Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2803
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels." Previous topic | Next topic
aeon_campbell Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sat 13-Nov-10 06:02 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."

AU

Hello,

D3000 = 10.2 Mp
D3100 = 14.2 Mp

However I would like to shoot stills such that both the cameras have equal correspondence.
I checked both the cams however they seem to have only the L, M and S settings for the image resolution.

I short if I shoot a still on the D3000 @ 10Mp can I do the same and shoot on the D3100 @ 10Mp by changing some kind of setting.

Regards,
Aeon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixel...
JosephK Silver Member
13th Nov 2010
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2010
aeon_campbell
14th Nov 2010
blw Moderator
14th Nov 2010
aeon_campbell
14th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
14th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
14th Nov 2010
MEMcD Moderator
15th Nov 2010
blw Moderator
15th Nov 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 13-Nov-10 08:17 PM
4102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

You can drop the D3100 to medium and get ~8 mp picture.

What is the problem you are looking to solve?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Nov-10 09:38 PM
25566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Aeon,

Welcome to Nikonians!
It can't be done using in camera settings.
Your best bet would be to shoot at full resolution and adjust the image resolution in PP using image editing software.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aeon_campbell Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sun 14-Nov-10 02:30 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 2

AU

Thank you JosephK and MEMcD for you replies.

Well I want to take equal MegaPix stills and do some post on them.
MEMcD you say that I should shoot at full and the do some PP. Sorry, I do not understand PP? is it post production?
In post can I resample the 14MP image to a 10MP one?

Basically with equal settings and the both cams at the same location I want pixel to pixel identical stills.
I wonder if this could be possible?

Rgds,
Aeon

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 14-Nov-10 12:17 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

Not realistically. You could crop away the extra 4 megapixels, but then your field of view won't be exactly the same.

You can resample down to 10mp, but then the resolution won't be the same, and while the results may look the same, they won't be.

What problem are you trying to solve?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aeon_campbell Registered since 13th Nov 2010Sun 14-Nov-10 04:23 PM
#5. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 4

AU

>Not realistically. You could crop away the extra 4
>megapixels, but then your field of view won't be exactly the
>same.
>
>You can resample down to 10mp, but then the resolution won't
>be the same, and while the results may look the same, they
>won't be.
>
>What problem are you trying to solve?

Thanks blw, I have to take stills of an object with the 2 cams from different angles and do post on these images.
But the problem is that both the cams have different megapix, so I'm unable to find a way through.
Someone suggested me to adjust different zoom levels on the cams and then crop them out as you have said.
Don't know how accurate would that be though?

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Sun 14-Nov-10 04:46 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 5

NZ

If I understand your problem, you will need to find out how much you need to zoom out on the D3100 to get the same cropped 10 MP scene as the D3000.

To start with the D3100 is 14.2 MP, the D3000 is 10.2 MP.

So your D3100 picture will need to be 14.2/10.2 x bigger so you need to zoom out with the lens.

To be more precise, the longest side of your D3100 picture needs to be (square root (14.2/10.2) = 1.18 x) longer than the longest side of the D3000 picture. So if the subject you are viewing through the D3000 viewfinder takes up 12 inches on your longest side at the subject distance, then you will need to zoom out so that your D3100 can see 14.16 inches at the subject distance.

So when you crop the 14.2 MP picture to 10.2 MP, you should get the same sized picture with the same number of pixels.

Makes sense?

Let us know how it goes....this is all theory!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 14-Nov-10 05:18 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

>Thanks blw, I have to take stills of an object with the 2 cams
>from different angles and do post on these images.
>But the problem is that both the cams have different megapix,
>so I'm unable to find a way through.

I'm not sure I understand this either - why do the images from the two cameras need to have the same number of pixels? What are you doing with the images during and after postprocessing?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 15-Nov-10 07:28 PM
25566 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Aeon,

Are you trying to capture stereo images?
If your subject is static, simply move your camera and capture an image from each position.
If your subject is moving you would be better served by purchasing another D3000 or D3100 and a lens to match the one you will be using.
Even using two identical cameras and lenses getting the images to match perfectly at the pixel level will be extremely difficult at best.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 15-Nov-10 09:25 PM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: D3000 / D3100: Shooting stills with equal megapixels."
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

I still don't understand the problem very well, but I think what I'd do is simply interpolate the 14mp down to 10mp (more specifically to the pixel sie of the 10mp image) and be done with it at that. It won't match pixel for pixel, but they're from different angles so that shouldn't matter.

In Photoshop, this means open the image, Image -> Image Size, fill in the long size of the smaller image, set the interpolation method to bicubic sharper (for reducing the image size) and apply.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2803 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.