Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #341
View in linear mode

Subject: "Two returns of D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Thu 09-Jul-09 05:41 AM
2358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Two returns of D5000"

US

1)Electronics died(yes I tried reset etc.) 2)Found a dead pixel almost dead center. 3)This THIRD copy has a dead pixel center-bottom!!!!! Just got it today from Costco.He sure was sure they DON'T get seconds from Nikon.I bet Nikon's quality control ...sends top speck cameras to camera stores ...because of picky people like me...I will check with Photo Den ...and soon bring this third copy back to Costco and spend $400.00 more at Photo Den...for D5000+VR 18-55/55-200 (w/NO extra card).THREE duds from Costco.BET THEY ARE GETTING NIKON'S NOT TOP QUALITY CONTROL ...so much for China(think that's where they are assembled). What think ye ? ! So much for saving/a good deal(D5000 2VR lenses,two Nikon videos,1 Nikon book,4gig card, Nikon bag for all $999.99 Good price ...if ya have LOW STANDARDS !!!!!!!!!!!! . Larry My BEST MODES FOR THIS CAMERA ARE ; C-1 = NL+3sharpness-1saturation , C-2 = NL+3sharpness ,C-3 = NL+3sharpness+1saturation. You try and SEE these are quite good(maybe BEST)for this camera.(if your saying to yourself ... just not as sharp or punchy as it should be...or muddy,or too saturated-too strong.)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Two returns of D5000
thosmm
09th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
12th Jul 2009
blw Moderator
15th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
25th Jul 2009
thosmm
25th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
25th Jul 2009
thosmm
25th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
25th Jul 2009
DigitalDarrell Team Member
13th Jul 2009
Larry E30 Silver Member
15th Jul 2009

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Thu 09-Jul-09 06:51 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

Larry,

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your D5000's.

I would think that Costco gets copies as good as anyone due to their return policy. When you bring it back to Costco, Nikon eats it; so it's not in their best interest to send them junk.

I've only had one problem with my camera so far, and it's that a used lens I bought (28-135mm AF-S DX ED) will occasionally not report to the camera and the camera will say it has no lens.

I sold my 18-55 kit lens, or I'd see if it had the same problem. I did buy a Nikon extended warranty for my camera 'just in case'.

If you're going to spend that extra money on replacing the D5000, are you thinking about a D90 instead?

Regards,

-TM-

Visit My webpage and gallery..

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 05:06 AM
2358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi all , and -TM-.I think that (IF) I were to change models in Nikon , from D5000 to something else...it would be the D300.,if not Nikon it would be Canon 5D.BUT I'M TOO SET ON HAVING THE SWIVEL SCREEN...for shots where my eye can't get.And I love the smallness and lightness of THIS outfit.,so far I love my three lenses;18-55VR,55-200VR,and Tokina 10-17. ---- , Just got back from a three day coast trip , 288 photos , did so-so to OK.Want to share some.----,OK,so I'm ALMOST very happy with the color(and saturation level as I now have it set).Almost too strong of color...just slightly more than I like best.I'm also going to try more sharpness - onto the setting I'm using now(because , when I zoom in to near the max ... looks to get a little softer/fusszer than I think it should...it should just go to pixels - but still give the sence of sharpness(I'm getting closer...)My setting is ; custom;NL+3sharpness.I also have an under and over version of this,to be my standard set-up ; ...same(custom as above)- but minus 1 saturation,and plus 1 saturation.(less color/saturation - more color/saturation).----,Can anyone tell me ... is it acceptable to keep a brand new body that has a dead pixel? I would think that there quality control would NOT let this through(I just retuened the second copy the day before going to the coast-it had a dead pixel almost dead center,)...or IS THIS WITHIN THEIR QUALITY TOLORANCE??????????? The 3rd copy I have now has one dead pixel that I am aware of - almost bottom of frame ...slightly left. ,Larry ----, pics ;

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 12-Jul-09 05:11 AM
#3. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Oh -TM- , look close ...do you (or anyone else) have any dead pixels?, thanks , Larry

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 15-Jul-09 03:59 PM
26733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

At least one of my cameras has a stuck pixel, I don't remember which one. Although it is annoying, it's one of those things that happens over time, and as long as it's just one or two, I simply don't have time to be worked up about it. Sure it'd be nice to be perfect (my newest camera has no stuck pixels, at least I think that's true), but frankly dust gets on the sensor no matter what we do, so I end up having to bust out the spot healing brush on most images anyway. What's two more clicks?

> IS THIS WITHIN THEIR QUALITY TOLORANCE?

Probably it's close. Remember that these things pop up after manufacture, too. Even if you've got a clear sensor at the moment, you will probably have another stuck pixel in a year or two. It just happens.

> I'm ALMOST very happy with the color(and saturation level as I now have it set).Almost too strong of color...just slightly more than I like best.

Digital SLRs - certainly Nikons - are designed to yield extremely neutral colors, at least by default. This is mostly because the designers don't know what your subjects will be. Back in film days they didn't have to worry about it, because one chose films according to subjects and taste. Nobody shot weddings on Fuji Velvia, and similarly there were probably few landscape photographers who shot on Kodak Portra - the landscape folks tend to go for the saturated colors that Velvia delivers, but Velvia's skin tones leave a lot to be desired, shall we say. Now you can't change sensors, so the default treatment of the colors is neutral. This is especially true if you shoot in JPEG, since the color, sharpness etc is baked in and can't really be changed easily later.

I shoot a lot of different types of subjects, some of which I like to have "ultra-color" and some don't. So I capture generally neutral and then, since I'm a holdover from the Film Age, I use software to apply a suitable film look. I'd have probably filtered #3 and #4 with Provia, #6 (the red flowers) with Velvia (a lot of saturation), left #1, #2 and #5 neutral. The last one I might have used Plus-X (B&W). The bird would probably look a bit odd with extreme saturation.

> sharpness

Same thing for sharpness. If you turn up the sharpness too far, some subjects will look pretty bad - you'll have lots of sharpening halos. On the other hand, if you don't turn it up far enough, as you've seen, you get a soft kind of image. Unfortunately the state of the art is such that blanket settings don't seem to work so well if you're shooting a wide range of subjects.

---

That last picture is a pretty haunting one, by the way.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 25-Jul-09 02:30 AM
#7. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi , Larry here. , think I kinda missed your reply...thanks.You seem right on with that sharpness thing!I don't have my camera right now, I'm in the RECALL bunch,but I been using lots of custom settings ...trying to come up with something solid.Basicly I'm useing 6 different custom modes ; NL+5sharpness,NL+5sharpness+1saturation,SD+3sharpness,VI+2sharpness-1saturation,NL+4sharpness+1contrast,NL+4sharpness+1contrast+1saturation.Wow!,hope I don't make your head spin!!.I did notice , in the yard, that nomatter WHAT I had the camera set on - the flowers I was shooting , mainly the deeper blues and reds, ... if ya wanted to record them -as you see em- ...NO WAY. Over all , I'm happy with my (4th copy)D5000.Coming from Canon P+S S5 IS - for swivel screen shooting - I'm VERY disappointed,BUT the non-noise mirrical that this Nikon is ...makes this camera worth it - by far.Now I use the swivel for only where my eye can't get.(On the canon I used swivel for ALL, AND SAW AND ADJUSTED THE EXPOSURE - AND GOT THAT EXPOSURE AFTER PRESSING THE SHUTTER...-...NOT SO WITH NIKON-CANNOT BE RELIED ON...sometimes yes , sometimes no.)And 2/3rds of the time...my guess at exposure is wrong!,having to shoot again - with more or less exposure.Try telling the bird or speeding boat - WAIT , I need to shoot again!! ... oh,now - not only do I reshoot for better exposure , ALSO I change modes...as above...- for more or less saturation ,and or more or less contrast.Note; That first custom setting I REALLY like,the second too-sometimes the last two are best. ..........--------this photo/ISO makes this camera!; (ISO6400,and remember-I sent back an Olympus E-30...which had worse noise at 400 ISO);

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Sat 25-Jul-09 05:31 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 7

Spring Hill, US

Larry,

A question. Are you shooting to JPG? If not, what kind of post processing software are you using?

I don't use JPG at all. Everything is done in Lightroom 2 & Photoshop CS4. I have a Nikon microfiber cloth that is 18% gray that I use to set white balance, then I can do anything I could have done on the camera in post.

The RAW images are uniformly dull and drab. White balance improves things, exposure adjustment helps, and I have a basket full of tools that I use for color tuning.

I realize that this isn't as convenient as a P&S, but I find that I get much better image quality with the RAW dSLR image and post processing lets me adjust the image from what the sensor recorded to something close to what I saw.

Your mention of the in-camera adjustments seems to indicate that you're using the camera like a P&S, and judging the images by what is recorded by the camera on the SDHC card.

Just a thought,

-TM-

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 25-Jul-09 07:51 PM
#9. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi -TM-.I'm useing Jpeg,no RAW for me.I need to keep things as simple as possable.I'm sure raw is more control (and work) - but I feel I'm getting close to shooting fast with quite good results,as I get to know my modes and exposures.Now I use the viewfinder for most shooting,swivel/live view for only where and when my eye can't reach.So far those 6 custom modes are my modes(+ portrate for people),and if whatever I shoot is too bright or too dark(after I shoot it ...on the review)then I plus or minus exposure accordingly - then reshoot.I'm getting better and faster,but for me - SLR's are for photographs I'm willing to work a little more with(when I'm shooting and after in my programs)...in many ways to get the better,higher quality image.My #1 main program is Photo Impact Pro vers. 10 , I also have two supplimentry programs I use; Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 , and Photoshop Elements 7.Also my monitor is not calibrated.But, I do digital slideshows , all looks OK,I'm happy with all so far - as set.For D5000 , if I use my blandest setting ... NL+5sharpness ... then once in my programs I can adjust.,but the plan is to get the BEST image to start with. ...---- some recent photos,my camera is out right now, I'm in the recall group. Larry ;

thosmm Registered since 12th May 2009Sat 25-Jul-09 09:50 PM
#10. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 9

Spring Hill, US

Okay. I was just checking.

The D5000 seems to be falling in between 'normal' dSLRs and P&S's with the people who use them. I'm tending toward the dSLR side and do more post processing.

Regards,

-TM-

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sat 25-Jul-09 11:21 PM
#11. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Looking at my own shots on Nikoinian ... they seem bright and flat.That boat/dock/rope photo is right out of camera,downsized,but I don't remember which of my modes I used...Nikon just say custom "C" not - C-1,C-2,C-3 etc. I bet it was NL+5sharpness+1saturation (my C-3).I just want to photograph as close to as my eye sees it as possable. ...then IF it needs it ...work it from there.I just love my small ,light lenses (and body)set-up , PLUS the quality ...I will work with it - AND do the best I possibly can with it.I think to have a camera that records perfectly...!,but ya know each person may be tring to record perfect...in there own perception-not the same.I know I can do better...I'll zone into what I want... .I know to shoot at as low of an ISO setting as possible(for best quality),but I can shoot at 1600 and get real good slideshow images(most of what I do).(And now, fast shutter-speed IS very important to me for SHARPNESS)-So I'm already getting very spoiled with the joyious(gift from God-so to speak) ISO of this camera.......----------photos - last 2 I darkened , much ;

Attachment #4, (jpg file)

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Charter MemberMon 13-Jul-09 02:00 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

My Nikon D300 has two dead pixels. It aggravated me to no end when I first got the camera. However, I did not have time to return it, so I continue using it 16 months later. I know where the two pixels are, and on important pictures I clone them out. They are very small, so much of the time it makes no difference.

It is rather common to have stuck red pixels in DSLR cameras. Nikon will map them out for you, but you'll have to wait for the camera to go through their repair department. If it bothers you too much, just keep returning them until you get a camera with no stuck pixels.

Only problem is, with digital, they can and will pop up suddenly as one or two of the millions of pixels die, or get stuck. This problem will not go away until cameras are smart enough to map out their own stuck pixels, or Nikon gives us some software to do it ourselves.

Digital Darrell

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Wed 15-Jul-09 04:12 AM
#5. "RE: Two returns of D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Got rid of my dead pixel.Nikon rep. told me , (and the people that know me), to return it to Costco.So now I returned #3,I'm on my 4th copy...did a VERY strong test(luckily I had a perfect blue sky)...and all looks good - actually first test showed dirt on the sensor - but I followed how to lock the mirror up and use a hurricane blower ... it worked.I want to do good with this camera (swivel screen a MUST for me)...Only other concerns with this camera was the heavy saturation,muddyness,and ,once going to NL, poor sharpness.So , my latest settings - for these concerns - Best is custom = NL+5 sharpness ... then in photo program add a tiny bit contrast IF needed.On the custom modes ... one click contrast is a little too much for me. ...but having that setting available too is good for flat lighting ... and use my (BEST) setting for average or strong contrast lighting... these photos are w/my old (best) setting of custom = NL +3sharpness Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #341 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.