nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3807
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics" Previous topic | Next topic
DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Tue 14-Jun-11 01:23 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"

BR

Some tests with my D5100 and my Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD lens.

I wanted an all-in-one lens but starting to learn it's a waste of time.

As I have a DSLR now, better forget about not wanting to change lens and have great/good ones for different focal length purposes.
Or at least have just regular range zoom.

Anyway. I had to go to the process of having an all-in-one to experiment by myself.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=19347

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics
dreed107 Silver Member
14th Jun 2011
DannyGordon Silver Member
14th Jun 2011
dreed107 Silver Member
15th Jun 2011
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
17th Jul 2011
17th Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
17th Jul 2011
Drbee Silver Member
15th Jun 2011
DVDMike Silver Member
03rd Jul 2011
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
07th Jul 2011
07th Jul 2011
ammthe
17th Jul 2011
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
17th Jul 2011
FXOjafar Silver Member
28th Aug 2011
28th Aug 2011
07th Jul 2011
07th Jul 2011
07th Jul 2011
07th Jul 2011
09th Jul 2011

dreed107 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2011Tue 14-Jun-11 03:04 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Warren, US

Hi Danny, Your post was very timely. I'm getting a D5100 and am trying to decide on a lens. I was leaning toward the the same Tamron. I enjoy nature & landscape photography, but also enjoy macro. Would you recommend this Tampron along with a macro, or some other combination which gives me a good long lens? Thank you.

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Tue 14-Jun-11 04:41 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 1

BR

Hi Don. Thanks for answering my post.

Well, after having the experience with a jack of all trades myself, I must say it is better to avoid this kind of lens if you want the best IQ your camera body can give you in all of your shots.
It is great when you don't want (or can't) to keep changing lens on... let's say... a family trip or when you are travelling with other people that don't want to wait 10, 20 or 30 minutes for you to try all your 3 lenses and walking around a famous landscape or monument to get the best composition ever of the thing.

But you'll definitely have better image quality with a lens designed and engineered to master specific focal lengths and kind of photography.

So it depends on what you want or need.
If you want to get home and have a great pleasure looking to the pics you just transferred to your computer knowing the body and lens did the best they can to deliver the best tack sharp image (of course it also depends a lot on your skills as a photographer to help them), it's better not buying an all-in-one lens and get yourself 2 or 3 good ones in different fields of photography.

When I bought my D5100 at B&H last month (with the 18-55mm kit lens) I also bought a Nikkor 55-300mm. As it was my first time with a DSLR (Last time I had a film SLR was in the early 90's) I thought it was a better idea to get an all-in-one lens. So I went back to B&H and changed the Nikkor for this Tamron.

Now I kind of regret that. I wish I had more time to do a research and wish I had bought two more good lenses instead of this specific Tamron.

Now I know it's better to change lens and have good ones for different kinds of focal length and necessity.
Otherwise having a DSLR wouldn't make sense.
It is better to take advantage of the great sensor and technology DSLRs have nowadays and
use them with the best lens one can afford for the kind of camera he or she has.
Sure you don't want to spend thousands of dollars in a bunch of lenses to use with a D5100 or even a D7000.
But hundreds doesn't hurt too much and will work accordingly.

I'm saying that because I sometimes got home after a shooting session thinking how would my images be like if I had better lenses for each situation I handled with the all-in-one?
Of course one can take great pics with this Tamron. One can take great and genius shots with a cell phone these days! You just have to have the talent, the study and the practice.
But with better and appropriate lens on your camera body at least you know it's your fault as a photographer when an image turns out out of focus, or soft, or not tack sharp and properly exposed.

So keep that in mind. I've been there. In fact I am in this situation right now.

>Hi Danny, Your post was very timely. I'm getting a D5100 and
>am trying to decide on a lens. I was leaning toward the the
>same Tamron. I enjoy nature & landscape photography, but
>also enjoy macro. Would you recommend this Tampron along with
>a macro, or some other combination which gives me a good long
>lens? Thank you.

dreed107 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2011Wed 15-Jun-11 01:29 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 2

Warren, US

Thanks very much for your insight, Danny. Gives me a lot of food for thought.

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 17-Jul-11 06:18 AM
887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 2

Brighton and Hove, UK

>But with better and appropriate lens on your camera body at
>least you know it's your fault as a photographer when an image
>turns out out of focus, or soft, or not tack sharp and
>properly exposed.

I think this is an expensive way to find out that the photographer is most often to blame for the quality of the images. Ultimate sharpness, contrast and colour rendition certainly add to the quality of an image, but they don't really matter if the composition or light isn't particularly compelling. As you have said yourself in this thread, and as Brian demonstrated with his images, you can do very well with a budget or all-in-one lens.

I think for many people an all-in-one is an excellent idea because you can explore a big range of focal lengths without having to invest several thousand dollars. If you get to a point where you think you need something better, at least you'll know which focal lengths to focus your spending on. And the all-in-one is the perfect standby for travel when you don't want to haul the big bag of good stuff.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Sun 17-Jul-11 04:50 PM
#14. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 13

BR

Right. That's why I bought my Tamron 18-270mm. To walk around NYC as a turist and not bother to change lens.

But now I have in my bag the 18-55 kit lens, the 35mm 1.8 and the 55-300.
Want a 10-24 now and I think I'm set.
Well, I still want to adventure myself in macro photography so I'll need a lens for that too later on. Or maybe I can get a Raynox 250 to get me going.

Cheers!

>I think for many people an all-in-one is an excellent idea
>because you can explore a big range of focal lengths without
>having to invest several thousand dollars. If you get to a
>point where you think you need something better, at least
>you'll know which focal lengths to focus your spending on. And
>the all-in-one is the perfect standby for travel when you
>don't want to haul the big bag of good stuff.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 17-Jul-11 05:04 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 14

Monterey Bay, US

>
>>I think for many people an all-in-one is an excellent
>idea
>>because you can explore a big range of focal lengths
>without
>>having to invest several thousand dollars. If you get to
>a
>>point where you think you need something better, at least
>>you'll know which focal lengths to focus your spending on.
>And
>>the all-in-one is the perfect standby for travel when you
>>don't want to haul the big bag of good stuff.
>

If you buy an all in one like the 18-200, it can be a revelation to review the EXIF on your images and find what length and f-stop you are using most.
Beware, this can be deceptive. When at the Grand canyon I shot mostly 10mm and at Yosemite 24mm on my 10-24 and 28mm on my 28-300

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 15-Jun-11 02:27 AM
5840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This lens stuff is personal, experiential and changes as life, family, friends and connections change - the roots of NAS.

The 5100 is such a nice compact camera it can also be a problem to find a lens/lenses that fit the plans for such a compact form factor.

My first DSLR (after years of film and many, many Nikon lenses) was a D200 (not quite so small). I bought an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS DX kit lens with the camera that turned out to be exceptional.

For quality now, I'd include at least a VR lens in my choice. I wouldn't be quite so concerned about dust problems that arise from lens changes as the new dust abatement additions to sensor seem to work quite well. For a lens that would stay on my camera for most everything but the exceptions (for how I work), I'd pick the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 AFS VRII lens.

I'd want one small lens that works in many situations that was of exceptional quality. That would be the 35mm f/1.8 AFS DX lens.

For those occasional situations where a more telephoto lens was needed, there are several to pick from. VR would be a necessity and either the 55-200 DX or 70-300.

After experimenting with many lenses on my DX, I settled on the 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX lens. I use it for nearly everything - family/friends/kids/grandkids/travel/events/walkabout. However, I really miss the full 16-85mm lens that met so much of my travel needs.

I'm not trying to persuade you in any one direction. Only to say that one lens never seems to work for everything, every time or forever. It's really good to try to sort out what you need in a fairly narrow range. See if your pick works as you think and progress from that point.

The kit lens is a very good starting point and if eventual change is needed it isn't quite so stressful (e.g. pocketbook pain). The kit lens may eventually be a great backup lens or one when you want to travel light.

Best Regards,
Roger

DVDMike Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2003Sun 03-Jul-11 03:36 PM
2213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 4

Metro Atlanta, US

Roger, good evaluation of lenses. I have been using the 35G 1.8 with my D300 for over a year and agree that this is the choice if you want just one lens for walking around with a small DX camera. The 17-55 is an outstanding performer and allows you to get take great landscapes as well as group shots. But it is a bit of a monster for a DX lens. We use this lens on DX as the primary lens for wedding receptions for my assistant. (My primary is the 24-70 on FX). It is an exceptional lens but may not be well balanced for the D5100. I have not tried the combo so I do not know for sure.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 07-Jul-11 05:07 AM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

I have or have had lots of Pro Glass.
I always seem to come back to Nikkors.
Right now because I like to travel light, I have a 10-24, 28-300, and 35 f/1.8 in my D5100 bag.

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 02:35 PM
#7. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 6

BR

I have now 3 lesnes on my D5100 bag.
All Nikkor.
The kit lens 18-55, the 35mm 1.8 and the 55-300 VR.
The all-in-one 18-270 Tamron it's out of the bag put aside as I will just use it when travelling with my wife that does not have the patiente to wait me change lenses or walk around trying to find the best angle for a nice composition.

ammthe Registered since 26th Jun 2011Sun 17-Jul-11 06:12 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 6

MM

I'm trying to choose between 28-300 and 18-200 for my d5100. Any suggestions please?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 17-Jul-11 07:08 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 16

Richmond, US

Depends on what kind of photography you want to do. The 28-300 is pretty long on the short end - presumably in the D3100/5100 forum you're on DX, so the 28mm is more or less a normal focal length, not a wide angle. On the other hand, the 300 end is quite long. This may be appropriate if, for example, you're an entry-level birder, or perhaps daylight sports.

On the other hand, the 18-200 is much more of a wide-angle to fairly long telephoto general purpose lens. It's also a lot smaller, lighter and about half the price of the 28-300.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

FXOjafar Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Sun 28-Aug-11 07:22 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 6

MY

>I have or have had lots of Pro Glass.
>I always seem to come back to Nikkors.
>Right now because I like to travel light, I have a 10-24,
>28-300, and 35 f/1.8 in my D5100 bag.

That's travelling light?

On a recent trip to Belarus and France, I took only my 18-55mm kit lens on my D5100 body and it served my needs perfectly. From portraits to landscapes/cityscapes.

I must admit however, the lure of greater versatility in a 28-300mm lens is tempting. I did kinda wish I had my 55-300 with me at times during the trip.

FXOjafar - Not a noob, not a pro, somewhere in between...

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 28-Aug-11 02:21 PM
#19. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 18

Monterey Bay, US

The only problem with the 28-300 on a hike or "walk about" is that when I get back I find most of my shots were at 28mm.
Lucky for me, the pictures at 28mm are very sharp.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Jul-11 03:50 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> I wanted an all-in-one lens but starting to learn it's a waste of time.

I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion. There is more than one variable here. One of them is the photographer, and one of them is the lens. You are drawing a conclusion about a whole class of lenses, namely all-in-ones.

Every single one of the following came from an all-in-one lens, in fact one that is often declared to be "mediocre" or even "poor" by the Internet pundits. Which of these would have been a better photograph if it had been taken with a "superior" lens?

All of these came from the Nikkor 18-200VR. Note the wide range of subjects - there are not many lenses that can do all of these things. The 2nd one made a good 12x18" print, despite the fact that it came off a 4mp D2h sensor. The last one is roughly equivalent to a shot of the same car taken ten minutes earlier or later, but with a pro-level 80-200/f2.8 AFS. And perhaps more pertinently, all but the last one came on a trip where the "better" lenses just didn't make the trip, because they were bigger, or heavier, or I couldn't be bothered to haul it around.

When I first put my online gallery together, I was absolutely shocked to discover that a full third of the selected images came from the 18-200VR. At the time I probably had 15 lenses, of which I was using at least 6 or 7 pretty frequently. But the 18-200VR got more of them in - because it was applicable in more situations. It was certainly better than the lens(es) that got left at home.

So I claim that the all-in-one lens - as a class - is NOT a "waste of time." It is a legitimate choice of tools, and in many cases it can deliver good to excellent results.

(For regular readers, sorry for posting this several times. But the question keeps coming up and I don't have the patience to go get another crop of examples each instance.)

------

As for the specific lens that you used... I had one of those Tamrons for a while. I had great difficulty getting good results out of it, although a careful inspection of the files reveals a number that are pretty good. I found it much harder to get good results out of the 18-270 than out of, say, the 18-55VR (the lowly $120 kit lens), the 18-200VR, or - frankly - even things like the Sigma 50-500 non-OS that actually require a lot of care and technique to use well. I suspect that the 18-270 glass is probably OK to perhaps even good, but something else about it is making it too hard to get good results. It might be - for example, although I'm speculating - that the VC takes a very long time to settle. If so, that would explain the poor results that I got. Or there might be some other explanation. If I get my hands on another copy I'll try some other things.

_____

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 04:37 PM
#9. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 8

BR

Sure.
Any camera and lens can get great results and great pics.
A great photograph does not depend on camera or lenses.
Depend on the mind and hands of the photographer.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Jul-11 06:16 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond, US

And I should also add that I have gotten reasonably comparable results from a Sigma 18-200 OS that I tried a couple of years ago. That one was slightly softer at the short end than the Nikkor and somewhat sharper at the long end. Again, the all-in-one class is useful in many circumstances. It's true that it rarely optimizes any situation optically as well as a dedicated or even semi-dedicated lens, but if considering the whole situation including opportunity, all-in-ones are often a very worthwhile option.

_____

DannyGordon Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jun 2011Thu 07-Jul-11 06:49 PM
#11. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 10

BR

Right.
An all-in-one has its purposes. As any other lens.
It is a good choice to travel light and when changing lenses is not an option or it is not desired.

Usually the photographer should use the appropriate body+lens combination that can give the results he or she wants to achieve or need to achieve.

Sorry. I used a wrong sentence to described an all-in-one lens.
(But I also wrote a lot more on an answer just below the first post. The phrase you picked is just a phrase, not a thought. The thought has more lines written and is just below the first message, a few posts later).

So. An all-in-one It's not a waste of time.
It is what it is and for what it is.
And has positive and negative points.
As any other lens.
As many other things in one's life.

What it's important and worth repeating is that beautiful and unforgettable photograph has little to do really with the body or lens used.
There's much more to it.
That's the philosophy I tried to follow.
A camera/lens combination is just a tool.
Of course some tools are better than others and can help or not the photographer achieve what his or her mind is visualizing but they can't be the definitive instrument in the process of getting a really bad or a really good picture.
At the time I wrote the post I just wanted other tools.

>And I should also add that I have gotten reasonably
>comparable results from a Sigma 18-200 OS that I tried a
>couple of years ago. That one was slightly softer at the
>short end than the Nikkor and somewhat sharper at the long
>end. Again, the all-in-one class is useful in many
>circumstances. It's true that it rarely optimizes any
>situation optically as well as a dedicated or even
>semi-dedicated lens, but if considering the whole situation
>including opportunity, all-in-ones are often a very worthwhile
>option.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 09-Jul-11 04:36 AM
#12. "RE: D5100 - DSLR Learning Process pics"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 09-Jul-11 04:41 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

If I could only have one (all in one) lens for my DX camera it would be the AF-S Nikkor 18-200.

However, I prefer the 28-300

and 10-24 Nikkors

I had to reduce this 12.4 MB JPEG drastically and save at 80% to get under the file limit.
You can check the EXIF/GPS info to find out exactly where I took this image.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3807 Previous topic | Next topic