Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3553
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 or D5100?" Previous topic | Next topic
mikeyjoe97 Registered since 19th Apr 2011Tue 19-Apr-11 05:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 or D5100?"

US

Hello!
I'm brand new to the forum & to DSLR's in general. I finally convinced my wife it was time for a new camera but the question is "which one". I've narrowed it down to the 3100 and the new 5100.

My question is this:
Currently, my local camera shop has a rebate deal with the D3100 ($100 off) plus a rebate on a 200mm zoom lens ($150 off) if you buy both. So the total is around $700.

The D5100's just arrived yesterday with a price of $900. The zoom lens rebate does not apply with this camera, so I would either spend another $250 for the lens, or just wait on the lens for a couple months until I've started to figure things out.

So....do I spend the extra $$ now, get the newer/better camera and wait on the lens, or take the rebate deal on the D3100? Are the bells & whistles on the D5100 worth the price for a newcomer?

Any info would be most appreciated!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 20-Apr-11 03:52 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi

That's a very tough question and since the D5100 is brand new and not many of us know very much about it makes it even tougher. If money was no object then the answer would be simple, go for the newer better camera.

Since this is your first camera, and also since you do not have any other lenses or equipment, I would probably suggest that you just buy the D3100 with the 18-55 and 55-200. Use it for a year or two and then if you feel the need, upgrade to the D6100 or whatever shows up at that time.

On the other hand, I'm sure that you would not regret buying the D5100 with just one lens.

How's that for a really wishy washy answer? Sorry, but it's really a personal decision and neither would be wrong.

jP

mikeyjoe97 Registered since 19th Apr 2011Thu 21-Apr-11 03:06 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the advice! After thinking about it for a few days, I just don't think I can pass up that great deal on the D3100, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll play with it for a year or two and if I really start to get into the hobby, I'll consider an update!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Apr-11 04:14 AM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I am sure you will be very happy with the D3100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 26-Apr-11 01:18 AM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 or D5100?"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

>Thanks for the advice! After thinking about it for a few
>days, I just don't think I can pass up that great deal on the
>D3100, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll play with it
>for a year or two and if I really start to get into the hobby,
>I'll consider an update!
>
>
I was going to suggest a hands on test in the camera shop.
The D3100 is a great little camera but to light for me to hold steady.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3553 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.