Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3103
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
Shipmate Registered since 15th Jan 2009Mon 10-Jan-11 07:10 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"

SHERBORN, US

I gave my daughter a D3100 for Christmas along with a SanDisk 16Gb card. I also bought a Lexar SDHD 32Gb Pro Card for it. When I first put the Lexar card into the camera, it seemed to work ok. We took the card out and put it into her Mac. Capture NX2 was not opening her RAW files (I didn’t remember the posts about needing to upgrade to the most recent verison of NX2). I put the card back into the camera and the green transfer light on the camera came on and stayed on with the hour glass in the LED window. I tried a few things and, at one point, got a message that the card would not work with the camera. I went to Nikon’s web site and the Pro card was listed as a card that works so I took the card out of the camera and put it into a Cannon point and shoot. It worked in the Cannon so I reformatted the card in the Cannon and put it back into the D3100. It worked so I reformatted it again in the Nikon and took some pictures. It seemed fine. I took the card out and again put it into her Mac. It seemed to work fine but when I put it back into the D3100 the whole thing started again–green transfer light staying on, hour glass in LED. As she was going off to France for her semester abroad, I sent her with the SanDisk card and I kept the Lexar card. Has anyone else have this problem? I have not contacted Lexar yet but I will and I would like to be able to tell them if others have been able to use this card. Thanks for your help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100
MEMcD Moderator
10th Jan 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Jan 2011
Shipmate
11th Jan 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Jan 2011
WYguy
22nd Jan 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Jan-11 10:00 PM
25562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Peter,

I am not an expert on memory cards, but it sounds like the card may be corrupted or maybe the Mac is the root cause of the problem.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 10-Jan-11 10:05 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Macs add additional directories and files when accessing media that resembles the PC file system.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Shipmate Registered since 15th Jan 2009Tue 11-Jan-11 07:16 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

SHERBORN, US

>Macs add additional directories and files when accessing
>media that resembles the PC file system.

Thanks for the this information. What is the solution? I have always been told not to use the computer to re-format a memory card. When I put the card into the camera after transferring the images, it effectively stalled the camera so that I could not format it, or do anything else with it for that matter. Should she format the card using her Mac or will that add even more files and directories that will interfere with the D3100 using it?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 11-Jan-11 09:09 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 11-Jan-11 09:29 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Macintosh computers add additional directories and files when one just reads the cards. This means there is not even formatting or writing new user data to the card.

Without seeing the system and card, it is pretty hard to tell what is going on.

I would make sure all your system updates are applied and you are using the latest drivers.

Have you checked the Lexar site to see if your version of Mac OS supports this card?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

WYguy Registered since 30th Dec 2010Sat 22-Jan-11 02:26 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lexar SDHD 32 GB Pro Card in the D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

If you use a USB cable and download files to a Mac from the card while it is in the D3100 (or other camera) does this also cause new directories/files to be added to the in-camera card?

Thanks,
Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3103 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.