Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3769
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Fri 10-Jun-11 04:07 PM
1990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"

US

Hi all.My D5000(stolen)is getting replaced with D5100.

I counted my D5000 as good to good plus.Reviews on 5100 show slight improvement in several areas.

I LIKE the (side)swivel MUCH better..., and more importantly;
the live view is like twise as fast - though 3x as slow as P+S's
with swivel.
(I got to try it in Best Buy ,-bought two outfits there)

Point is ; live view is MORE useable on D5100 as per D5000.

Reviews tell of (some) quirks.

Tell me what you think of yours - if you would.

I know Sony55 is MUCH better for what I am trying to do;(live view-as a P+S does).(though not a full swivel screen)

;for me - Sony(switch)MAY have cost too much;I have a Sigma 8-16,which I love,and...
'so lens mm span'
;my Tokina 10-17 was on my D5000 when it got stolen...

...;so Tues. my D5100 plus Tokina (NEW-AF model)10-17 for DX fomat,
should arive.

Guess,life is about choices!

(To complicate matters more ; I picked up a Minolta Maxima 70-300mm
,near mint condition a while back.(This AF lens works/should work on Sony cameras).)

AND - for size,weight and price,DX is "NOT BAD" for an SLR type camera.(save the sigma 8-16 monster lens - but ; it GIVES me the full wide I want -in recliniar).!

Anyway ;

what of YOUR 5100 do you like or dislike,and why...etc.

Thanks , Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Jun 2011
Reply message RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jun 2011
John D
11th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
11th Jun 2011
John D
11th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Jun 2011
jpFoto
12th Jun 2011
John D
12th Jun 2011
John D
12th Jun 2011
jpFoto
12th Jun 2011
John D
12th Jun 2011
ceh5100
12th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Jun 2011
Magnum164 Silver Member
13th Jun 2011
rhithyn
13th Jun 2011
Larry E30 Silver Member
13th Jun 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 11-Jun-11 02:08 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

I like the size and weight for trips and hikes.
I like the articulating screen for Video but not for stills.
I like the image quality and focusing capabilities.
I like the Auto-ISO 6400 images.

I like all the controls but do not like them buried in menus.
I also do not like having to be in live view or some other mode to find them.
But this is the trade off you pay for small & light.

I do not like the grip or lack of a lock on the multi selector.
I use the AF-ON (programed AE button) to focus and my hands are constantly moving the focus spot by bumping the multiselector.
Others may not have this problem.

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 11-Jun-11 05:07 PM
1990 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Wow!,;thank you Roger. I thank you for your review.

I have had way too many a digital camera - that controls are
accedently being changed.Oh,and;being burried in menues.

I'm (almost) getting used to it...like ; "how stupid was it to put this or that control"(I'd say to myself),or NOT have an outside button for...

I wish 'they'd' have their best minds on it,WITH proper time frame and funding...etc.

My camera will be here soon enough - but if you read this and are willing;

Why did you not like it for live view stills?Was it the delay in the focus?
I was kinda hoping to use as a live-view camera.!.(I have 'tried it in Best Buy)-so I'm not going into it blindly...
and I had the D5000 which is twise as slow as the D5100...

Thanks ,and happy day , Larry

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 12-Jun-11 02:48 AM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

>Wow!,;thank you Roger. I thank you for your review.
>
>
>Why did you not like it for live view stills?Was it the delay
>in the focus?
>I was kinda hoping to use as a live-view camera.!.(I have
>'tried it in Best Buy)-so I'm not going into it blindly...
>and I had the D5000 which is twice as slow as the D5100...
>
>Thanks ,and happy day , Larry

What I do like about Live View stills is the ability to zoom the image before taking the shot.
It can really help get the focus right.

What I don't like is that it really uses up the battery.
You will be lucky to get a couple hundred shots, especially if you review.
The other day using the viewfinder I took almost 3,000 large fine JPEGs on one "conditioned" charge.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 11-Jun-11 07:28 PM
25035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Larry,

Congratulations on your new D5100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

John D Registered since 12th Jan 2005Sat 11-Jun-11 08:20 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think you will like your D5100 a lot. After having mine for a week or so, and coming from other Nikon DSLRs - here is my short list, if it helps.

On the plus side:
- Image quality. Compared to my D200, I really appreciate the image quality. It also appears that Nikon addressed some of the built in color curves/settings - moreso over my D70.

- Size/Weight. Excellent for the features. While I keep looking for the buttons next to the screen (a la D200/D70) for quick access to shooting adjustments (I shoot manual or aperture priority), I'm getting used to the display menu.

- HDR. I bought the D5100 for this feature, as I do a lot of real estate shoots for brokers selling +$1 million properties, and more control over ambient lighting is a huge plus. Without HDR, I used to average and bracket with the D200. The D5100 allows me a bit more latitude, but I'll reserve comment until I play more.

- I don't shoot videos - so I have no comment about movies and stuff..??

On the minus side:
- I really - really - really wish there was a way to lock the focal point. I have small hands, and yet - I move it around by hitting that danged wheel..

- Auto ISO in manual mode. I wish there was a way to lock in ISO in manual mode - maybe there is, and I haven't found it?

- Len's compatibility is somewhat limited given my lens "arsenal". Given my expanse of film/digital bodies, I have only several that will work with autofocus with the D5100. Metering appears to work just fine, however (which is "THE BIGGIE" for me anyway )

Overall..? I think you'll love your D5100. While it's not the "semi-professional" build quality of the higher-end Nikons - it certainly doesn't disappoint for features, image quality, improved firmware and the like...

Just from my end of the viewfinder... YMMV...

John

D5100, D200, D70, F3HP, FA, FE2, FM2, FM, FE, FG, FTN
Nikon customer since 1971, which doesn't mean anything 'cept I'm probably older than you..???

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 11-Jun-11 10:14 PM
#5. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks John.

I hope that HDR thing works good!(hope once the mirror pop's up,that it quickly shoots the 3,rather than slapping up and down three times)

I wish it had the auto-pano stitch too,though I heard in Sony(a camera club member)-that it's so-so on quality.

I been useing Microsoft ICE for this sort of thing ... with OK results for me.(joining images into one)

And for me - FINALLY - after all this time of owning the D5000(I think two years)- I had a custom mode set up that I was CONTENT with,then it gets stolen!

And even if I wrote it down,(gotta check),I heard this is a new sensor from the D5000 > is more like the D7000.

I seem to be happiest with neutral/dull setting with added pop,...
but NOT too much,equalling a custom setting.
And I tried MANY.
Went through about 30 custom modes!!!

And, as I think all should do...; when ya get a new camera;

CHECK for dead pixels.! To me it's UNacceptable for a new camera(over $100.00)to leave QC with DEAD pixels!!!

Just for any new people ; I do this test on a nice/blue sky day...
say from minus 2 stops to plus two stops - in 1/3 stops.

Then look close on your main computer>zoom in and (cover)all area for
ANY white (HOLES)-as ya zoom it in more and more they are squareish pixels.(I returned 2 D5000's for dead pixels)

So that 'focus point' thing seems to be one of D5100's bad points.

I don't do much of any video/movies either ,we have a real good cam-corder.

And yes!; so far ;I bet I will love the D5100,though NOWHERE near perfect.
Quality,size,weight,Swivel,HDR's,cost ...etc. > not bad!

Thanks/Larry

John D Registered since 12th Jan 2005Sat 11-Jun-11 11:03 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 11-Jun-11 11:09 PM by John D

US

I think with the HDR test shots I've done - you'll want a tripod, as the D5100 overlays two sequential pictures. Your D-Lighting settings you'll need to adjust as well, to get what you saw in your mind before pressing the shutter.?? It's a little different than my D200 and film cameras where I used bracketing, and then merged the three pictures with (nameyoursoftwarehere).

As for custom curves - yes - the D5100 will accept those - BUT - given the differences in the firmware and Exspeed 2 handling - you'd probably have to reprogram the D5100 anyway from your curves in the D5000.?

As for dead pixels..? It's one of my "hot buttons" as well - but none of Nikons arrived with any. My D200, now years later and now only after tens of thousands of shutter actuations now has ONE that popped up a few months ago, and it is only one dead pixel. I can live with that - but, overall Nikon - in my view - does an outstanding job on outgoing Q&A.?

Anyway - when you get a few pics under your "trigger finger" with your D5100, I'd love to see some pictures from your example, OK?

As for me - I'm playing with a new Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM - which works great on my D5100. As does my Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF - which I think will be my two prime lenses for my real estate clients. I've used the Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 on my D200 with bracketing - and it sure did NOT fail...!!!

Keep us posted about your D5100, OK????

My Best to you!

John

Nikon customer since 1971, which doesn't mean anything 'cept I'm probably older than you..???

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 12-Jun-11 12:22 AM
#7. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Yea!,can't wait to post photos with it.! Thanks.
I basicly have 4 lenses (+ 2 converters)

I'm such an 'all in one person' ; I thought the HDR option would take all 3, then join them into one perfect photo.

Like pano-stitch , ; I had an Olympus 7010 that used to take and join 3 IN CAMERA!(HH too,and come out good-to boot)

I know Pano-stitch and HDR are different ... ;

but ;

I predict most good cameras of the future will have BOTH pano-stitch AND HDR 3/or 5 exposure IN CAMERA.!!!
> to an optimum exposure AND coming out at 16mp (eqv.)!

...or the likes thereof.
Cameras of the future will be SO MUCH SMARTER ! - they won't need us-HA!

OH , the reason I wrote back this time ;

John - I have the Sigma 8-16 also.(and I love it) !- if I didn't,I MOST LIKELY would have replaced my STOLEN D5000 with Sony 55 ... cause I have a Minolta Maxima AF 70-300mm.(I'd have to settle for half a swivel - but quicker live view capture)

The D5000 was "good" in most directions...so the 5100...will be 'more good'.Esspecially because I can use more live view...

Oh happy day! , Larry

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 12-Jun-11 01:47 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Auto ISO in manual mode. I wish there was a way to lock in ISO in manual mode - maybe there is, and I haven't found it?

John

I don't have a D5100, but it sounds like a very nice camera, and I'm sure that all of you will enjoy it. As for locking in ISO, just turn Auto ISO off. That's really the only way to do it on any camera.

jP

John D Registered since 12th Jan 2005Sun 12-Jun-11 02:00 PM
#10. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 12-Jun-11 02:01 PM by John D

US

>I don't have a D5100, but it sounds like a very nice camera,
>and I'm sure that all of you will enjoy it. As for locking in
>ISO, just turn Auto ISO off. That's really the only way to do
>it on any camera.

Hi JP,

Many thanks! But, as I do interiors for real estate agents, even if I manually set "ISO" (as I do on my D200, D70 and manual cameras) and use Live View (which is GREAT when the camera in on a tripod in a tight corner and I can't get my "fat head" to the viewfinder ) - ISO wanders all over in either of my preferred shooting modes - A or M??

I'll continue to play with it, as I have yet to take it on a contracted shoot (but will be taking it early this week along with my D200..).

JP, many thanks again!

John

John D Registered since 12th Jan 2005Sun 12-Jun-11 02:06 PM
#11. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>....and use Live View (which is GREAT when
>the camera in on a tripod in a tight corner and I can't get my
>"fat head" to the viewfinder ) - ISO wanders all
>over in either of my preferred shooting modes - A or M??...

Hi JP..!

Actually - I may have just figured out the answer to my own problem - thanks to your earlier post - thank you! If I compose in Live View - shut off Live View - then take the pic, all should be good... I think?? (Dear Lordy - there are times I *REALLY* love my Manual Nikons )

My best to you!

John

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 12-Jun-11 02:40 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi John

I just tried to replicate your situation with my D3100. I turned off Auto-ISO, set my sensitivity to ISO 100, used A and M with live view; shot some outside shots; some low light inside shots; and every one of them kept the ISO as I had set it, at ISO 100.

You must not be turning it off correctly if it still varys. I hate to get too basic since I know that you own and use a number of cameras, but in the Shooting Menu, I go to "ISO sensitivity settings; then to Auto ISO sensitivity and choose "OFF."

If that doesn't work then I am really baffled.

Good luck.

jP

John D Registered since 12th Jan 2005Sun 12-Jun-11 03:28 PM
#13. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>Hi John
>
>I just tried to replicate your situation with my D3100....
>You must not be turning it off correctly if it still varys. ...

JP,

I owe you a beer!! Thank you!! I read your post - grabbed my D5100 and then I went to the Menu, Reset Shooting Menu - then AUTO ISO to OFF. Exited the menu, check it stayed "off" again by returning to the Menu - attached the silly KIT lens - and......

IT WORKS EXACTLY as you said..!!!!

Maybe I owe you two beers???

Thank you, JP!!

(BTW: Wonder what else I can mess up in the menus ???)

John

ceh5100 Registered since 27th May 2011Sun 12-Jun-11 04:03 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 13

US

What I like most about the D5100,and I am a newbie too, is the LACK of COMPLAINTS about this camera!!

Sure, I hear some experienced users talking about LACK of some features, buttons, and so forth, but no errors, flaws, back/front/under overfocusing errors as we hear about the D7XXX!! shhhhhhhh!

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 12-Jun-11 06:43 PM
#15. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thank you Roger.

Did not see your post - it got filed in up near your other post...

With my D5000 I had 4 batteries!I will have 3 with my 5100.

Being as I'm a live view user ; I get 40-180 photos (about) per digital camera/per battery.

And thanks guys - as you battle out opperational problems ... I'm intently learning.

I come from P+S cameras(swivel),(I also come from religion - but that's not what we're talking about!);

...so,I am VERY used to menue battling,try Olympus for that!!!

Hi to all!,and I do have GREAT intent for use of my 5100.
(Almost illusions of grandure - what beautiful (MAGIC)photography is...)

But,with my D5000 , I only used my live view WHEN I HAD TOO.It was terrible/VERY discouraging to use...and I love live view!!!

So - I'm hoping to go from useing live view 8% of the time,
to say 45% of the time ...or hopefully alot more.

True - I still want Nikon to come out with "the Larry D5200 Camera"

;say , same everything as d5100 - with no viewfinder,or mirror.

That way - I can use all my current lenses,little less bulk,AND VERY FAST FOCUS LIVE VIEW.(I know this is almost a Panasonic GH1,but Nikon will blow it away - in MANY areas;

like;size of sensor,IQ,high ISO - low noise ...etc.)

I know,I know - then it won't be an SLR.

...so what's wrong with different...? We already HAVE...
(and look at HOW different I am!!!)

And - this is 'off topic'TOO ;but a guy can dream!;

Now back to 5100.../happy day/Larry

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Mon 13-Jun-11 02:01 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I just got back from vacation with mine, I got it right before I left. I fell in love with it the first day, it is a major step up from my D50. I was always intimidated with the D50 for some reason and never stepped outside of AUTO mode. The first day with the D5100 and I was comfortably using P & S & A mode with what I consider good results, even if it was just random snapshots.

I found myself downloading Lightroom3 and Photomatix and reading up on HDR and bracketing at night on the beach. Always fun to clean sound out of the laptops after beach trips.

Some of the things I do not like:

1. Still need a flashlight to find buttons in low light. But I learned to carry a flashlight in my mouth with my D50, so not a major pain.

2. As I am learning more on how to create HDR (doing game programming, Artists created HDR images for me) and bracketing, I would like to see more than just 3 pictures in WB mode, but trying to learn the other modes as I realized HDR is nomrally not something done for quick snapshots, but they looked great. The auto HDR will probably be all I need, but would really like to learn and create my own HDR. Already have 3 books on HD

3. All of my lenses worked great, except for my Sigma 70-200m 1:2.8 APO. All of my shots from it were overexposed, I realized tonight that I had added a UV filter and polarizing filter so that may have had something to do with it. Need to go back to Florida again and try it without them:)

rhithyn Registered since 08th Jun 2011Mon 13-Jun-11 03:42 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 13-Jun-11 03:45 PM by rhithyn

Vancouver, CA

One thing I noticed is you have to remember to press the OK button and not just back out of the menu to commit the changes. It took me a bit to figure that one out after seeing my monitor settings not staying to what I set them to.

As for the D5100, i'm loving it. I've figured out a method to work with video in effectively manual mode, thanks to a youtube video showing how locking exposure does actually work in video mode and figuring a technique to control AF during video recording. (Set focus to AF-S and then half-press the shutter to get your initial focus then you can manually adjust if desired during filming or half-press to refocus when you want)

Another thing I noticed is HDR mode works better when you have Active D-Lighting turned off, since they're both kind of doing the same thing but through different methods.

It might not have all the features right at your fingers like the D7000 or as easy as the D3100 for beginners, but it fit just right in the price point/features for me.

Have I said I love the D5100 yet?

-----
New Nikon D5100 owner with Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens and ME1 mike

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Mon 13-Jun-11 04:30 PM
#18. "RE: D5100 ... do you like yours?...1 on the way;"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Thanks guys - I am reading ALL you guys write about this camera;

...mine might come today!;because with B+H...it useually comes the day they say(Tues.)-OR BEFORE!!!(today Monday)

I ordered while they last had batteries.(They ran out like right after me)

Shame the 5100 does not take the same batterie as the D5000.!!!!
I WOULD HAVE had an extra battery and charger...

;now - I'll probably sell them dirt cheap here on Nikonian.

Shame I didn't download my D5000 BEFORE it got robbed.
;I had test shots with my newly aquired Nikon (AIS,older MF lens)
50mm 1.4 and 50mm f2

I'm trying to go to the coast - but - I'm waiting for UPS > today tomorrow or Wed.

I hate to say this...but,MAYBE I'm being given a second chance with Nikon DSLR.
I'll be MORE keenly alert to (lift this camera to God - for connection to 'gift of photography'/dedication),and also to ; be more cautious about theift.

Useually - no one is MORE cautious than me.I never ever do(leave my DSLR in the car) - I just don't know what came over me.

...;I think I was depressed,it was UNDER a towel-hidden,it was nice wheather,van was locked and NO ONE has EVER broke into our van.

I been given a second chance - and I plan to make GOOD use of it.
...I hope to more keenly connect with (what photography is to/for me).

Seems like forever - when you're waiting for a camera and/or lens to be delivered.!

I had to choose between Sony55 and D5100 ... and I did.Maybe Nikon WILL come out with a better body - to do what 'I' want...
but ,for now;
I plan to fully appreciate THIS (D5100)camera.

Happy day/Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3769 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.