Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3402
View in linear mode

Subject: "View finder dust" Previous topic | Next topic
Todd Secki Registered since 03rd Feb 2011Sun 27-Mar-11 02:08 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View finder dust"

US

Other then sending the camera out, Does anyone know how to clean dust on the inside of the view finder?? Nikon D3000

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View finder dust
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Mar 2011
Todd Secki
27th Mar 2011
aolander Silver Member
27th Mar 2011
Todd Secki
28th Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
28th Mar 2011
aolander Silver Member
28th Mar 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 27-Mar-11 03:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Are you sure it is inside the viewfinder and not on the mirror, focusing screen, or viewfinder lens?

Use a rocket blower to remove any dust on the mirror or focusing screen being careful not to touch the mirror.

Use a lens cleaning cloth or lens pen to clean the viewfinder eyepiece.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Todd Secki Registered since 03rd Feb 2011Sun 27-Mar-11 09:27 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply. I have blown off the mirror and focusing screen and cleaned the eye piece. No dust shows up in the photos. I am pretty sure it's on the inside of viewfinder. And after cleanning everything nothing changed.?

Attachment #1, (Ihavecleaned file)

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 27-Mar-11 11:21 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

If the dust is in sharp focus, then it is likely on the focusing screen. However, blowing off the bottom of the screen won't remove any dust that's on top of the screen. Screen removal would be required. Not sure if that can easily be done on the D3000 or not.

Alan

Todd Secki Registered since 03rd Feb 2011Mon 28-Mar-11 02:05 PM
#4. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks. The dust is in focus. Now the question is how to remove the view finder.. Focusing screen??

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 28-Mar-11 04:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 28-Mar-11 08:34 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Do you really want to attempt this?

There is a retaining spring that could be removed, and under the focusing screen is a shim. Once you get the screen and shim out, you could try blowing out the dust or blow it from the focusing screen. Now you have to reinsert the shim and focusing screen and reset the retaining clip. You will also need to make sure you orientate the focusing screen correctly. There are 4 different ways to insert the screen and only one will be correct.

You could scratch the focusing screen, or add additional contamination unless you have the correct tools and an know how to use them in such a manner that you do not damage the parts. The shims for focusing screens are very thin and fragile.

You might consider a camera repair service or just live with it.

You would be surprised at how much dust can get inside a lens and not affect the results. Unless the dust is affecting focus or exposure, I would ignore it.

Edited to add:

Unlike many of the Nikon SLR cameras, the focusing screens in dSLRs are not designed to be easily changed. They are not in carrine frames like the SLR screens are. They are also fragile and easily scratched,

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 28-Mar-11 07:36 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: View finder dust"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The viewfinder does not need to be removed to access the focusing screen. It's accessed through the mirror box as George described. Not for the faint of heart, though!

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3402 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.