Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3042
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera shake making panoramas with a Gigapan head" Previous topic | Next topic
Stonecherub Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Mon 03-Jan-11 01:39 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera shake making panoramas with a Gigapan head"

Tucson, US

I have a D5000 with the 18-200mm lens.

For those unfamiliar with the Gigapan head, it is a robot that holds the camera and steps it through a series of positions pressing the shutter release at each one to make an image. Those images are stitched to make a panorama (Check out this panorama at www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=15374 - zoom in to see individual faces).

In the best of all worlds, I could program my 5000 to use the 2-sec self timer to retard shutter release until the shake from moving and stopping the camera had decayed. In this world, my panoramas are unusable, at least with this lens which is 20 cm when zoomed to 200mm.

I plan to use a cable release to manually trigger the shutter and I have read that the Nikon remote will mimic the 2-sec self timer and raise the mirror. Is this true? Will the cheaper remotes do the same thing?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cfastie Registered since 03rd Jan 2011Mon 03-Jan-11 09:56 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Camera shake making panoramas with a Gigapan head"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Here is a video I made about using the Gigapan Epic 100 with a Nikon D40. It might answer some of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YhBM89sEo0

The Gigapans taken with this setup can be seen here:

http://gigapan.org/profiles/19523/

Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #3042 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.