nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3319
View in linear mode

Subject: "I Get an Error [r 15]" Previous topic | Next topic
prisma01 Registered since 24th Feb 2011Thu 24-Feb-11 01:15 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I Get an Error [r 15]"

Mz-Kastel, DE

Any time, I try to start a macro on a distance of around 1 ft, I see on my display at the place, where the residual number of fotos is shown, a mark saying and the cam does not trigger, only if beyond 1/2 meter

What does this mean?

Thank You in advance for your help

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I Get an Error [r 15]
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Feb 2011
aolander Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
25th Feb 2011
prisma01
25th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
25th Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
25th Feb 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Feb 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 24-Feb-11 06:07 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 24-Feb-11 06:10 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

It means you need to be at least 1/2 meter from the subject.

What shooting mode are you using?

What lens are you using?

The Nikor Micro lenses have a special limit switch for closeup shooting.

Have you tried the manual focus mode?

Remember when you are macro focusing, the focus distance ring sets the magnification and the distance of the sensor plain to the subject sets the focus. So you may also need to move the camera to achieve a focused image. Some shooters use a focusing rail on their tripod.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 24-Feb-11 07:26 PM
3366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 24-Feb-11 10:18 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Your lens may not focus that close, so the camera will not release the shutter. What lens are you using? "r15" is not an error. It always displays when you half press the shutter release. It's showing you the number of images remaining in the buffer.

Edit:

If you're using your Sigma 18-200mm lens that you have listed in your profile, that lens' minimum focus distance is 45cm.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 25-Feb-11 03:22 AM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stephan,

Welcome to Nikonians!
(r15) is not an error.
It sounds like you are trying to fucus on a subject that is closer than the minimum focus distance of your lens.
Use Manual Focus mode and set the lens at the minimum focus distance. Then try focusing on your subject. Move back until your subject is in focus.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

prisma01 Registered since 24th Feb 2011Fri 25-Feb-11 07:10 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 3

Mz-Kastel, DE

Thanks to George, Marty and Alan!

You are right, I may have been to close to my target using my Sigma 18-200. Nevertheless this message r 15 appears again and again and the shutter does not release, even if I'm more than 45 cm away, but the tele is fully moved out on 200. Also in auto mode using the fully extended tele the AF does not work correctly, so that I have to activate the MF. May this be something faulty or still an "error of mine"?

Thank You all
Stephan

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 25-Feb-11 09:25 AM
27013 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Stephan,

(r15) is the number of shots remaining before the buffer is full, not an error code. In AF-S (Single Servo AF mode, the shutter will not release unless focus lock is achieved. If the focus confirmation indicator (green dot on the left side of the viewfinder display) shows arrows instead of a dot the AF system has not locked focus and the shutter release will be disabled. This is most likely the problem that you are having. It is more common at close distances or when the AF target has little contrast.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 25-Feb-11 09:44 AM
29351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, UK

The "r15" message (which as others have said is not an error code) always appears when you press the shutter release. In normal situations, it's only displayed for an instant so you won't notice it. But when the camera cannot focus - for whatever reason - the display catches your eye.

The camera may not be focusing because you are too close, because your subject has insufficient contrast (like a plain wall), or for one of several other reasons. I'll bet there is nothing wrong with the lens or camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 25-Feb-11 03:41 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I Get an Error [r 15]"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 25-Feb-11 03:43 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Set the cameras for Manual focusing, either on the lens or through the Focus Mode menu option, see pages 55-56 & 62 of your user manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3319 Previous topic | Next topic