Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3216
View in linear mode

Subject: "Polarizer for Nikon D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
ailime Registered since 04th Feb 2011Fri 04-Feb-11 12:32 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Polarizer for Nikon D3100"

Montreal, CA

Hey Guys - I'm a new girl to Nikon world (I'm mostly a Canon person, owning 3 Canon cams but I want to soon purchase a Nikon D3100 in a double lens kit : Nikon D3100 kit with 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm VR http://www.lozeau.com/product.aspx?NavID=24412&CultureCode=en-CA

and I am wondering - do any of you guys have polarizers for these lenses ? If yes - what model do you have ? what range should I look around for ? I would like to get one for both, or if not possible ( I swear I'm a rookie ) one for each because I plan on filming water in the spring time. You know how beautiful it can be when it melts and floods grass or last fall's leaves or anything else.

Any tip - advice - size options, guidance would be most welcomed !

Thanks in advance

Humbly -
The Nikon Rookie -

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100
JosephK Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
d3100user Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
JosephK Silver Member
04th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator
05th Feb 2011
ailime
05th Feb 2011
blw Moderator
05th Feb 2011
ailime
06th Feb 2011
JosephK Silver Member
06th Feb 2011
ailime
07th Feb 2011
ailime
05th Mar 2011
d3100user Silver Member
05th Mar 2011

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 04-Feb-11 04:37 AM
3701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The two lenses use two different filter sizes. Your best bet is to get a filter for the larger lens and a step-up ring for the smaller one to use the same filter.

I will let others recommend a brand but cheap is bad.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Fri 04-Feb-11 12:34 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Not to be argumentative but; I have both those kit lenses and they both take 52mm filters. If you buy a polarizer make sure you purchase a circular polarizer they are specifically designed for use on auto-focus cameras.
Stick with HOYA, Tiffen, Cokin etc.....Try to avoid buying inexpensive filters when possible. Practice a lot and enjoy your new purchase.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 04-Feb-11 08:34 PM
3701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

My bad. You are correct in that they are both at 52mm. Not sure why I thought one was at 58mm...

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Feb-11 03:16 AM
24972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Emilia,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Both the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm Nikkor lenses have 52mm filter threads and require 52mm filters.
I would recommend getting a 52mm Nikon Circular Polarizer II. They are multi-coated unlike the cheaper filters and a good value. The multi coatings will help to keep flare and ghosting in check compared to the non-multi-coated filters.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ailime Registered since 04th Feb 2011Sat 05-Feb-11 07:38 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

Montreal, CA

Thank you soo much each one of you guys ! I didn't expect to have this many replies this soon ! You are amazing

I think I'll get that camera and the polarizer in a few weeks hopefully - and I like to buy all my gear at the same time, so I usually spend some time googling around information, samples and do a real search to be certain of getting what I want to get. You know, it's just easier to shop around when one knows what size to look for !

You are the most helpful ppl i came across the net !

I'm soo excited about this whole thing I know that store has a huge variety of lenses and I'm dead sure they have the ones you recommend !

I'm just soo looking forward to use a Nikon, over all - I been in the galleries and hollé tolédo the purity of colors

*huggles you all*

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 05-Feb-11 11:33 PM
26290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

You may also have a 52mm CP from your Canon stuff? No need to get different filters if you already have them, although most of the smaller Canon lenses I know of use 55mm.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ailime Registered since 04th Feb 2011Sun 06-Feb-11 01:25 PM
#7. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 6

Montreal, CA

I have one polarizer for my Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC - which is pretty huge ! 72 mm ( which I think I will sell eventually - I barely used it once since I bought it ... ) and I'll rather get the other kit that I saw at my local store, with the second lens being a 55-300mm, I know myself and I will need that extra push - I love zoomin' in on targets like a hunter on a prey - lol

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 06-Feb-11 08:06 PM
#8. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

Since you already have the filter, just buy some step-up rings for your smaller lenses so that they all can use the same filter. Lots simpler and lots cheaper that way.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

ailime Registered since 04th Feb 2011Mon 07-Feb-11 01:20 AM
#9. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 8

Montreal, CA

Interesting !! I never considered that in between step, I have to admit ! And now I am considering to add the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens @_@ I really have to make a chart and see what I want the most and what it will cost me - lol i'm too passionate about this hobby - lol

ailime Registered since 04th Feb 2011Sat 05-Mar-11 03:36 PM
#10. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 9

Montreal, CA

well, today I officially lost my Nikon virginity ! got the D3100 + the two lenses 18-55 and 55-300, an extra battery and a sigma 150 macro lens ( a huge beast !! ) I am currently recharging the first battery and tomorrow will go to take photos hopefully I'll be able to share some work soon

I would like to take this occasion to thank you guys from the depth of my sensitive little heart ! lol - i know I am being emo - but I really appreciated your help and I'm really happy to be finally entirely part of this big community

d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Sat 05-Mar-11 03:40 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Polarizer for Nikon D3100"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Congrats and enjoy.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3216 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.