Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vixen Movie" Previous topic | Next topic
Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberFri 26-Jun-09 10:34 PM
2174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vixen Movie"
Fri 26-Jun-09 10:55 PM by Noel Holland

TH

Short movie of a Vixen sunning herself in a garden. Taken using a Nikon D5000 fitted with a Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8 and mounted on a Kirk Ground Pod. Movie finalised inside Apple iMovie.

File posted on MobileMe: Warning it's a full HD file and weighs in at 311MB

http://files.me.com/noel.holland/v529rx.mov

Keep an eye out for a very surprised spider.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 27-Jun-09 09:09 PM
34753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vixen Movie"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Excellent Noel.
Good cover you had. She seemed to sense you but either couldn't see you or you were too far away to be considered a threat.
Would you tell us how you setup?

One of the complaints with DSLR movies was the inability to AF while filming. Was this a valid complaint? And if so, is this solved on the D5000?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberSat 27-Jun-09 09:53 PM
2174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vixen Movie"
In response to Reply # 1

TH

No need for cover with this fox, she's pretty used to people wandering so long as you don't go to close. I see her and her mate snuffling around most nights. They have two cubs in tow just now so she was probably seeking some peace and quiet away from the children for a while.

When I go home that evening she was sitting on the grass resting. She's used to me being around so long as I stay down my end of the grass, stay low and quiet.

I went into the house and grabbed the camera and just set up laying on the ground. I focused using the view finder and then swapped to live view. The swivel LCD is very handy for this since I can have it lay parallel to the ground. To the fox I appear to be looking down at the ground behind the camera and not through the camera toward it. It's less threatening and also a lot more comfortable for viewing.

Equipment was a D5000, 70-200mm set to F6.3 for best focus performance, enough DoF to cover the head but still throw the background into OoF. Camera was mounted via a Kirk replacement foot onto a Markins M20 ballhead mounted in turn on a Kirk LowPod.

Reframing as the fox moved would be too jerky if I used the ballhead controls. Hence I just leaned on the back of the LowPod to make the lens go up or down and shifted the back end of the pod to make it turn to the side. Movement was much smoother using that method.

No, autofocus doesn't work in movie mode. If you look when the fox move off to camera right you will note it's slightly out of focus. I spliced out the following frames while it was hiding behind the bush on the right. The final frames were re-focused by hand while continuing to shoot. The highlights on the bush leaves allowed me a guess how much to adjust focus. If you look at the bush right at the back you'll note it moves into focus as I manually pull focus to track the fox as it walks out to camera left. I was surprised how well I could gauge the focus even though I only had a tiny area of the screen to use and the screen would not allow zooming during capture. So while AF doesn't work, MF can still be used and to some effect with a bit of care and practice.

One point to note - don't make my mistake and remember to switch off VR. Good grief that things clatters. You won't hear it in the movie since I removed the sound track and replaced it with an audio track made a few minutes later at the same location using an iPhone as a recorder.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 27-Jun-09 10:57 PM
34753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vixen Movie"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Thank you, Noel
Excellent job.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007Sun 05-Jul-09 10:59 PM
1283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vixen Movie, shorter?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR

Noel, I would like to see your movie but 311MB is way too big for my slow connection. Could you post a shorter version (full HD) so one may see the IQ? Thanks.

Jacques

My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #320 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.