Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3206
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
ryanfeasel Registered since 02nd Feb 2011Wed 02-Feb-11 02:14 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 Settings"

US

My wife recently got a D3100 and has no idea how to use it, nor do I. What is the best setting for picture clarity/quality for normal 4x6 and 5x7 pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ragin Registered since 02nd Feb 2011Wed 02-Feb-11 03:10 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

I bought D3100 KIT & am as confused as you. 2 days old.

d3100user Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2011Wed 02-Feb-11 03:49 PM
148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 Settings"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 02-Feb-11 04:19 PM by d3100user

US

If you are looking to jump right in and start shooting use the "P" program mode or AUTO. If you select guide mode the camera will walk you through basic operations.

I bought the book titled D3100 for Dummies. This book does an excellent job explaining each and every function of the D3100. Don't get intimidated it is actually a very friendly camera to use.

rhom Registered since 06th Aug 2008Wed 02-Feb-11 11:46 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 Settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

Mark has given some good advice, using Auto or "P" as initial shooting modes.

I would add that I would set:

Size - largest setting (full 14 megapixels, it's what we paid for), regardless of the size of the anticipated final print.

Quality - "JPEG Fine" which is the least compression. You can shoot NEFs later when you have more experience/knowledge.

Picture Control - Standard or Vivid (more color saturation and contrast), whichever you prefer. I like Standard for people shots because there is less saturation of skin colors, I like Vivid for everything else.

White Balance - Auto

These settings should get you started. Like all of us, you'll learn as you shoot and will have fun tweaking the settings to see how they affect the results. You'll soon be setting up your D3100 for your individual needs.

Best,

Rick

Nikon user for 40 years.
F-Ftn, F3, F4S, F90, F100, D5100, D700

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3206 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.