Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2924
View in linear mode

Subject: "Night club scene" Previous topic | Next topic
AltamontLens Registered since 08th Dec 2010Wed 08-Dec-10 01:57 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Night club scene"

US

Im hoping ill get some good replies to this. I own a D3000
(18-55mm) and i use a SB600 flash. I will be taking some
photos at a local club on friday in chicago. I have taken
photos before of open mics, but there was very very low
lighting yet ive worked with them to come out pretty good if i
say so myself lol. Point is, what type settings for my camera
and flash would be good for a night club scene.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 08-Dec-10 12:52 PM
10411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Night club scene"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hello Altamont and Welcome to Nikonians,

Presumably flash will be allowed in the club. If that's the case and the subject is relatively still, then your easiest option is to set the camera to P, the flash to TTL (not TTL-BL, which is the usual setting - press the MODE button on the flash to change) and start clicking. I would also raise the ISO a bit to 400 to give a bit of margin on the effective shutter speed. Take a few test shots to ensure it's working as expected.

You can also experiment with Slow-Synch once you're comfortable with the above situation. That will give you more creative opportunities, but it will be blurry a little (or a lot) depending on how fast your subject's motion is.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

AltamontLens Registered since 08th Dec 2010Mon 20-Dec-10 04:32 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Night club scene"
In response to Reply # 1

US

thank you for the help. im more of a hands on person but this did help alot.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2924 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.