Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3601
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lenses for D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
martaafonsa Registered since 29th Apr 2011Fri 29-Apr-11 09:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lenses for D5100"

PT

Hello,

I am new in the world of photography, so I got myself the new Nikon D5100. I am very happy with the camera so far, so I would like to expand my experiments with new lenses.
Since I have no clue about lenses, I would like to know if there's a list of the available lenses with focus motor (Nikon and third party) as well as your suggestions, keeping in my mind that I have a small budget.....

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lenses for D5100
blw Moderator
30th Apr 2011
MEMcD Moderator
30th Apr 2011
ceh5100
27th May 2011
MEMcD Moderator
28th May 2011
ceh5100
28th May 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th May 2011
wellsiem
02nd Jun 2011

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 30-Apr-11 03:32 AM
26590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Like any other photographic equipment, lenses are solutions to photographic problems. Choosing a lens is a matter of deciding which problem you want to solve. In a case such as this where you really don't know what you want, my advice is to hold onto your money for a bit while you experience more photography. Sooner or later - and often very much sooner - you will discover that what you have fails to accomplish what you need or want to do. Those failures will inform you as to what lens (or anything else) will be most productive to obtain next. For example, you may develop an interest in the structure of mushrooms - so a macro lens may be next. Or you may be overwhelmed with the grand vistas of the open mountains, leading you to either a normal lens with a panoramic head, or an ultra-wide. Perhaps your kids have graduated to a new level in sports, and you need to take pictures of this indoors or at night, best done with a fast telephoto.

The way you've asked the question is very much analogous to saying "I have a new drill press, what bits fit in a 1/4" chuck?"

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 30-Apr-11 05:25 AM
25740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Marta,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Here is the list of lenses with a built in AF motor: List of Fully Compatible AF Lenses for D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, and D5100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ceh5100 Registered since 27th May 2011Fri 27-May-11 10:57 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I am newbie, and the 5100 will be my FIRST dslr. I will be getting in week. However, from reading about this camera, I saw the Nikon 55-200 on sale, the one with the auto focus and vibration reduction. Since it was on sale, I purchased it. IMO, the kit lens and a 55-200 will be great for a beginner like me, and carry me on to when I get better.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 28-May-11 02:53 PM
25740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Howard,

The D5100 combined with the 18-55mm VR and the 55-200mm VR will serve you well for genearal photography. Even the kit lenses are optically very good.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ceh5100 Registered since 27th May 2011Sat 28-May-11 07:38 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Hi Howard,
>
>The D5100 combined with the 18-55mm VR and the 55-200mm VR
>will serve you well for genearal photography. Even the kit
>lenses are optically very good.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Hi Marty, that tip was well recieved. The old man is a cheap skate, and was trying to wait until BestBuy knock the price of the d5100 with kit lens back down to $755. Well, it looks like that is not going to happen,and my 14 day window to return the d3100 has about 5 more days. However, checking on Bestbuy website, they have the d5100 body only for $799, oppose to $899 for the complete camera. For a second there, I was thinking about just getting the body. From your advice, there is a place for the 18-55..And the 55-200 takes over from there..So, no body only, I will get the whole package.

Thanks much, and I will enjoy this..Will post up big time when I get the box..Oh, one more thing. I will have to figure a way to keep the wifee hands off my camera too.. (big grin)

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 29-May-11 12:57 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 29-May-11 01:03 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

There usually are lots of new kit lens in the "I want to sell" Forum.
These are normally from people who could not get the camera body without lens and already have the range covered by other (usually more expensive) Nikkors.
My unused 18-55 will sell with the D5100 when t get a D400 &/or D800.

There are many threads on what others use with their D5100.
In my pro bag, I now carry the D5100 and D7000 bodies plus the 10-24, 28-300, 80-400,and 35mm f/1.8 Nikkors.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wellsiem Registered since 02nd Jun 2011Thu 02-Jun-11 03:12 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lenses for D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

HK

a 18-200 lens is enough. And maybe 50mm 1.8 85mm 1.8 lens in the future.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3601 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.