nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3794
View in linear mode

Subject: "UberNoob: Bought D5000 off Craigslist... How do I know ..." Previous topic | Next topic
medparadise Registered since 12th Jun 2011Sun 12-Jun-11 07:40 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"UberNoob: Bought D5000 off Craigslist... How do I know if I got shafted?"

US

I am a first time dslr guy, and wanted to ease my way into the game buy purchasing a camera second hand. I think I got a good deal camera and lens for 500 but I can't be for certain.

The lens it came with was a Nikkor 50-200 VR. It's got a smudge from what I can tell on the lens, but the seller "said" it would come off easily.

I'm really nervous here. LCD worked, SD Card worked, I took a few pictures and they came out fine. I really don't know.

Any tips on things I should look at right now to make certain it's not a rotten piece of junk?

THANKS A MILLION!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 13-Jun-11 09:16 PM
3359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: UberNoob: Bought D5000 off Craigslist... How do I know if I got shafted?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If the outward appearance of the camera is good, it probably wasn't abused. The smudge on the lens may just be a fingerprint which will clean off OK. Put the camera on "Auto" and take a bunch of shots. If the auto-focus is working and the exposures are good, you're probably OK. The D5000 is a good camera to start with.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jc2011 Registered since 09th Jun 2011Mon 13-Jun-11 10:02 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: UberNoob: Bought D5000 off Craigslist... How do I know if I got shafted?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You may also want to check the shutter actuations on the camera by taking a photo in jpeg and opening it with a program like Opanda.

D5000 is "rated" for (tested by Nikon to) 100,000-cycle shutter actuations.

So closer the actuation is to 100,000 cycles, the higher statistical chance of shutter failure.

I would guess that the shutter life expectancy in real world situation would be skewed closer to 100,000 (say, between 70k to 90k) for D5000 simply based on d40's performance on this site:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d40.htm

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3794 Previous topic | Next topic