Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3167
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 GPS - Heading Info?" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 23-Jan-11 04:12 PM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"

Santa Fe, US

Will the D3100 record heading information if used with a GPS unit that supplies it?

Thanks.

SantaFeBill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Jan 2011
sfbillm Silver Member
25th Jan 2011
siemwell
23rd Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
natashachen
24th Mar 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 23-Jan-11 06:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Per the D3100 manual it does show that data in the GPS information display on the camera. You should check to see what the requirements are for you GPS to record the direction. Many GPS units require they have a required orientation, usually held parallel to the ground. So if the unit is mounted on the camera, only images in the landscape orientation would have this data.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 25-Jan-11 04:08 PM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Fe, US

Thanks for the info - what I'd hoped.

SantaFeBill

siemwell Registered since 18th Mar 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 02:33 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"
In response to Reply # 1

HK

D3100 can only show the heading when GPS devices supports it. Most of the geotagging gps such Nikon GP-1 can not show heading (direction). Few geotagging device such as Easytagger GPS can support it. http://www.e-geotag.com/product.aspx http://www.easytagger.ca You may visit here to see the detailed introduction.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 23-Mar-11 04:58 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 23-Mar-11 04:59 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Note that most GPS units need to be parallel to the horizon and pointed in the direction of the camera lens.

• GPS on camera strap, on belt, in pack, etc = no direction
  • GPS in hot shoe & Portrait orientation = no direction

George
My Nikonian Galleries

natashachen Registered since 24th Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 05:11 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3100 GPS - Heading Info?"
In response to Reply # 0

CN

All the Nikon Dslr that support GPS function will record heading information except D200.
I'm a Nikon D90 user and have Solmeta geotagger Pro, my experience told me the heading information not only be record when hold camera and GPS horizontal, but aslo works in a certain angle scope. Solmeta claims in the manual the heading is accurate between ±50°, certainly when you hold it vertically, the heading information is wrong.
Once used it in a flight, all of my photos are embeded with GPS datas. As a logger, it recorded the whole routing of my flight. Fantastic!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3167 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.