nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2884
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lowlight settings help" Previous topic | Next topic
TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 28-Nov-10 12:57 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lowlight settings help"
Sun 28-Nov-10 01:00 AM by TMort

US

I have a 35mm 1.8 and a 18-200mm lens for my d3100. Can anyone give advise on what the best settings would be for each lens in low light? IE: photojournalism type dawn/dusk photography?

Also, are there any aftermarket guide books for the d3100?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Mon 29-Nov-10 08:47 PM
2775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lowlight settings help"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If you want to let the most light in you can, set the camera on aperture priority, and set the aperture as wide as you can. That's f1.8 on your 35. On the 18-200 it's a variable aperture and will be the widest at 18mm, where you can set it to f3.5. As you zoom in, the aperture will narrow to f5.6 at the long end. Your 35 is a better choice than your 18-200 for low-light photography.

If you need a faster shutter speed with the lens wide open, you'll need to raise the ISO, but the D3100 should get good results as high as 1600 or maybe 3200 ISO. I don't have one, so I'm not an authority here, but you can take some test shots at higher ISOs to see what's acceptable to you.

Depending on what your subject is, if it's not moving you can put the camera on a tripod and shoot longer exposures, so what I've said above applies to shooting hand-held, or with subjects that are moving.

Short answer. Use your 35, aperture priority, set at f1.8, and up the ISO to whatever you need to get a shutter speed that minimizes blurring.

Randy

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Thu 02-Dec-10 01:49 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lowlight settings help"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Randy!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2884 Previous topic | Next topic