nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3548
View in linear mode

Subject: "Updrade my D40 to D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
Poynton2011 Registered since 23rd Feb 2011Mon 18-Apr-11 01:44 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Updrade my D40 to D5100"

UK

I got to play with the 5100 on Saturday at the Gadget show and like the look and feel of it.

I take it this would be a big step up from my ageing D40. All my lenses are autofocus.

My friend is coming over from the states in May is it worth her bringing it over for me ?

Where is the cheapset place to buy in the states online ?

Is the warranty worldwide ?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 19-Apr-11 12:44 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Updrade my D40 to D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> I take it this would be a big step up from my ageing D40.

In some ways, sure. The files are surely much bigger. You can print them up to about 45 x 60 or so, whereas the 6mp ones from the D40 can only be printed to about 20 x 30 (ie the size of a door, rather than merely the size of a window). You can shoot at 4 fps instead of 2.5 fps. There's a video mode. The AF system is more advanced and has various tracking modes. High ISO is drastically better - a usable ISO 6400 compared to a not-really usable 1600, so at least two stops better and probably a bit more. There's the articulating LCD, plus some bracketing features.

Of these, I'd say the only thing that affects almost every user would be the high ISO. For example there are very few D40 users who make 20 x 30" prints more than once in a blue moon.

> All my lenses are autofocus.

The D5100, like the 5000/3100/3000/40/40x/60 does not AF with all "auto focus" lenses, but fortunately for your situation if they AF on the D40 they will also AF on the D5100.

> My friend is coming over from the states in May is it worth her bringing it over for me ?

"Just cuz I want it" is a fine reason to buy it, but I'm not hearing that you've encountered the limitations of your D40, so from a purely rational point of view I'd advise keeping your cash in your pocket. And that's really only answering the question "is it worthwhile to upgrade this?"

As far as buying the US and importing it to the UK... I only know about the reverse situation with certainty, but consider the following:

- import duties are probably non-trivial.
- check your EU consumer protection laws. Going the other direction, US law permits Nikon to refuse to service a camera imported by anyone other than themselves, and they generally avail themselves of this opportunity. I'm pretty sure that the EU/UK laws are stronger, but you'd wise to check in advance.
- remember that US prices, unlike UK prices, customarily do not include sales tax. And in some parts of the US, local sales tax approaches 10%. This is particularly true in NY and California, prominent places to buy in the US, where the sale taxes are around 9%. If you see something at $1000, you'll actually have to plunk down $1090 or so - plus the import duty to get it into the UK.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

whitenhiemer Registered since 04th May 2011Wed 18-May-11 09:45 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Updrade my D40 to D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

San Antonio, US

Does the 5100 have the screw type AF? Or does it require the AF-S lenses?

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 19-May-11 03:00 AM
2759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Updrade my D40 to D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

Tallahassee, Florida, US

It needs AF-S lenses to autofocus. (You can still use manual focus with AF lenses.)

Randy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3548 Previous topic | Next topic