Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2963
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice on some settings for the D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 16-Dec-10 08:06 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice on some settings for the D3100"
Thu 16-Dec-10 08:06 AM by nikon3100

PT

I've been spending more time going through the various settings of the D3100 and would like to have some opinions on what other users use.
What colour space setting is better to use, sRGB or Adobe RGB? I have mine set to sRGB.

RAW or fine jpeg? Taking file size out of the equation, is there any noticeable (as in visible) difference between the two? E.G. would RAW give better colour graduations on finer detail?

Noise reduction on or off? Does having it on negatively effect the image quality in any way? I have it on at the moment.

Auto distortion control on or off? Again does having it on negatively effect the image quality in any way? I have it on.

Should I just leave white balance on auto or make tweaks to it? Is the D3100 biased toward one side of the spectrum or another making white balance adjustment necessary?

What about Picture Control settings? Does one generally leave these as default or tweak them? I played with it a little but noticed no difference but then it wasn't a very scientific comparison at high resolution.

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts.

D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm Zoom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100
JosephK Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
aolander Silver Member
16th Dec 2010
nikon3100
17th Dec 2010
MEMcD Moderator
17th Dec 2010
mtellez
28th Dec 2010
nikon3100
28th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
31st Dec 2010

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 07:03 PM
3755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Much will depend on how much time you want to spend in post production of your shots.

>What colour space setting is better to use, sRGB or Adobe RGB?
>I have mine set to sRGB.

Adobe RGB is a bigger color space. If you do your own printing, it can help. The internet is sRGB based. Since I do virtually no printing and almost all web posting or web printing, sRGB makes much more sense for me.

>RAW or fine jpeg? Taking file size out of the equation, is
>there any noticeable (as in visible) difference between the
>two? E.G. would RAW give better colour graduations on finer
>detail?

Since RAW uses 12 or more bits per color (vs JPG's 8 bits), you get a bigger color space for finer graduations and more room for corrections when you don't get things correct in the camera. The down side to RAW is that you need to convert it to something else for printing and displaying (usually JPG). Post processing is required. Only Nikon's software reads all the camera settings in the NEF file.

>Noise reduction on or off? Does having it on negatively effect
>the image quality in any way? I have it on at the moment.

Noise reduction does effect IQ. How much is open to debate. You doing the noise reduction during post processing will often get you a better result. In general, turn it off if you don't need it.

>Auto distortion control on or off? Again does having it on
>negatively effect the image quality in any way? I have it on.

I cannot really speak to the D3100 capabilities on this.

>Should I just leave white balance on auto or make tweaks to
>it? Is the D3100 biased toward one side of the spectrum or
>another making white balance adjustment necessary?

The newer cameras have gotten REALLY good at auto white balance.
If you are shooting raw, there is lots of room for playing with it
during post processing; not so much for JPG. I personally tend to pick something other than "auto", like "sunny" or "cloudy" or "custom" with an ExpoDisc, just to keep things consistent.

>What about Picture Control settings? Does one generally leave
>these as default or tweak them? I played with it a little but
>noticed no difference but then it wasn't a very scientific
>comparison at high resolution.

Only Nikon's software read these settings in the NEF files; most/all third party software ignores it. For JPG files, this data is baked into the JPG by the camera.

I tend to leave all the settings neutral/off/zero and adjust them in post processing as needed. If I know I am not looking to do much post processing and shooting JPG, I will boost the contrast and the sharpening in the camera.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 16-Dec-10 10:32 PM
3061 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-Dec-10 02:13 AM by aolander

Nevis, US

If you shoot RAW, you don't have to worry about what color space or white balance the camera is set to as these are changeable in post processing. If you shoot JPEG and use sRGB color space, you won't be able to change to a wider gamut space later if need be. Shoot in Adobe RGB if you're going to shoot JPEGs.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Fri 17-Dec-10 09:24 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

PT

Thanks for the replies and explaining things. My problem is at the moment I don't know if I'll want to post process the images. I'm new to all this so don't have any experience with post processing apart from red eye removal and the odd increasing of brightness of an under exposed photo taken on an old digital compact.

I use Linux as my OS so can't use the Nikon software however the Linux photo apps seem to cope with the RAW files fine. Interesting point about only the Nikon software being able to read the camera settings in a NEF file. I did notice that there there wasn't as much EXIF data on the RAW images as the you get with jpeg but put that down to the RAW format not supporting it.

I think I'll stick with using RAW for the moment to give me flexibility to post process if I want to in the future and then turn off the other stuff like distortion control, noise reduction etc.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-Dec-10 03:37 PM
25039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Jacques,

The D3100 will allow you to capture both a Raw image (NEF) file and a jpeg file at the same time. It will use more memory but you won't have to do any PP (as the jpeg files are ready to go) unless you want to. This will provide you with the maximum amount of flexibility at the cost of a little more storage space.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mtellez Registered since 16th Jul 2010Tue 28-Dec-10 03:07 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

MX

>
>I use Linux as my OS so can't use the Nikon software however
>the Linux photo apps seem to cope with the RAW files fine.
Hi, I'm using Linux too, Ubuntu 10.04 and if you install UFraw you should be fine with raw. I also use f-spot as my catalog app, and gimp for my editing needs, so far so good

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Tue 28-Dec-10 08:07 AM
#6. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 5

PT

I'm using openSUSE 11.2 and 11.3 with KDE 4.5.4.

I just installed ufraw and the gimp plugin and had a quick play. I don't really understand a lot of the settings or adjustments so don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to post processing. I just change things until I like the look of the photo which may not be the ideal or technically correct setting in the end. And when it comes to the colour profiles, histograms, colour curves, etc I'm pretty clueless. Is there a good reference anyone could point me to to learn a little more about post processing?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 31-Dec-10 12:47 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

First thing: read your manual with your camera in front of you.

The in camera (large fine) JPEGs have gotten so good that I almost never shoot NEF.
I would rather take thousands of pictures than spend all my time processing a few.

If I were you, I would set the camera up to take both, so you can compare.
Then you can decide whether to shoot one only.

I would also start with the camera set to as fully Automatic as poossible
and practice my shooting technique before fine tuning the settings.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2963 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.