Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3067
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
tonyboy9 Registered since 23rd Aug 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 01:36 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"

PH

I can’t believe I paid for a brand new D3100 with kit lens, plus the Nikkor 55-300mm lens and got no cables; none for downloading to my computer by USB, none for viewing video by HDMI, none for AC/DC power.

Does anyone know if this USB cable from amazon.com will work for the D3100? If not, please provide me with the cable number so I can order it.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-UC-E4-Cable-D70s-D100/dp/B00009R6VS/ref=acc_glance_p_ai_13535371_t_2

Now why would I want to use this new D3100 without viewing images on my computer? Bad move, Nikon!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon
MEMcD Moderator
05th Jan 2011
tonyboy9
05th Jan 2011
dgrover1122
05th Jan 2011
tonyboy9
05th Jan 2011
MEMcD Moderator
05th Jan 2011
tonyboy9
05th Jan 2011
nikon3100
06th Jan 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 04:10 AM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tony,

The USB cord in the link will fit the D3100.
As for downloading the images onto a computer, most of us use a Card Reader. Less wear and tear on the Camera and battery. Most Computers including laptops have an SD Card Reader built into them.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

tonyboy9 Registered since 23rd Aug 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 07:53 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

PH

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the tips. I will search for an SD card reader.

Tony

dgrover1122 Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 11:42 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Alexandria, US

I bought a D3000 kit and it came with the cables. I use a card reader as it's just more convenient. I actually have a drawer full of cables from Tvs, computers, cameras, etc. I know I'll never use them, but I keep them around "just in case".
If your computer doesn't have a slot you can buy a USB/card adapter for $5 at Walmart or Target. I have my cables if you want me to send to you just post your address in my profile and I'll send them out this weekend.

tonyboy9 Registered since 23rd Aug 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 12:28 PM
#4. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 3

PH

Thanks for the offer, I have already looked for the card reader, my computer has several USB connections.

I never gave the reader a thought, because I have always downloaded the old fashioned way with cable. Wear and tear and battery use is something to consider, but most of all the convenience of not having to connect wires.

I'm learning about my D3100 by taking the same shots moving the 18-55mm lens. I think for getting in close to take wide angle shots, the image is best between 24mm and 35mm, but that's just me.

When I use aperture priority ('A' mode), I press the 'I' information button, and I get shutter speed and aperture info. What button do you press to move aperture up or down?

I learned you can go to 'Guide' mode, advanced operation, and learn more about aperture there. Now I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 05-Jan-11 02:53 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 05-Jan-11 02:54 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Tony,

>When I use aperture priority ('A' mode), I press the 'I'
>information button, and I get shutter speed and aperture info.
>What button do you press to move aperture up or down?

In Aperture Priority mode: Use the Command Dial (Thumb Wheel) at the upper right corner on the back of the camera to change the Aperture.
See page 8,74-77 in the D3100 Users Manual
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

tonyboy9 Registered since 23rd Aug 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 11:26 PM
#6. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

PH

Hi Marty,

Thanks again, this time for keeping me out of the owner's manual, good grief.

My D3100 came from a department store in Japan, since I'm in the Philippines, and amazon.com will not ship here, for good reasons. Last time I glanced at the owner's manual, the thing was written entirely in Japanese.

Tony

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 04:00 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New D3100 purchaser losing patience with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 6

PT

To adjust the aperture size whilst in aperture priority, just roll the thumb wheel left or right.

If you're in manual mode then you need to hold down the exposure compensation button (next to the shutter release - it even has a small aperture icon) and the roll the thumb wheel simultaneously.

D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm Zoom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.