Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #327
View in linear mode

Subject: "Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
umern Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2007Thu 02-Jul-09 02:19 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000"

Ilford, Essex, GB

I know the D5000 does not have Remote Commander mode but I am confused by the following statement on the Nikon website D5000 specifications page:

Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with built-in flash, SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander.

What does it exactly mean by 'Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with built-in flash'

If I have an SB-800 can I position it off camera and fire it using the built in flash?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 02-Jul-09 04:13 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The Nikon CLS system is how the flash exposure is computed. This may or may not include addition Nikon CLS Speedlights through the wireless master/remote assignment. The built-in flash on the D5000 uses the CLS system for computing the flash exposure from a low power pre-flash to obtain an exposure reading, computes the amount of power needed for a proper exposure, sets the power level for the flash and triggers the flash. This method is used for the built-in or any attached Nikon compatible CLS flash unit, SB-900/800/600/400.

Then there are the cameras and Speedlisghts that support the CLS Wireless system. This extension allows certain cameras and Speedlights to control remotely located Speedlights, by IR light signals, and use the CLS computation system to compute the power needed by each individual remote group and master unit using a series of pre-flashes and then trigger all the groups and master with the shutter release.

The D5000 built-in flash can not wirelessly control any remote unit using the Wireless CLS extensions. To control an CLS Wireless Speedlights, one needs an SB-900/800 or SU-800 mounted on the D5000.

See Fast Track to Wireless Speedlights for more information an the Advance Wireless system.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 04-Jul-09 08:19 AM
1300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
>Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with built-in flash,
>SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander.
>
>What does it exactly mean by 'Advanced Wireless Lighting
>supported with built-in flash'

I think it means somebody got the specs wrong on the webpage.

>If I have an SB-800 can I position it off camera and fire it
>using the built in flash?

Only with the SB-800 in SU-4 mode.

Hope this helps,
Chris

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 06-Jul-09 10:20 AM
26649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> Only with the SB-800 in SU-4 mode.

And while that can work, it is only useful if the onboard flash is in manual mode - NOT any of the TTL (through-the lens metered modes). That's because the way iTTL flash metering works involves a pre-flash, and that pre-flash actually fires the SU-4 remotes. Manual mode doesn't meter, thus doesn't use a pre-flash, thus the remote fires when the real flash occurs.

> What does it exactly mean by 'Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with built-in flash'

I have no idea. The specs page also says "Built-in Commander mode not available."

As far as I know, the built-in flash has nothing to do with any remote flash, other than SU-4 mode. (And SU-4 is purely reactive to light - it simply looks for a sudden, relatively bright change in light. Almost anything will trigger it - I've had one fire accidently when a passing car reflected the sun into the room, and lots of wedding photographers had SU-4s triggered by guests' P&S flashes.)

> If I have an SB-800 can I position it off camera and fire it using the built in flash?

Not really - as above, you have to run the built-in on manual, and the remote has to be on non-TTL auto, or manual. You can, however, put an SB-800/900 or SU-800 in the hot shoe, and then put other iTTL wireless remotes (any SB-600/800/900/200) elsewhere and have them fire with full iTTL control.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

umern Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2007Mon 06-Jul-09 10:24 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Confused about wireless remote flash support of D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Ilford, Essex, GB

Thanks for all the replies - I guess that it must be a typo on the UK website.
Cheers

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #327 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.