Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #295
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEF Files not readable" Previous topic | Next topic
Tushdr Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2006Mon 15-Jun-09 05:37 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF Files not readable"

Pics taken by D5000 in RAW format will not open either in Photoshop or Nikon Capture. I tried on two different computers. No problems with my NEF files from my D2X. Each program gives error message of file not compatible. Any one else having this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NEF Files not readable
walkerr Administrator
15th Jun 2009
Tushdr Silver Member
15th Jun 2009
DreamInducedHaze
15th Jun 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Jun 2009

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 15-Jun-09 12:45 AM
14432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEF Files not readable"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Jun-09 12:52 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

The Nikon D5000 is not supported by an official release of Photoshop's ACR yet. Adobe has a release candidate of ACR 5.4 available here that supports it:

www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=157807&mesg_id=157807&page=#157859

Note that this is a CS4 version of ACR.

While not necessarily the final version, I've found their previous release candidates work well and are stable.

I believe Capture NX 2.2 supports the D5000. Is that the version you're using?

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Tushdr Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2006Mon 15-Jun-09 03:03 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEF Files not readable"
In response to Reply # 1

Adobe camera raw 5.4 worked but unfortunately only have nikon capture NX. I guess i will not be able to use Nikon Capture for D5000.

DreamInducedHaze Registered since 08th May 2009Mon 15-Jun-09 04:50 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NEF Files not readable"
In response to Reply # 2

US

ViewNX that comes on the CD with the camera views the NEF files, then you can go to "File" (from the menu) -> "Launch Picture Control Utility" to edit the NEF files.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 15-Jun-09 01:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NEF Files not readable"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 15-Jun-09 04:07 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

As mentioned, you can use Nikon View NX, updated to version 1.3.0, to open the NEF and then use the "Open with" to transfer a TIFF image to Nikon Capture or PhotoShop.

Can you be more specific about which Nikon Capture and version you have. There is Nikon Capture, Nikon Capture NX, and Nikon Capture NX2. If it is hte Nikon Capture that was for the D2x, it is very old and can not be upgraded to the newest Nikon Capture NX2.

You could also download Adobe's DNG Converter and convert your NEF's to the Adobe DNG file type and then opening the DNG file in PhotoShop.

There are many versions and varaiations (Elements, CS, etc) of 'PhotoShop' providing the full product name and version may help us provide more information.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #295 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.