Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #367
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5000 Service Advisory" Previous topic | Next topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 16-Jul-09 02:18 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"

US

Nikon has issued a service advisory for the D5000 digital SLR camera. Some components related to the power controls have been identified as faulty and may prevent proper operation.

More details after the jump to Nikonians News.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory
Covey22 Moderator
23rd Jul 2009
seabass069
06th Aug 2009
Covey22 Moderator
06th Aug 2009
yellowfronty
07th Aug 2009
seabass069
08th Aug 2009
thosmm
09th Aug 2009
ImageHunter
09th Aug 2009
yellowfronty
14th Aug 2009
Covey22 Moderator
14th Aug 2009
zenon5940
15th Aug 2009
ImageHunter
15th Aug 2009
kubii
04th Sep 2009
ImageHunter
28th Nov 2009
slothead Gold Member
17th Aug 2009
jpc2764
05th Feb 2010
ENIGMACODE
13th Feb 2010
KWJams
15th Sep 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 23-Jul-09 01:23 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

UPDATED - Nikon has provided an applet page where you can enter your camera's Serial Number to see if it is affected.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

seabass069 Registered since 03rd May 2009Thu 06-Aug-09 01:04 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 1

Oak Harbor, US

Does anyone know how long Nikon will take to fix the issue? I sent my D5000 back to them over a week ago.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 06-Aug-09 03:16 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hello Daniel,

Please check previous posts in this forum for customer experiences:

Thread #1
Thread #2

Alternatively, you can also use Nikoscope to search for discussions related to your inquiry. Thanks!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

yellowfronty Registered since 04th Aug 2009Fri 07-Aug-09 03:07 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I sent my camera in on monday July 27. I just got mine back on Wed Aug. 5th The only concern I have is that it didnt have any paperwork or anything that says what they did or what was fixed. I dont even know if they did anything to the camera.

seabass069 Registered since 03rd May 2009Sat 08-Aug-09 04:05 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 4

Oak Harbor, US

I just got my camera back. Not sure what they did. No paperwork. I do know all of my settings have changed back to the defaults.

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Sun 09-Aug-09 06:12 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 5

Spring Hill, US

No paperwork here, either. Mode came back different. (I shoot A, came back M).

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

ImageHunter Registered since 29th Jul 2009Sun 09-Aug-09 04:14 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Aug-09 04:15 PM by ImageHunter

US

Although my D5000 is part of the recall, I'm not having issues with it. I still have not returned it for service. Hopefully, I won't have in the future.

yellowfronty Registered since 04th Aug 2009Fri 14-Aug-09 03:46 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Holly #### on a cracker. Nikon just sent me another service advisory for an additional and enhanced procedure for the one they already did. Seems like they have developed another repair procedure " further elevates the D5000's resistance to the power issue identified in the original Avisory." and they want me to send my camera back to them again, this time next day air. UPS is about as bad with packages as baggage handlers at the airport. I'am surprised my camera made it back the first time in one piece and now they want me to send it back again. What the h-e-double hockey sticks is going on. I just got my camera back on the 5th and now it will be gone again for a week. The only place I feel like sending my camera back to is Costco and getting my money back.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 14-Aug-09 02:21 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 8

US

In the interest of getting our members better informed, can someone please forward me the e-mail or notification of the second round of repairs? You can use the e-mail or Personal Message icon at the top right corner of any of my posts. Your identity will be held completely anonymous. Thanks!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

zenon5940 Registered since 26th Jul 2009Sat 15-Aug-09 01:29 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thanks to this forum I could return my D5000 to the store and buy a D90 instead... Story is I bought the D5000 on July 25th and then read this forum during the same week-end. This is when I found out about the recall.

When I returned the camera, the store employees did not know there was a recall. They started to check every D5000 serial number they had in stock only to find out all were concerned by the advisory ...

I was so glad I found this out here. Thank you "niconians.org" for being there ! I am now a member and it is my best investment ever since I own a Nikon.

By the way my D90 is a real jewel! I'm glad I got it instead of the D5000.

Thanks again to the niconians.

Clement

ImageHunter Registered since 29th Jul 2009Sat 15-Aug-09 03:44 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I decided not to send back my camera even if it's included in the advisory. I'm still shooting away while keeping my fingers cross. Nikon should consider giving away rebates with all the hassle they put the customers through.

kubii Registered since 04th Sep 2009Fri 04-Sep-09 11:07 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>I decided not to send back my camera even if it's included in
>the advisory. I'm still shooting away while keeping my fingers
>cross. Nikon should consider giving away rebates with all the
>hassle they put the customers through.

You should send it ASAP. I had the same tought until my camera died when I was shooting pictures in MoMA. I was very unhappy at that time. I also agree with the rebates idea since Nikon doesn't seem giving effort to resolve this issue other than "limited to two days in transit shipping", unless they want beginner dslr users to switch to another brand.

ImageHunter Registered since 29th Jul 2009Sat 28-Nov-09 02:18 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>>I decided not to send back my camera even if it's
>included in
>>the advisory. I'm still shooting away while keeping my
>fingers
>>cross. Nikon should consider giving away rebates with all
>the
>>hassle they put the customers through.
>
>
>You should send it ASAP. I had the same tought until my camera
>died when I was shooting pictures in MoMA. I was very unhappy
>at that time. I also agree with the rebates idea since Nikon
>doesn't seem giving effort to resolve this issue other than
>"limited to two days in transit shipping", unless
>they want beginner dslr users to switch to another brand.
>
You're right! After months of shooting with my D5000, my camera totally gave up this morning. I couldn't get it to start up in the middle of trying to take a shot of a woodpecker. Oh well, I guess I have no choice now but to send it back and go back to using my D40x for a while.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 17-Aug-09 10:46 AM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

Several respondents have remarked that they have received their D5000 back from Connecticut with no documentation and no evidence of what (if anything) was performed. The same occurred with my D5000.

Generally when parts alerts are issued by electronics parts manufacturers, the fault applies to a limited number of "lot numbers." All electronic parts (of any significant quality level) are produced one "lot" at a time and those lots are documented in case there was a specific problem found in any specific lot.

The first step in identifying the potentially faulty parts in a product is to identify what serial numbered products (in this case cameras) the part type was installed in. Because the camera industry may not apply 2-way-traceability, they may not be able to tell lot numbers of these parts were installed in what serial numbers of cameras.

So, the next step is to recall the cameras and open it up to see the lot number of the parts installed in the camera. This may be as simple as removing a cover and visually inspecting the part in question (the lot number is usually printed or etched - depending on the size of the part - onto the part). It is entirely possible that those cameras that returned very quickly (as mine was), was inspected and found that the part was not of the suspect lot number.

Subsequently, the part manufacturer may have identified other suspect lot numbers and thus the second recall notice may have been issued.

This is entirely speculative as it may apply to Nikon, but this is what some companies would do (I'm not going to name names) in this case. Sorry about the long dissertation. Perhaps it will be educational to some users.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

jpc2764 Registered since 08th Mar 2007Fri 05-Feb-10 01:36 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 12

plains, US

theres a serile# checker on the nikom website to see if you need to send your camera back or not.

ENIGMACODE Registered since 13th Feb 2010Sat 13-Feb-10 10:27 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Hello

Do you know how I can find out if the D5000 I'm going to buy is affected by this Advisory BEFORE I actually purchase it?

Don't have the money for the D90 Body, and from what I've read, the Low Light Capability is basically the same for both the D5000 and the D90. I'm aware of the lens restrictions with the D90, and the difference in the LED display screens. Recording Video with these cameras is meaningless to me. And from what I gather, I should see a BIG difference in improved Low Light Capability between my old D70s and a D5000.

All in all I'm leaning toward the D5000 body, and will continue to use my AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm lens, and SB-600 Speedlight.

Any other opinions would be appreciated

Thank you
Mike

Feel free to visit a 3 trailer for my WWII Documentary;
http://vimeo.com/7340608

KWJams Registered since 04th Sep 2010Wed 15-Sep-10 02:23 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon D5000 Service Advisory"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Whew!

Getting ready to take a 14 day motorcycle vacation through western Montana and Idaho and saw this thread.

Luckily my D5000 is not affected by this recall.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #367 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.