17th Jun 2011Fri 17-Jun-11 08:01 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"copying jpeg and image info to computer"

US

Is it possible to transfer photos from my SD card to my hard drive and have the photo data (e.g. shutter speed, ASO, focal length, etc) travel along with it? Or is that info, which is vital to help me improve my camera settings, lost once I move them over?

Thanks!

Michael

new D5100 user

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer
Asgard Administrator
17th Jun 2011
sankavarmuch
17th Jun 2011
Asgard Administrator
17th Jun 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Jun 2011
sankavarmuch
17th Jun 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Jun 2011

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 17-Jun-11 08:52 PM
51120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Welcome to Nikonians, Michael

Thanks for joining us.

While transfering your images from your car to your Computer you won´t lost your exif-data.

What program do you use. Nikon ViewNX 2 ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

sankavarmuch Registered since 17th Jun 2011Fri 17-Jun-11 09:31 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>What program do you use. Nikon ViewNX 2 ?

Actually, I generally just cut and paste from the SD card to a folder on my hard drive. Is Nikon ViewNX 2 on the CD that came with my camera? I heard that the software on there was "useless" (from a reviewer) so I didn't install it.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Fri 17-Jun-11 10:43 PM
51120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 3

East Frisia, DE

it´s a very good program

You can download the newest version from Nikon Homepage.

CaptureNX is better, but not for free.

Give ViewNX a try

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Jun-11 08:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

welcome to Nikonians,

Unless the program you are using to transfer the image is stripping the Exif data portion of the image, all the data should be there.

Have you looked at the image properties in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder?

Have you looked at the image meta data inside Nikon view NX 2?

You might also want to install one of the many Exif reader programs like Opanda, PhotoMe or Exif Tool by Phil Harvey.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

sankavarmuch Registered since 17th Jun 2011Fri 17-Jun-11 09:34 PM
#4. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Have you looked at the image properties in Windows Explorer

You know...I never thought to do that?! There's my data! Thank you.

BTW, both you and another poster mentioned the NX 2 software, which I suppose I should look into. Thank you again!

Michael

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Jun-11 09:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: copying jpeg and image info to computer"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

Nikon View NX 2 is a free download from Nikon and also should come on the CD or DVD with your camera.

Programs like Opanda and PhotoMe that only read Exif data provide far more data than most image editors.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3827 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.