nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2793
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
ericabeltra   US  Registered since 12th Nov 2010 Fri 12-Nov-10 06:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3100"

Hello all I have a Nikon D80 which was given to me as a gift. I love it and have not had a problem with it until now. When I sent it to Nikon to be fixed it will cost to much. So I was looking into getting the new D3100. I use the basics on the camera and that is all, I love to take pictures of my family and friends. Can you give me your opinions about the d3100 and if you think its a good idea to buy it.

Erica

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.   Seattle, WA, US  Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006 Fri 12-Nov-10 10:26 PM
5286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Since you would be stepping down from the D80/D90 line, a good first question is this: Given that the D3100 is missing the focus motor, are all your current lenses AFS so that the D3100 can do auto-focus?

There is a size difference in the two bodies. Will this change in ergonomics be OK for you?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

jpFoto   US  Registered since 25th Jun 2010 Fri 12-Nov-10 10:51 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 12-Nov-10 11:10 PM by jpFoto

Joseph is right about the autofocus motor, and if any of your lenses are not AF-S, they will not autofocus with the D3100. Almost all G lenses are AF-S. Other than that, and that's a big one, the D3100 is IMO, a more sophisticated camera, with a better sensor and with far better low light capabiities. It is not a "step down" it's definitely a better camera, IMHO.

Holmes375   RO  Registered since 09th Sep 2006 Sat 13-Nov-10 03:00 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Nov-10 03:01 AM by Holmes375

I had mine only a few days before my niece absconded with it - but those few days certainly impressed me. So much so I had to buy another for myself

The D3100 is an amazingly capable little camera. An entry level machine but capable of so much more.

You will, as mentioned, need lenses with built-in motors; AF-S (Nikon), HSM (Sigma), BIM or USD (Tamron), etc.

For your stated uses, the D3100 should be an admirable performer.

Oh,... and welcome to Nikonians

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

dimitrios66 Silver Member  Dunedin, US  Nikonian since 06th Dec 2007 Thu 18-Nov-10 01:02 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

I had a D80 a few years ago. I just purchased the D3100 and with the limited trial shots i have done so far, it really impresses. It seems to be very accurate, compact, and easy to use. You cant beat if for the price if you are a casual photographer.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D5000/D3000 series (Public) topic #2793 Previous topic | Next topic