Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3063
View in linear mode

Subject: "Display of Clean Image Sensor" Previous topic | Next topic
beester Registered since 30th Nov 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 10:53 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Display of Clean Image Sensor"

US

I just upgraded from a D60 to a D3100 and have a question about cleaning the image sensor. In particular, with the D60 when you set the option to clean the image sensor on each on/off it displayed that choice in the menu. Moreover, when you turned the D60 on or off an animated display came on the screen showing the sensor being cleaned. With the D3100 when I set the option to clean the sensor at startup and shut down and then press OK all I see next to the clean image sensor selection on the Setup Menu screen is --. Moreover, when I turn the camera on or off, there is no animated display showing the sensor being cleaned. Does the D3100 have that animated screen? If so, does it sound as if my camera is defective? Thanks in advance for your response.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor
jpFoto
04th Jan 2011
beester
04th Jan 2011
jpFoto
05th Jan 2011
beester
05th Jan 2011
jpFoto
05th Jan 2011
jpFoto
05th Jan 2011
beester
05th Jan 2011
nikon3100
06th Jan 2011

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 11:18 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't have mine set to clean the sensor at startup, but when I choose "Clean image sensor" from the menu and press OK, it says, "Cleaning image sensor" and then "Done."

beester Registered since 30th Nov 2010Tue 04-Jan-11 11:37 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your response. My D3100 does clean the sensor when you choose that option and it displays a message saying "Cleaning Image Sensor" and then "Done". It doesn't display that message when you turn the camera on or off after setting the Clean At option to On/Off (startup - shutdown). I would really appreciate it if you could set your camera so that the Clean At On/Off is selected and then turn the camera off and on and let me know if you get the message "Cleaning Image Sensor" and "Done". If so then my D3100 must be defective, since I don't get that message and thus have no idea of whether or not the sensor is being cleaned on shutdown and startup. Thanks again.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 01:13 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I tried what you had asked, and I do not see any messages whatsoever. I don't think that you have a problems with your camera, but if you would like me to try something different, I would be happy to do so, just let me know.

beester Registered since 30th Nov 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 03:29 AM
#4. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 3

US

One last thing. When you were in the Setup Menu for the "clean image sensor" option was there two dashes "--" showing after you drilled down and selected the "Startup & shutdown OK"? After I do that, when I go back to the Setup Menu screen and look at the clean image sensor option it still shows "--". My old Nikon D60 used to show the particular option selected, i.e., clean image sensor at on/off. Since my D3100 doesn't do anything like that I don't have any idea in looking at the main setup menu what setting i have chosen unless I drill down further. Perhaps that is the way that the Nikon engineers wanted to do it. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 08:07 AM
#5. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 05-Jan-11 08:35 AM by jpFoto

US

Yes, the only thing that ever appears in the menu, no matter which option that I select, are the two "--" dashes when you get to the "Clean image sensor" portion of the menu.

There are at least a few other experienced Nikonians that I know of who monitor this forum and have D3100s, so perhaps they will confirm this for you also.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 09:55 PM
#6. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 05-Jan-11 09:55 PM by jpFoto

US

I took your concerns one step further and put my D700 though the same steps, and the results are the same, no indication that the sensor is being cleaned when turned on or off and the two dashes "--" are all that appear next to the menu item.

beester Registered since 30th Nov 2010Wed 05-Jan-11 11:55 PM
#7. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 6

US

That's all I really need to know. I can't thank you enough for your help.

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 06-Jan-11 03:55 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Display of Clean Image Sensor"
In response to Reply # 7

PT

I confirm that my D3100 behaves in the same way so no problems with your camera.

D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm Zoom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3063 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.