nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2946
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100 LCD Screen Protectors" Previous topic | Next topic
msgusa Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Sun 12-Dec-10 10:16 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"

US

I cringe thinking about how easy it would be to damage the exposed D3100 LCD screen. Has anyone used a LCD Screen protector for their D3100 or other Nikon SLR?

Is it true that they are glued on? If they are, do they stay on, and can they be easily taken off without damaging the LCD screen?

Lastly, what is the best one that money can buy, i.e. most durable, lets the most light through, reputable brand, etc.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors
msgusa
14th Dec 2010
nikon3100
15th Dec 2010
Serendipity76
22nd Dec 2010
Serendipity76
22nd Dec 2010
msgusa
22nd Dec 2010
nikon3100
23rd Dec 2010
msgusa
23rd Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
25th Dec 2010
Raptors Rule
26th Dec 2010
nikon3100
27th Dec 2010
Raptors Rule
27th Dec 2010
Kensogtp1
22nd Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
22nd Mar 2011
                                        Reply message RE: GGS LCD Screen Protectors
23rd Sep 2011

msgusa Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 14-Dec-10 05:32 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 14-Dec-10 05:34 PM by msgusa

US

If anyone is interested in these LCD screen protectors, I did some research and found a few manufactures. The one that stands out is Giotto's "AEGIS" glass series. It looks impressive so I ordered one from B&H. I listed some interesting information below.

Just to be clear, I am a new D3100 owner who is concerned about damaging my LCD screen and do not have ANY connections to Giotto or B&H. If the moderators feel this information is inappropriate to post please delete it.
---------------------------------------------

"Giotto AEGIS Glass Screen Protectors"
Most LCD screen protectors fall into one of two main categories; the plastic stick-on sheet or the flip-up housing. Stick-on sheets are prone to peeling off, bubbling, and have no positive optical qualities while LCD hoods or screen covers add bulk and are cumbersome while only minimally preserving the LCD image.

The Giotto AEGIS Glass Screen Protectors are very different in as much as they protect the screen with ultra-high quality Schott German glass while preserving the optical properties of the LCD's display. The Schott glass protection is only 0.5mm in width and adds no significant weight or bulk to the camera body. Most importantly, the glass layer protects the screen from impact, chemical damage and scratches which can mar a LCD viewing screen. It affixes to a LCD screen with a thin layer of 3M brand double-sided tape which prevents the risk of air bubbles forming under the glass. An added bonus is that the screen is removable and replaceable if it gets scratched or damaged.

AEGIS 80 Series protectors also feature multi-coatings that lower reflections, withstands UV light, and enhances the overall image display. Both sides of the glass are coated with 12 layers of Anti-Reflective (AR) coating that provide an outstanding 98% transmission of light in the 420~680 nm range. Designed for 3.0 inch diagonal LCD screens (overall dimensions 65.95 x 49.30 mm).

- Translucent glass from Schott Germany: Thickness is 0.5mm +/- 0.05mm; Light transmission is above 98%

- No air bubbles or color casts

- Completely protects the LCD and working display

- Adds reinforcement to the LCD, the rigidity of the glass surface reached 8-9 and the elastic pressure is 4KG/CM2 which can withstand many impacts.

- Good rigidity, protects LCD panel against abrasion, scratches or accidental impact.

- Uses 12-layer AR Coating technology of LEYBOLD Germany to improve the transparency and withstands UV, protecting LCD, improving the color quality and prolonging the working life of the LCD.

- Fingerprint and water-proof repellent coating with nano technology.

- TESA 4972 double side tape. It is easily mounted, seals the LCD and prevents the liquid or dirt from reaching into the inside of LCD and screen.

- The protective screen is specially processed and made from imported glass material which is resistant to damage by acid or alkali to the LCD screen in order to prolong the working life of LCD burn-in resistance.

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Wed 15-Dec-10 03:14 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 1

PT

Let us know your thoughts when you fit it. I ordered a Vikuiti screen protector ADQC27, the flexible plastic type, for my D3100. I've had no problems with these type on my PDA / smart phones so hopefully it'll be fine on the camera.

D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm Zoom

Serendipity76 Registered since 19th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 10:42 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 2

London, UK

Hi there,

I am an absolute beginner and have just received my new Nikon D3100. Having made that investment I want to make sure it's not damaged and am keen to buy a screen protector.

I've looked into the Giottos glass screen protectors but can only find ones for Nikon D300 and for Nikon D3. Will either of these fit the D3100? I don't want to order the wrong size.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Anna

Serendipity76 Registered since 19th Dec 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 03:36 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 22-Dec-10 03:38 PM by Serendipity76

London, UK

Having done some research online today I decided to order the below from Amazon as it has good reviews on some of the digital photography sites I visited, is cheap and a good price (around £10 in UK).

GGS LCD Glass Screen Protector For Nikon D3100, High Transparency, Anti-scrape, Anti Bump.

Hopefully it will prove a good purchase. As I find it very tempting to buy things on Amazon I also ordered Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set: v. 1, 2 & 3. I love Amazon but it is damaging my bank balance!

Thanks

msgusa Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 22-Dec-10 04:26 PM
#5. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 22-Dec-10 04:36 PM by msgusa

US

Monday I received the "Giotto AEGIS Glass Screen Protector" for my D3100. Until today it has been very cloudy, so a proper test was delayed. My impressions are below.

It has very high quality. The glass looks durable and the 12-layer AR coating is very consistant. It should do a good job in protecting the LCD screen from abrasions.

Giotto's website doesn't list a D3100 version yet, so I purchased the 3-inch generic model (SP 8300). It fits very well, although to fit perfectly it should be 1.0mm higher and wider.

It uses a sticky non-permanent adhesive to attach onto the LCD screen. If you need to remove it, the instructions say to heat the protector by using a hair-dryer for approximately 30 seconds and then pull it off.

The 12-layer AR coating that it uses really helps in stopping both indoor lighting and outdoor sunlight from "washing" out the LCD image. It is a very noticeable improvement. The glass cleans easily without smearing. For $25.00 I believe it was money well spent.

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Thu 23-Dec-10 01:44 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 5

PT

Well, I received my Vikuiti screen protector (purchased from Amazon) and fitted it. It fits perfectly and is very clear with no noticable reflections. I don't have any air bubbles underneath it either.

I'm pleased with it and if in the future I need to replace it I'll consider a glass type but see no real advantage of them.

msgusa Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Thu 23-Dec-10 02:20 PM
#7. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 23-Dec-10 02:48 PM by msgusa

US

>Well, I received my Vikuiti screen protector (purchased from Amazon) and fitted it. It fits perfectly and is very clear with no noticable reflections. I don't have any air bubbles underneath it either.

>I'm pleased with it and if in the future I need to replace it I'll consider a glass type but see no real advantage of them.

Sounds good to me. No matter whichever route we take, the end result is to protect the LCD screen, and as a secondary benefit to reduce glare.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 25-Dec-10 02:16 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

I've been using the "Giotto AEGIS Glass Screen Protectors" on all my cameras for several years now.

They are far better than anything else I've tried.

Two downsides:

1. Be extremely careful when putting over your "clean" LCD screen.
It is very easy to put them on crocked and hard to move afterwards.

2. They darken the screen.
Easily fixed by turning up the Brightness.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Raptors Rule Registered since 24th Nov 2010Sun 26-Dec-10 12:18 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I am also interested in a screen protector for my D3100. The Vikuiti screen protector I couldn't find at Amazon. Can you please reply with a link?

nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010Mon 27-Dec-10 09:09 AM
#10. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 9

PT

>I am also interested in a screen protector for my D3100. The
>Vikuiti screen protector I couldn't find at Amazon. Can you
>please reply with a link?
Sure. Here it is.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042KCYLM/ref=oss_product

Raptors Rule Registered since 24th Nov 2010Mon 27-Dec-10 07:06 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks for the link.
Since it was an Amazon UK website the shipping probably will cost half the price of the screen protector to the United States.

In the meantime, I found Lexerd - Nikon D3100 TrueVue Anti-glare Digital Camera Screen Protector for under $10 at Amazon's US site.
I'll soon buy and post a review.

Kensogtp1 Registered since 14th Mar 2011Tue 22-Mar-11 12:46 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Does anybody know if there is a specific Giottos for the D5000???

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 22-Mar-11 01:13 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D3100 LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

>Does anybody know if there is a specific Giottos for the
>D5000???

No, but you can measure the screen and then order one with the same dimensions.

I would not try to cut the glass.
A glass cuter would leave sharp edges.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 23-Sep-11 06:50 AM
#14. "RE: GGS LCD Screen Protectors"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri 23-Sep-11 06:57 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I just got a 3" GGS Screen Protector for my D5100.
Very similar to the Giottos Glass one but only 6 layers and a lot cheaper ($4.59 w shipping at Amazon).
I think it is thinner, and this is a good thing, because it does not interfere with folding up the articulating Monitor.
I had to turn on the LCD first in order to center it correctly as it is not as big as the screen.
However, it does cover all the viewable area.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2946 Previous topic | Next topic