nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #3543
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 with a flash" Previous topic | Next topic
chasf111   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2011 Sat 16-Apr-11 02:25 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 with a flash"
Sat 16-Apr-11 02:36 PM by chasf111

I just bought the D3100 and discovered I really need a bigger flash. The store recommended I buy the SB-600, but no one seems to have one. The SB-900 is way beyond my price range and the SB-400 doesn't seem big enough.
Any suggestions on a NON-Nikon flash comparable to the SB-600 in the $200-$250 range?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3100 with a flash gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: D3100 with a flash MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
17th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: D3100 with a flash Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
17th Apr 2011
Reply message RE: D3100 with a flash chasf111
21st May 2011
     Reply message RE: D3100 with a flash MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st May 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Sat 16-Apr-11 05:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 with a flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Apparently the store is not aware that the SB-600 has been discontinued by Nikon and replaced by the SB-700. The SB-700 is close in power to the SB-600 but adds features like being an on camera Master for 2 remote groups, an SU-4 optical trigger mode, and illumination shaping. But the price is a little higher than you are looking at.

There are refurbished SB-600 that become available at the Nikon outlet store.

Some have had good luck with the Metz units like Metz mecablitz 50 AF-1 TTL.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 17-Apr-11 12:41 AM
27603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 with a flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As George noted, the SB-600 ($279.95 Refurbished) has been discontinued and replaced by the D700 ($329.95 New).
The Metz 50AF-1 ($230.00 New) has about the same power and capability of the SB-600 including compatibility with the Nikon wireless flash control. It will also zoom to 105mm which is longer than the SB-600 (85mm).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine   US  Charter Member Sun 17-Apr-11 01:13 AM
10951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 with a flash"
In response to Reply # 0

If you can find an SB-800 refurbished or used in good condition, that would be a good fit as well. More powerful than the 400 to 700, but not a huge hulking monster like the 900.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

chasf111   US  Registered since 08th Jan 2011 Sat 21-May-11 02:51 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 with a flash"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up with the Metz 50 AF-1 flash. It works great and for the money its a great buy. The recycle time is a little slow, but not so slow I can't live with it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sat 21-May-11 04:56 PM
27603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3100 with a flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi Chuck,

Metz builds an excellent flash unit. You will be happy with it.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #3543 Previous topic | Next topic