Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3418
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 - Blurry Images?" Previous topic | Next topic
Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 06:36 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 - Blurry Images?"

US

Hello all, I am new to the forums and probably have the simplest question to be answered. I just got my D3100 about a month ago and have been taking photos ever since, but I was wondering why they seen to be blurry? I know that hand-holding the camera can affect this, but I don't think it should be affecting it this much, and I don't have a tripod yet, so that's not an option. I was wondering, is there a setting that maybe I'm overlooking that can fix this issue or anything? Any advice would be very helpful! Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?
aolander Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
30th Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
30th Mar 2011
aolander Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
30th Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
30th Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Mar 2011
SheriB Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
31st Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Mar 2011
aolander Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
d3100user Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
31st Mar 2011
jpFoto
31st Mar 2011
Reply message RE: D - Blurry Images?
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Mar 2011
jpFoto
31st Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
31st Mar 2011
jpFoto
31st Mar 2011
Andrea Lynne
31st Mar 2011
jpFoto
01st Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
01st Apr 2011
jpFoto
01st Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
02nd Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
03rd Apr 2011
jpFoto
03rd Apr 2011
toko
03rd Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
03rd Apr 2011
toko
03rd Apr 2011
jpFoto
03rd Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
03rd Apr 2011
jpFoto
03rd Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
04th Apr 2011
jpFoto
04th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
04th Apr 2011
jpFoto
05th Apr 2011
jpFoto
05th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
05th Apr 2011
jpFoto
05th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
05th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
05th Apr 2011
jpFoto
05th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
06th Apr 2011
J_Harris Silver Member
06th Apr 2011
Andrea Lynne
06th Apr 2011
J_Harris Silver Member
06th Apr 2011
JackMcGowan
23rd May 2011
fly on the wall
04th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
04th Jun 2011
fly on the wall
05th Jun 2011
briantilley Moderator
05th Jun 2011

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 30-Mar-11 07:27 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Mar-11 07:28 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Blurry photos can be the result of inaccurate focusing or from camera and/or subject motion. If you are taking photographs in dim light (without flash), the problem would be from using a shutter speed that is too slow to stop camera movement or subject movement or both. You will probably have to tell us more about what you are taking photos of and how, e.i. subject, lighting conditions, focusing technique and modes, etc. Posting an image would also help.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 08:00 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I've posted a picture in the other reply, if that can help you? If there is any other information that I can provide that isn't there, please let me know.

Thank you for replying!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Mar-11 07:30 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Welcome to Nikonians,

Without a sample image it is pretty hard to tell what is going on.

Hand holding technique has a lot to do with blurring images on 35mm and FX media that is twice as large and the D3100. The reduced sensor size with the large focal length lenses makes even the smallest movement visible. If you are using a shutter speed or less than 1 / (1.5 * focal length) for a minim shutter speed. Also the larger the number of pixels the more evident that any movement will appear in more than one pixel. Some posters have noted that breathing or hear beats can even affect the sharpness of focusing.

Not allowing the VR lens enough time to lock on the scene can cause blur as the VR system locks in. The lens becomes inactive when the camera focus times outs and needs to stabilize after the focus system wakes up.

Not knowing where the focus point is or how the focus point interacts with the subject can cause blurring. A moving target needs to be tracked by panning or by an active focus point. Using the 'closest' object can have the focus system lock on a object that you do not want the focus on. You could also have the wrong focus point selected.

Another issue many photographers overlook is the Depth of Field, DOF, or the area that is in acceptable focus. Unlike the human eye that constantly adjust the focused item and blends a series of images into one perceived image, your camera lens with a given aperture opening and given focal length will only have a limited area the appears to be in focus or you can not tell that an item in that area is not at the precise focus distance. This area can be from only several inches to hundreds of feet. The smaller the aperture the smaller the DOF for that image. For example with an f stop of 3.5 and a focal length of 18mm and a 10 foot focus distance, you would have in focus depth of 20.8 feet from 6.14 to 27 feet in focus but at a focal length of 55mm you only have an area of 1.42 deep in focus from 9.38 to 10.7 feet. See DOF Master for more information. Increasing the f stop and making the iris smaller will add greater DOF to a limit where the smaller iris opening adds diffraction or blurring to the image. This generally starts above f 11.

Another issue is how you release your shutter. Depressing or pushing the shutter release can cause the camera to be pushed down during the exposure. One needs to very softly squeeze the shutter release or roll their shutter finger from the on/off switch to the shutter release.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 07:59 PM
#3. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

A lot of this things that you are saying don't really make sense to me just yet, but I think I kind of understand what you are saying. Even with the fastest shutter speed I seem to be having problems, I have just upped it just to see if it would make a difference and it doesn't. I usually try to use a shutter speed of 1/25 - 1/30. Is that too slow? Maybe it would have something to do with how I set the white balance? I'm not really sure. I just want sharper images! Or am I expecting too much from my camera?

Here is an example of what I am talking about: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5575136866/

With this image I used an ISO or 1600, Zoomed in at 180mm, F/5.6, and the shutter speed is at 1/25. Do you think maybe that I had the shutter speed too slow? I was going by the <||||||||+||||||||>, not sure what that is called, lol.
Maybe this will help in determining my problem?

Thank you for your reply! If you need anymore examples, I can give you some to help determine my problem.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 30-Mar-11 08:37 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 30-Mar-11 08:46 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The shutter speed is too slow for hand holding. You need to use at least 1/250 second to hand hold a 180mm. You probably don't have enough light for this shot to get a high enough shutter speed. A fast lens (f/1.8 to f/2.8 maximum aperture) would help.

"I was going by the <||||||||+||||||||>". That's the meter display. Zeroing the meter gives you the correct exposure, in most cases.

A good book for you to read would be Bryan Peterson's, "Understanding Exposure".

Alan

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 09:17 PM
#7. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I've actually been reading a book, it's been very helpful in understanding my camera.

It's called "Nikon D3100: From Snapshots to Great Shots"

A lot of the things that it's been teaching me have helped me progress. But you think that reading an exposure book will help? That's great, thank you so much for your help.

Well, sometimes I can get them to not be blurry, and other times I can't. I guess it's like a trial and error thing until you get the perfect shot. The only problem is, sometimes animals don't hold still long enough to get that second shot, lol.

Are you saying that I should just take all of my pictures with a tripod or try to up the shutter speed whenever I take pictures? Is there any way to take them with a faster shutter speed with a lower lighting condition without a tripod or anything?

-Andrea.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Mar-11 09:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 31-Mar-11 10:35 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

As noted, your shutter speed is too slow by a factor of 10.

The rule of thumb formula is the take the focal length, 1800mm for example, and multiply that value by 1.5 (an adjustment for the 1.5 crop factor of the D3100) to get a value of 270. That is the slowest fractional second you want to start at for obtaining a stable image with good hand holding technique. So your shutter speed needs to be at least 1/270 sec. Since your dSLR does not have this shutter speed, you should round that value up to the next faster shutter speed or 1/300 sec.

In general one wants to use the lowest ISO for a reasonable exposure. A lower ISO will eliminate or reduce the grainy appearance that hides sharp edges and softens the entire image.

I see you are stripping all of the Exif data from your images for you post, you might want to leave some of that data and remove most of the personal items.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 09:56 PM
#9. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I'll try that out then. Hopefully it will help. I knew you were supposed to have the lowest ISO, but I thought that if it was higher then it would have a faster shutter speed, but I guess that I had that backwards.

What do you mean Exif data? I'm guessing you mean by saving it as a JPEG? I take them, normally, in RAW, but I forgot to change it for a few pictures. Lightroom only lets me save it as a JPEG, unless the other formats would be acceptable for like Facebook or anything? I didn't know anything about the other formats so that's why I saved them in JPEG. What do you suggest for saving them and such?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Mar-11 11:12 PM
#10. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

With digital images and files not only can the camera record the image, but also a lot of camera settings and photographer entered data like a a comment, artist name, and copyright for example. The camera settings include the manufacturer name, camera model, date and time of the image, f stop, shutter speed, WhiteBalance, sensor size, Jpeg compression, focal length of lens, and equivalent 35mm focal length for example. Nikon even has a whole set of data that they include.

Look around other flicker galleries and you will see some of that data.

It looks like flickr changed how they list this data since the last time I looked at it.

Click on your camera name and a new window will open with lots of details. Ever wonder how flickr know your camera model?

And there is even more data buried within the image, including another Jpeg.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 30-Mar-11 11:19 PM
1593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Andrea
exif data is info imbedded in your image file that tells others what camera, lens, shutter speed, ISO, even the lens you used. If you go to one of our galleries and look at pics, when you open one up and view it on its own page, toward the bottom there are some options and one is "view exif data" click on it and it shows you all that info unless it has been removed , or in a case like my pics of the shoeing forge, I actually downloaded the pics from my camera to computer using a program that didn't support the exif.Didn't realize it until I loaded them into my gallery here.
You can add your own data too, like 'tags' that are keywords to describe teh image like yours might have "peafowl' or 'bird'

Sheri Becker

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 01:07 AM
#13. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Is there a setting that turns this on and off or anything on the camera? Maybe I just haven't noticed it yet? I'm not sure. I would like to see these things in my pictures.

Thank you for replying!

-Andrea.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 31-Mar-11 04:50 PM
#15. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 13

Chicago, US

No, not even for you cell phone's camera, iPod camera, or iPad camera which all add some identifying Exif data to their images.

Some photo edit programs can remove the data.

Reasons you would want to keep the data:

You can sort and search your images for specific information like the date taken. Or if you add keywords or subject, you could find images with the same keyword or subject. You could find images take by a specific camera model and possibly even by a specific camera.

Programs like Nikon transfer can automatically rename you images to include the date taken or other date with the Exif data so you do not have duplicate image names when the image counter of the image name rolls over 9999 or you use multiple cameras and the image names from from both cameras could be duplicated.

You can use the data to analyze how well you have selected the data that determines DOF, and some Exif readers will even compute the DOF for you.

This data is used by all programs for RAW or NEF images for understanding how to process the image. And if the data is not present you could not edit these types of files with vast majority of image editors.

Nikon technical support also uses this data for diagnosing some problems with the camera or verifying proper processing by the camera.

This data should only be removed as a final step to processing an image and then only if you have a backup of the image with this data.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 30-Mar-11 08:40 PM
#6. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Andrea said, "A lot of this things that you are saying don't really make sense to me just yet"

For persons who appear to be beginners, I think we need to "Keep it Simple" when we post an answer. Overloading them with a bunch of technical jargon is only going to confuse them more.

Alan

d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 11:47 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Andrea, a really good book for you would be Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Don't forget while you are learning your D3100 you can use the "P" (program) mode and observe the camera's settings to get a good idea what a particular scene may require. The D3100 also offers the Guide section as well and that will run you through the basics.

Read up on the camera and exposure basics and in no time you will be taking great shots with a very capable camera.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 01:09 AM
#14. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

That's what the other guy said to read, I'm guessing it would be extremely helpful, so I'll have to invest soon.
I never really thought to turn it to program mode to check those things out. That seems really helpful as well.

Thank you for replying!

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 07:18 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Mar-11 08:00 PM by jpFoto

US

>Adrea said: "I knew you were supposed to have the lowest ISO, but I thought that if it was higher then it would have a faster shutter speed, but I guess that I had that backwards."

You do NOT have it backwards. You are correct. I don't think that George meant to say that.

Also, do you have the switch on your lenses set to A as opposed to M? You would not see the </////0\\\\\\> screen at the bottom of your viewfinder if the lens was set to A. If it's set to M then you are in manual focus mode as opposed to AutoFocus mode which would certainly explain "blurry" pictures. The symbols do not have anything to do with metering, but rather it tells you that you are focused when you see the screen as above. However, you will get far better results most of the time if you turn autofocus on.

Alan probably thought that you were referring to the + -----0----- - that appears on the rear LCD which is, in fact, the meter info. For the time being, you do not have be at all concerned with that information.

Alan's camera has a different display for showing "in focus" information when he's in manual focus mode. In fact, I think that the D3100 may be the only Nikon camera that uses the </////0\\\\\> for manual focus, but I don't know that for sure.

jP

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 31-Mar-11 08:28 PM
#17. "RE: D - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 16

Chicago, US

Higher ISO introduces more electrical noise due to amplification of the signal being recorded and any stray electrical currents that the circuit picks up. This additional noise can cause a grainy appearance that softens the sharp edges of the image.

In normal daylight you should be able to shoot with an ISO of 400 or less.

At an ISO of 1,600 you should be have noise reduction turned on.

See page 132 of your user manual:

"Auto ISO Sensitivity Control

Noise (randomly-spaced bright pixels, fog, or lines) is more likely at higher sensitivities. Use the Noise reduction option in the shooting menu to reduce noise (p 134)."

From your images Exif data:

Camera Nikon D3100
Exposure 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 180 mm
Focal Length 179.6 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Date and Time (Original) 2011:03:26 04:14:47
Focal Length In35mm Format 270 mm
Serial Number 3240568
VRInfo Version 0100
Vibration Reduction On
Timezone -05:00
Daylight Savings No
Lens 55-200mm f/4-5.6
Noise Reduction Off
Focus Distance 5.01 m

Using the above information, your DOF in meters:

Depth of field
Near limit 4.93 m
Far limit 5.1 m
Total 0.17 m

In front of subject 0.08 m (49%)
Behind subject 0.09 m (51%)

or in feet:

Depth of field
Near limit 16.1 ft
Far limit 16.7 ft
Total 0.55 ft

In front of subject 0.27 ft (49%)
Behind subject 0.28 ft (51%)

You have an in acceptable focus depth of 6.6 inches.

You might also want to check your camera's time setting and time zone to make sure it is correct. It appears you are shooting at 4:14 am.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 08:59 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

George - That's all good information, but like Alan said, it's way too much for a beginner. We've got to keep it simple.

Also, read my post above yours so that you can straighten out the ISO and shutter speed issue from your earlier post.

jP

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 31-Mar-11 10:33 PM
#21. "RE: D - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri 01-Apr-11 02:39 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Thank you for catching that.

High ISO causes a graininess appearance to the recorded image and that grain softens sharp edges. This is even a known phenomenon with film that had higher ISOs.

With a DOF of 6 inches for an animal scene one is just going to have a lot of the area out of focus.

If that shot was during daylight hours and outside an ISO of 1600 would indicate there is some kind of filter reducing the available light available to the camera, it could be a circular filter or a Neutral Density filter. Which it appears from the image that that type of filter would be unnecessary.

My values for the DOF calculation and NR setting information comes from the Posted link Exif. The tail feathers look in focus and if that is focused distance then from that point back only 0.28 feet will be in acceptable focus. This is pretty thin.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 09:16 PM
#19. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Ahh. I see. I don't have it backwards then, cause the book I've been reading told me the opposite of what George did, so that's why I was like "huh?" lol.

I was actually talking about the meter reading thing on the LCD. I usually use it to make sure I'm not over or under exposed. I don't think I've really paid that much attention to the things in the view finder, I usually just try to focus it the best way I can. I try to use manual some of the time, just to try it out, but other times I try to take pictures of moving "targets" and it gets hard to manual focus on them.

But, if I read the thing you were referring to in the view finder, using manual focus, then it can help tell me when I am in focus?

Thank you for replying!

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 31-Mar-11 10:02 PM
#20. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 19
Thu 31-Mar-11 10:14 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Andrea

Although the basics of photography are the same for all cameras, it's difficult for someone that doesn't have a D3100 to help you set up your particular camera. I have a D3100 and I can assure you that it is a "state of the art" piece of equipment and that once you straighten out a couple of things that you are going to love it.

So, yes, you can use the viewfinder info to help you focus in manual mode. Personally, I do not like the <////0\\\\> screen for these purposes and would recommend that you just use Autofocus for now. To use this feature, you have to press the menu button, then go to the "SETUP" menu which is the one with the wrench. Go to "Rangefinder" and make sure that it is "on."

Next, setup your Auto ISO settings. Press the menu button and go to the "SHOOTING MENU." Find "ISO sensitivity settings" and press the "ok" button. Turn Auto ISO sensitivity "on." Set "Max sensitivity" to 3200 and "Min shutter spd" to 1/100. Go up and set ISO sensitivity to "100." and press "ok."

Also in the shooting menu go to Metering and turn Matrix "on." You can change back to "Spot" as needed, but this setting will give you the most predictable exposures for now.

Again, make sure that the switch on your lens is set to "A" unless you really want to use manual.

You should be "good to go" for now. Just remember what some of the others have said, "you should try to keep your shutter speed as high as possible at the longer focal lengths like 180mm." Take some nice pictures and don't worry about "noise" or "depth of field" for now. You can get technical later after you've read your book.

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 11:06 PM
#22. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 20

US

This is very helpful. I'll have to try this out then.

So if I want to zoom out then I should have a shorter shutter speed, or does it really matter in that case? But you are saying that the closer that I zoom, the shutter speed should be faster?

Thank you for helping me, this is going to be much more helpful when I go to take pictures with faster shutter speeds. I wasn't aware that it needed to be at around 1/500. My book told me around 1/50, maybe I interpreted wrong?

I went to the store and actually read a few pages of "Understanding Exposure" and from those few pages that I read, it was very helpful, hopefully tomorrow I can buy it.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 01-Apr-11 05:30 PM
#23. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 22

US

All exposure settings are trade-offs. Generally, you want a fast shutter speed so that you don't get camera shake and so that you can "stop the action." That's why I had you set your minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO to 1/100, but even that is not fast enough for some situations, but it at least gives you a fighting chance. The other trade off is the aperture setting. As George was attempting to explain, a larger number like f8 gives you more depth of field that f4 which means that more of the foreground and background will be in focus at f8 than at f4. But, because you are letting in less light at f8 than f4, you may have to slow your shutter speed or increase your ISO to compensate for less light.

There are many factors to consider which is why you are going to read that book and learn everything there is to know. It's really very easy once you understand the basic concepts, and the illustrations and explanations will make perfect sense.

Regards,

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Fri 01-Apr-11 05:57 PM
#24. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 23

US

There are so many different things that you have to do to get the perfect picture, but I will admit, I have progressed since the first day I picked it up, I have to read the manual to really even understand how to take a picture, lol.
It's so hard to figure out all of the things to trade off when switching setting, but the meter reading thing on the LCD usually helps you with that for the most part, right?

I do need to read that book, hopefully that will clear up a few fuzzies that I have. Hoping to get it today. Maybe by the time I read it, I'll be even better and it will be easier to understand some things.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 01-Apr-11 10:34 PM
#25. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 24
Fri 01-Apr-11 10:37 PM by jpFoto

US

>the meter reading thing on the LCD usually helps you with that for the most part, right?

Wrong. I seldom use that display. I almost always use Aperture Priority Mode which means that when I pick the aperture, that the camera then picks my shutter speed and if it can't do it at ISO 100, that it raises my ISO (and eventually will lower my shutter speed). The only time that I use that display is when I press the +- button to either over expose or under expose my shot because I know more about the lighting conditions than my light meter.

Again, it really isn't that complicated, so just read the book and you will know what I am talking about. It's a lot of fun. In the meantime, and assuming that you have setup your Auto ISO as I had suggested, you are going to get some pictures that will knock your socks off. Switch it to P (program) for a while as someone else had suggested. Get some nice images so that you can see what your camera can do.

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 12:05 AM
#26. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Alright, awesome. I am going to the zoo tomorrow so I can get some great shots then! I'll be sure to let you and everyone know when I've uploaded them so you can maybe see if I did things correctly and such.

Thank you for you help!

-Andrea.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Sun 03-Apr-11 05:03 AM
#27. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

So, I programed my camera like you told me to, I even set my shutter speed to 1/4000, and I still, somehow, have blurry images. I don't really understand, is there anything else that it could be?

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 03-Apr-11 11:45 AM
#28. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun 03-Apr-11 12:12 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi Andrea

Sorry to hear that you didn't get good results. Why don't you post a couple of your images.

You have definitely gone from one extreme to the other. Although 1/4000 definitely eliminated the possibility of camera shake or subject movement, you also eliminated any f stop that could have given you some depth of field and most of your shots probably required the highest ISO that you allowed which should have been 3200. You also must have been shooting in either Manual Mode (M) or Shutter Speed Priority Mode (S). Did you try any in Program Mode (P)? If so, take a look at the shutter speed and f stop that your camera's computer selected for you.

So, I think that the answer to your question is that you have to either read a book or get a video on exposure. Perhaps there is something on U-tube that you could watch. In the meantime, and until you have confidence in your ability to select a shutter speed or f-stop, you may want to use P. There is nothing wrong with P. Alot of us use it when things are happening too fast to think about our settings or we just want to relax and let the camera do the work. Think of it as having an expert photographer at the controls. There are also some creative ways to use "P" so that you remain in control. Here is a link to an informative article by the author of a number of books about Nikon cameras:

http://deadsailorproductions.blogspot.com/2010/11/nikon-programmed-auto-or-p-mode-why.html

In any event, don't give up. Post a photo or two just so that we can see what you have done and possibly head you in the right direction until you start your education.

jP

toko Registered since 04th May 2009Sun 03-Apr-11 02:42 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 28
Sun 03-Apr-11 02:43 PM by toko

Mölnlycke, SE

As a beginner you should study what’s controlling the exposure (the image registered on sensor or film). Exposure is determined by shutter speed, aperture and iso, so you should think about that happens when these settings are adjusted. And it’s also good to know what the term “stop” means in photography (1 stop more = 1 increment in exposure value; the sensor gets double amount of light (through lengthening shutter speed or rising iso or opening aperture)).

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Sun 03-Apr-11 03:24 PM
#30. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 28

US

I shot most, if not all in Shutter Priority Mode so that I could just try to see if that would help moving them shutter up to 1/4000, I didn't shoot any in Program cause the shutter speed went down to where you said it wouldn't be safe to hand hold it. But maybe if I tried to use it it may have helped with it. I'll try that today to see if anything changes.

I was actually going to get that book a while back, but I just got the exposure one, so I'm going to read it first, them probably get that one.

Oh I won't give up, it's something that I want really bad and I won't stop till I get it perfect, or at least near. (:

I'll post a few pictures, I'm sure that Flickr shows you all of the details of the pictures, but if it doesn't, just let me know and I'll get you the info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5585542900/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5584934527/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5585525190/

Those are just three of the ones I took yesterday, some turned out decent and others turned out like it. It's so frustrating!

-Andrea.

toko Registered since 04th May 2009Sun 03-Apr-11 03:52 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 30
Sun 03-Apr-11 05:42 PM by toko

Mölnlycke, SE

Images does not contain EXIF data....

Edit: Sorry, I use to check the image itself, but now I found the EXIF info…

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 03-Apr-11 05:19 PM
#32. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 31
Sun 03-Apr-11 06:41 PM by jpFoto

US

Toko - If you click on "Actions" over the photo you'll see the exif data choice. You can also click on D3100 to the right of the picture where it says "taken with a D3100."

Andrea, I looked at the photos and the EXIF data, and they are definitely "Blurry." I am acutally glad that you shot them at 1/4000 since you have completely ruled out a slow shutter speed as a possible cause. Here are my thoughts:

1. You may not be using AutoFocus. In addition to setting the switch on the lens to A, you also have to choose "AutoFocus A, S or C" on the rear display. To get there, press the bottom left button on the rear of your camera under the + magnifying glass. Toggle over to "Focus Mode." If it is set to "MF" then we have found your problem. Set it one of the others AF-A, AF-S or AF-C. I recommend AF-S (single) for now, but you can read the user's guide to see what the differences are.

2. While you are looking at the screen, toggle up to WB and turn white balance to "AUTO" unless you had a reason for changing it.

3. Read that link by J Dennis Thomas. When you are in P, you can rotate the command dial to increase or decrease the shutter speed, and it will automatically change the f stop or the ISO or both.

4. There is a green dot in the lower left hand corner of the viewfinder that lights up when your subject is in focus. Check to see if that happens when you think that your subject is in focus.

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped, since I really think that it's the Autofocus issue. Let us know how it goes.

jP

Edit: One more thought. When you compose your shot in the viewfinder, do you push your shutter button half way down to start autofocus; and do you see the red dot? Is the dot on your intended subject before you finish pressing the shutter? If not, you can toggle the dot over you subject, and then repress halfway before you finish depressing the shutter. I honestly don't think that this could cause such serious blur, but let's not leave any stone unturned.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Sun 03-Apr-11 06:47 PM
#33. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 32

US

I've looked at the Auto Focus settings, it was set to AF-A. Don't know if that would affect something or if I need to pick a different one, so I set it to AF-S to see if it has changed anything, so I'm gonna try this out for a bit. I didn't have the white balance on auto, but I had it on day-light, it was bright yesterday when I shot those pictures. I haven't really paid attention to the green dot that you were referring to, but I looked at it, I don't think that the camera will let me take the shot unless it is in focus, unless it's on manual, but I'm not for sure. Sometimes the camera beeps, which I think means that it's in focus, but the green dot is blinking? Do you know what that may mean? I always make sure that the red dot is on the subject, and I push the shutter button half way down so that it will start auto-focusing, and I push it all the way down whenever I I hear the beep. I'm just as stumped as you are, I'm not understanding. Maybe I got a faulty camera?

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 03-Apr-11 07:27 PM
#34. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 33

US

OK - I think that we're getting a little closer. First, AF-A is alright, it just means that your camera chooses between AF-S and AF-C. I don't like it, but it would not cause your problem. You are generally right about your camera not allowing you to take the shot if it isn't in focus, BUT, if you read pages 24 and 56 of the users guide, it tells you that the blinking green dot means that the camera could not auto-focus, but that it may beep and let you snap the shot without being in focus. Everything else that you say that you are doing is right.

So, let's concentrate on seeing a solid green dot before you fully depress the shutter. If you don't get in focus shots outside with a shutter speed of around 1/250, give or take, and an f stop of at least 5.6 at the short end of your zooms and f8 at the long end, then maybe we will have to start pointing fingers at the camera. Try some shots with both lenses to see if the results are similar so that we can rule out one or both lenses or one lens and the camera body. Hopefully, we've solved the problem.

Good luck.

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 02:20 PM
#35. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 34

US

I did some practice shots with my other lens, and it seems to do the same thing. Maybe not as bad, but it still does it the same. It was fine when I first got it though, and I haven't abused it or anything, I've been treating it very carefully. So, is my last resort taking it back to the place where I got it and ask them what I should do and if they'll replace it? I really don't want them to send it back to Nikon, that will take forever.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 04-Apr-11 05:02 PM
#36. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 35

US

Andrea

If you bought it locally, you sould definitely take it all back. Hopefully, you have had it less than 30 days or whatever period your seller allows for returns or exchanges. There may not be anything wrong with it, but you won't know for sure until you try a different one. Some places allow longer for exchanges than returns. The same advice applies even if you bought it from on line retailer. Get an RMA and send it all back.

Keep us posted.

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Mon 04-Apr-11 05:14 PM
#37. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 36

US

I've actually had it for 2 months yesterday, so idk, maybe they can figure something out? I'll just have to go talk to them. I have the Nikon warranty, but idk if that will work with them just exchanging it or if I have to send it off. I was looking up http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/2009/11/camera-shake-get-rid-of-it-in-5-steps.html the correct shutter speeds with the different focal lengths, but I still don't think that 1/4000 with a 200mm focal length should be blurry, unless it really will be? I'm still trying to figure everything out to make sure that it's not the camera, it's me, but idk yet. I'm really hoping it's just me! I don't want to send it back, I'll be lost without it.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 02:30 AM
#38. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 37

US

Andrea

If you have to send it to Nikon, it's not the end of the world. There is no point in owning a camera that has a defect. It's much better to be "lost" without a camera that doesn't work right than to own it.

Try to talk your local retailer into exchanging it.

jP

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 08:05 PM
#39. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 38

US

ndrea

On last thought if you haven't exchanged it or sent it back yet.

Try resetting your camera to "the factory" settings. You do this by going into both the Setup Menu and Shooting Menu and making the appropriate selections. "Reset shooting options" and "Reset setup options."

jP

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 08:33 PM
#40. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 39

US

I did do the reset options, but that was a few days ago. I don't really know if that helped or not, but I'm really hoping so.

I've taken a few pictures and I'd like to see if you think that they are "normal" quality, and I'm thinking that they are.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5592774421/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5592773653/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5592772995/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreasaurusrex/5593363192/

I did no retouching on any external programs other than changing them from RAW to JPEG through Lightroom. They look pretty clear to me, other than a few fuzzies from the ISO I'm sure. And as you can prolly tell from the data, I used the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm thinking that maybe something is wrong with my 55-200mm lens? I did get it from my birthday and my boyfriend bought it off EBay and the seller was from Cameta Cameras, and they said it was a refurbished lens by Nikon. Would being refurbished have an affect? If it really matters that much, I used a UV filter from Polaroid on ^ those up there, and the others that I've asked you to look at are with a Polarizer from Polaroid as well. But I don't really think that filters would cause that much damage to the pictures that I've showed you before.

I also took a few more, below these, if you look through my Flickr, not very many, but I'd like to know what you think of those as well, I did, do a few touch-ups on those.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 10:06 PM
#41. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 40

US

>I used a UV filter from Polaroid on ^ those up there, and the others that I've asked you to look at are with a Polarizer from Polaroid as well. But I don't really think that filters would cause that much damage to the pictures that I've showed you before.

REALLY!?

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 10:36 PM
#42. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 41

US

Yeah? Would it cause that much of a problem? I know they are low end and stuff, but I wanted to try some out. I don't really have that much money to spend on a small piece of glass. (:

-Andrea.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Tue 05-Apr-11 10:36 PM
#43. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 41

US

Though the ones that I've showed you before didn't include a polarizer, like the one of the peacock and stuff.

-Andrea.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 05-Apr-11 10:54 PM
#44. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 43
Tue 05-Apr-11 11:18 PM by jpFoto

US

OK, I've recovered, it really wasn't cardiac arrest.

Start again without those filters. Unscrew them and take some shots.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 06-Apr-11 01:39 AM
#45. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 44

US

I haven't used them long, so I really don't think that they are what's causing my problem, but idk.

I'll put some more shots up tomorrow whenever it's daylight :3

What brand of filters do you recommend? I've heard good things about B&W.

-Andrea.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 06-Apr-11 02:53 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 45
Wed 06-Apr-11 03:06 AM by J_Harris

US

My opinion.

I have owned the D3100 since they were first available. To me your first batch of photos look extremely blurry. Although, the composition is very nice and are of interesting subjects.

The last batch look normal to me. I have shot some that are sharper (I use the 16-85 lens), but I think they look about average for a D3100 using the kit lens, the selected ISO, and a average UV filter. You may be correct in assuming your problem is a bad lens (the 55-200) and not your shooting technique or camera . If you can borrow a tripod, please take a few pictures using it and post them too.

Yes, the B+W UV Pro filters are very nice, that is what I use - but they are expensive for a small piece of glass

Oh, in case anyone is interested, the Nikon D5100 was introduced today!

Good luck tommorrow.

Andrea Lynne Registered since 30th Mar 2011Wed 06-Apr-11 03:42 AM
#47. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 46

US

Which first batch are you referring to? The ones I've linked?

I can get a B&W filter for about $15 used, is it worth trying out?

I am upset that it was released today! I want it now, lol. But I don't really see too much of a difference other than a few added options and more mega-pixels. Or maybe I don't really know what I'm looking at, lol. But for $300 more, I don't really think that it is worth it to upgrade just for a few added options.

I am actually getting a tripod this weekend from my dad, given that it works with my SLR, which I'm hoping that it does, or else I'm going to have to find me one.

I think Lava Lamps are very interesting subjects because they are never the same twice, if that was what you were referring to.

Do you by any chance know what the red VR on the lens and the gold VR on other lens stands for, color wise? I know that it stands for Vibration Reduction.

Thank you for replying!

-Andrea.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 06-Apr-11 04:30 AM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 47
Wed 06-Apr-11 04:33 AM by J_Harris

US

The first batch = three pictures you linked to on flicker taken April 3rd:

- DSC0104
- DSC0006
- DSC0039-2

The pictures taken on April 5th are the pictures I was referring to as looking normal.

All of your pictures are interesting, not just the Lava lamp.

The red color VR was used on older manufactured lenses - the gold VR is the latest color. Red doesn't necessarily mean VR version I because the first version of the Nikon 18-200 had a red VR, but used VRII.

A new B+W 52mm UV 010 F-Pro is currently selling for 36.50.

I agree that if you have already bought the D3100 it is worth keeping as it is very nice, and capable of taking very good pictures. The two big advantages the D5100 has is it uses the same sensor as the D7000 (very good) and a higher resolution LCD screen. If I was going to upgrade from the D3100 I would buy the D7000 and skip the D5100.

It will be interesting to see what subjects you shoot tomorrow

JackMcGowan Registered since 18th May 2011Mon 23-May-11 01:57 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've had trouble with the AF on the 3100 to where AF hits points not relative to my setting and have missed some shots because of this delay and miscalculations of the DX sensor in focusing. Focal point acknowledgement can be unpredictable.
JackMcGowan - Central Florida

fly on the wall Registered since 28th May 2011Sat 04-Jun-11 02:08 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 49

US

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the diopter adjustment!

Andrea, play with the tiny dial next to the viewfinder on the right side. This dial accounts for differences in a user's visual acuity.

If you are framing your image to be in focus by what you see in the viewfinder and you have slightly ....umm, out of focus eyesight (?) then what is happening is you are using the lens to correct your vision.

The diopter should be used to correct your vision, not the lens.

Also, a distinction might need to be made between auto-focus settings (in the menu) and auto-focus mode (the switch on the lens itself, above the VR switch)... just be clear.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 04-Jun-11 03:46 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 50

Paignton, GB

>If you are framing your image to be in focus by what you see
>in the viewfinder and you have slightly ....umm, out of focus
>eyesight (?) then what is happening is you are using the lens
>to correct your vision.

I'm afraid that is not possible.

If the camera's eyepiece dioptre isn't correctly adjusted for the photographer's eyesight, it has the effect of making the image in the viewfinder vary between slightly unsharp and VERY unsharp, but the least unsharp view will still be achieved when the lens is correctly focused.

>The diopter should be used to correct your vision, not the
>lens.

Correct

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

fly on the wall Registered since 28th May 2011Sun 05-Jun-11 12:51 AM
#52. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 51

US

Thanks for clarifying, Brian.

As a competitive rifle shooter I was taught to adjust the diopter of scopes for a sharp retical while looking at a plain background (a white wall or the sky). It is my understanding that the camera's diopter is adjusted in the same manner.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 05-Jun-11 08:04 AM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: D3100 - Blurry Images?"
In response to Reply # 52

Paignton, GB

Yes, that's a good way to adjust the camera eyepiece dioptre. It's a good idea to do this with the lens removed.

Just bear in mind that (unlike with a rifle scope) what you are doing is adjusting the dioptre so that the image projected onto the camera's focusing screen appears as sharp as possible to your eye.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3418 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.