Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3387
View in linear mode

Subject: "RGB versus sRGB" Previous topic | Next topic
Kensogtp1 Registered since 14th Mar 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 03:01 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RGB versus sRGB"

US

Hello,

Can anybody please provide me with the differences in these 2. I have the D5000 and was thinking of setting the color to RGB - if this does indeed provide more color in each photo, wouldn't this be the best setting to leave it on?

Also, when uploading photos and printing them - I assume all places can print RGB. Am I correct in my assumption?

In reading Mastering the Nikon D5000 (by Darrell Young) he says to leave it on sRGB.. Maybe I am missing something.. Any help/schooling would be appreciated

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Shipmate Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 21-Mar-11 07:36 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RGB versus sRGB"
In response to Reply # 0

SHERBORN, US

I may be wrong, but sRGB, as you note, has less color data than Adobe RGB. So if you are shooting JPEG and/or planning on looking at your images on a monitor or sending them via emails to others to view on a monitor, then sRGB is all you need. If you are shooting RAW and printing in larger formats, Adobe RGB will give you a lot more data to work with. But, like I suggested above, I may well be wrong on this. The one thing I do believe I understand to be correct is the amount of data that the image captures depends, in part, on the color gamut that is being used.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 21-Mar-11 07:42 PM
3190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RGB versus sRGB"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Mar-11 07:43 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Most printers will want you to send them sRGB files as that is the color space they use. If you send them Adobe RGB files, your prints will not look very good. Adobe RBG has a wider gamut, but prints (or images viewed on a monitor) can't use those colors anyway. So, if you shoot JPEGs and have your images printed, leave your camera in sRGB. If you shoot RAW, the color space you select doesn't matter as RAW images have no color space; you can choose whatever space you want later in post-processing. If you print yourself on a higher end printer (or use custom print labs), you may benefit from wider color spaces. e.g. Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB.

Check this out:

http://thelightroomlab.com/2010/11/understanding-digital-camera-color-space-choices/

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3387 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.