nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's with all the mirror flapping in Live Mode?

clayolmstead

Austin, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
clayolmstead Registered since 21st Jul 2010
Thu 27-Jan-11 01:21 PM

On a D5000 in Live Mode, when I press the shutter, the mirror flips down and back up before the shutter opens, stays up while the shutter is open, then flips down and back up again afterwords. This seems like a lot of unnecessary activity. The mirror is already up; why does it need to come down?

The flip down/up before the picture is really annoying. It makes the shutter lag about 1/2 second, so Live Mode is useless except for stationary subjects. It happens when the shutter release has been half-pressed long enough to get the focus and exposure, or in manual focus, manual exposure - so it doesn't seem like the camera needs to access the metering or phase-detect focus sensors. I have a friend with a D7000 and he says it does the same thing.

Is there a reason for all this? More important, is there any way to stop the pre-picture mirror flip? The one after the picture is mystifying and noisy but doesn't affect the photo, so I'm OK with it.

G