nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3203
View in linear mode

Subject: "d5000 tethered shooting and live view" Previous topic | Next topic
juniorbeep Registered since 31st Jan 2011Mon 31-Jan-11 12:35 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d5000 tethered shooting and live view"

UK

Hi new to the forum so hello all.

I have a couple of questions I'm struggling to find the answer to so hopefully someone will be able to help!

1. I use a d5000 and the Nikon control pro 2 software. When tethered I want to use the live view mode which appears in a window on my computer. What I'd like is to be able to press the shutter button on the camera to take the picture not have to use the mouse and click in the window. When still tethered and I'm not using live view mode I can press the shutter button no problem as soon as the liveview is activated in the software all controls on the camera are gone. Any ideas?

Live view on the computer screen is great to see where the focus is hitting especially for macro shots but if i'm hand holding i need a third arm to hold camera, focus and click the mouse. That's if I can even reach the mouse. Seems totally mad not to be able to use the camera button.

2. When tethered I can't look at the live view on the camera, only through the computer interface. I would like to be able to do this in certain instances. Is it possible?

I hope someone can help and these questions make sense!
cheers

rob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rocky1946 Registered since 27th Mar 2011Mon 28-Mar-11 03:34 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d5000 tethered shooting and live view"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In the Camera Control Pro Reference Manual (which hasn't been updated for awhile so it does not even mention the D5000), page 76 covers selecting Live View (Hand-held), with particular reference made to the D3 and D300, as an option under the Camera menu. A hyperlink back to page 46 states,

"When a camera that supports live view is connected, Live View (Hand-Held) and Live View (Tripod) options are available in the Camera menu. Selecting either of these options opens the “Live View” window. Camera controls can not be used while the “Live View” window is displayed; the “Live View” window will close automatically if the camera is disconnected."

It does seem odd that if there is a setting for Live View (Hand-Held) that there is not some way to release the shutter short of hitting the mouse with your elbow, or better yet, hiring an assistant to press the mouse or space bar.

Even with the shutter mode on the camera body set to remote, the remote signal is ignored (at least on the D90).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3203 Previous topic | Next topic