Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3820
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Thu 16-Jun-11 12:27 AM
2314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
Thu 16-Jun-11 06:16 AM by Larry E30

US

Hi all - got my D5100 yesterday - in the evening(3PM +we were waiting to go to the coast).

...so we are at the coast now - though I shot about 20 shots yesterday at home.

Also , I did a dead pixal test;Even exposure to minus 1.3 stops
and ... a dirty sensor test;even exposure to plus 1.3 stops.

First impression is good.That being size of it, the 270 degree strong swivel and basically-the produced image.

I got frustrated working ALL THE WAY through the auto ISO.I been useing it somewhat on other cameras.You work through it - see you dance!
o-well.

I predicted (I think way back in Nikonian threads) - one of the things all cameras in the future would have is color-select.!
LIKE IT.

I'm quite impressed with the image quality,sometimes color could be a little better - guess it's something to do with WB.

I do all my photos for shows and Nikonian/etc. at home on my PC - so no pics for like 5 days or so.

So,I'm keeping it/happy with it.

Mostly I'm useing "A",w ; SD,fine,D lighting off,NR off,and -1/3 to -2/3.(-0.3,-0.7).

So far , only about 100 shots so far.Hope the wheather holds good.

I'm feeling good about photography...

Happy day/Larry

Edit - I will say,I am quite sure - the D5100 is a noticeable improvement,esspecially the IQ,somewhat on color,side swivel-instead of bottom...

...and so it shood be!

More to follow.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
ceh5100
21st Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
21st Jun 2011
Reply message HELP new 5100
ZenNonna1
26th Jun 2011
Reply message RE: HELP new 5100
RRRoger Silver Member
26th Jun 2011
ZenNonna1
26th Jun 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
26th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
27th Jun 2011
ZenNonna1
27th Jun 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
27th Jun 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 17-Jun-11 01:33 PM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

I've decided to keep mine too!
Although only moderately good as a backup to the D7000 due to the lack of multiselector lock, the camera is excellent.
It is better for Trips, Hiking, and Video.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 21-Jun-11 12:26 AM
2314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 21-Jun-11 12:30 AM by Larry E30

US

PICS !!! - just got back from the coast.

...so this is kind-of a test with this camera.

Lots of ...getting used to , and that moving focus point >is one of the camera's low points.

I was kinda hoping to use auto ISO , ... but no more.

Pics look BETTER on camera review than on my pc.

Bottom line > I can work with this camera > at this price point.
(If I MUST) have swivel screen.

I would have perfered the panasonic "G",with full reange of lenses...;but TOO much cost AND lower image quality...
(from what I read).

Hope ya like the shots ; I think I did OK on this trip - though we were mainly out to RELAX.

/Larry
I think these are my 3 best from this trip,(that don't need work),but I have one coming up ,at a later time...that I though was my best.

Edit - sorry the pics came SO big, I'll try 600 on the tall side next.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 21-Jun-11 01:48 AM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

I have my D5100 set for Continuous AutoFocus.
My AE-L/AF-L button has been reprogrammed to AF-ON.
I use Aperture Priority
Single Center Spot
And take stills using the View Finder.
Live View can be very good if you use a TriPod and zoom the image before taking the shot.
It focuses extremely well for me.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 21-Jun-11 03:10 AM
#4. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Nice shot Roger!;,nice to have the trees behind - instead of sky.

I have 3 more from my trip with this new camera.

Not a perfect camera , but good enough!.

I'm liking mine,and starting to use live view for ...only as needed.

Well , here's the pics - I worked with these more.

The fish-bowl one here,and the one above-in my other set of 3,is with my newly replaced Tokina 10-17.

Happy day/Larry

Oh,as you can tell - BIG wind,I like these crazy wind shots.!

ceh5100 Registered since 27th May 2011Tue 21-Jun-11 04:26 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 21-Jun-11 04:27 AM by ceh5100

US

I am just amazed at the beautiful shots you all are getting with the 5100, they are awesome.

I am with my 3 week old D5100, my first dslr.. Getting to know it. Just slapped on a 55-200 lens, and took this pics..

http://www.cehoward.net/zoom57.jpg

http://www.cehoward.net/zoom64.jpg

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Tue 21-Jun-11 11:12 PM
#6. "RE: Got my D5100,my thoughts and pics to follow...;"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Howard.Fear not! ; most of "us" have been photographing many,many years.

All will come in time.You have a good set-up.- ,just a matter of (shooting your passion)/what YOU are very interested in.
(and doing it well)(anything good - is worth doing well)

What you want photography to be for you ... ; that do!.

So far - your shots are looking sharper than mine!!

I'm so enjoying photographing.!

OK. These last 3 ,are gonna be my last 3 in this post,and are from this coast trip.

Very enjoy/happy day to all/Larry

ZenNonna1 Registered since 14th Jun 2011Sun 26-Jun-11 07:22 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Every time I insert a new sd card the shutter tags the photo as #1. This is driving me crazy. My MAC thinks new photos from different card are all the same photo as it is looking @ the photo number. Can find anything that tells the camera to do cumulative shutter count or photo numbering. Am I missing something here.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 26-Jun-11 07:40 PM
#8. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

>Every time I insert a new sd card the shutter tags the photo
>as #1. This is driving me crazy. My MAC thinks new photos from
>different card are all the same photo as it is looking @ the
>photo number. Can find anything that tells the camera to do
>cumulative shutter count or photo numbering. Am I missing
>something here.

You can usually only go to 999 before the camera starts over.
That is why it creates a new folder.
After editing out the blurs, headless shots, etc. I rename my photos
starting withe the date, photographers initial and then a number up to 10,000 although it could be more.

ZenNonna1 Registered since 14th Jun 2011Sun 26-Jun-11 09:50 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Camera is a month old. Tried with three cards in succession took one photo on each card all were numbered 001

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 26-Jun-11 11:56 PM
#10. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

>Camera is a month old. Tried with three cards in succession
>took one photo on each card all were numbered 001

Read your manual.
You can change the camera setup to start over each time or continue the numbering sequence.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Jun-11 08:29 AM
28945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

>Read your manual.

Providing a page reference always helps. I would do so myself, but I don't have a D5100 manual to check in.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ZenNonna1 Registered since 14th Jun 2011Mon 27-Jun-11 09:44 AM
#12. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I gave up. I looked thru manual guess I did not know subject title. But set up return & exchange with my vendor for d7000 I was already frustrated with controls buried in menu. I learned from this experience:
1. Practice more patience
2. Until my knowledge is greater still with things that are similar like control placement
3. Keep wallet open if your mind is not LOL

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 27-Jun-11 02:13 PM
#13. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

>I gave up. I looked thru manual guess I did not know subject
>title. But set up return & exchange with my vendor for
>d7000 I was already frustrated with controls buried in menu.
>I learned from this experience:
>1. Practice more patience
>2. Until my knowledge is greater still with things that are
>similar like control placement
>3. Keep wallet open if your mind is not LOL

Download a copy of the D7000 manual now.
Obviously you will still need to read thru all of it.
If a PDF you can do a word search.

The controls are much easier to use on the D7000 plus it is better for sports or other action.
The D5100 is better for Video, and hiking.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 27-Jun-11 02:46 PM
28945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: HELP new 5100"
In response to Reply # 12

Paignton, GB

When you get your D7000 manual (either printed or downloaded as a PDF), you'll find the part about how the camera numbers your image files on page 218, under Custom Setting d8 File Number Sequence

To stop the camera re-starting from 0001 all the time, you'll need to set this menu item to ON.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3820 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.