Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3082
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 and auto-focus" Previous topic | Next topic
Caroleen Registered since 10th Dec 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 03:15 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 and auto-focus"

Carthage, US

I was reading one of the topics and the person mentioned that the D3100 is not an auto-focus camera. Is that true? Is it not able to auto focus or what do they mean? I have a D80 and was interested in getting my hubby a D3100 so we could take up photography as a hobby to share. Not really interested though if its not an autofocus camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bacil Basic MemberThu 06-Jan-11 04:04 AM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 and auto-focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Excelsior, US

It is an auto focus camera. However, it autofocuses only with AF-S nikon lenses, HSM Sigma lenses, and BIM Tamron lenses. It's a great camera. You will be happy with it.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 04:35 AM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 and auto-focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Carol,

>I was reading one of the topics and the person mentioned that
>the D3100 is not an auto-focus camera. Is that true?

No. The D3100 is an Autofocus camera. In fact All Nikon DSLR's are Autofocus cameras.

>Is it not able to auto focus or what do they mean?

The D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D5000, and D3100 do not have an AF motor built into the camera body. These bodies require AF-S type lenses that have the AF motor built into the lens. The older AF lenses (screwdriver type AF) will not Autofocus on these bodies. With an AF-S type lens or a third party lenses that have an AF motors built into them mounted on the D3100 Autofocus is fully supported.

>I have a D80 and was interested in getting my hubby a D3100 so we >could take up photography as a hobby to share.

Two of the lenses (18-105mm and Tamron 18-270mm) you have listed in your User Profile will AF when mounted on the D3100. The AF 50mm f/1.8D which is a screwdriver type lens will not AF on the D3100.

>Not really interested though if its not an autofocus camera.

Relax. It is an Autofocus camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Caroleen Registered since 10th Dec 2007Thu 06-Jan-11 11:38 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 and auto-focus"
In response to Reply # 2

Carthage, US

Thank you everyone for the answers you provided. Thanks

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3082 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.