Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2748
View in linear mode

Subject: "Point and shoot sports with the D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Tue 02-Nov-10 04:05 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Point and shoot sports with the D5000"

US

Hi all. Picked up the D5000 kit at Costco. Read up and thought I had it figured out. Went to my kids X country meet on a light rain / drizzle day and all my shots were blurry. I used the 55 - 200 lens with the camera set on the sports mode. I switched to manual focus and started getting shots. I had to focus on a spot and wait for the kids to hit that spot. So sports shooters Where did I go wrong. I'm new. Used to small point and shoot cameras. I want to figure this out and get going! What is the ideal set up for shooting outdoor sports? How do you set up your D5000 and get the shot?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Nov 2010
Wetside
03rd Nov 2010
Wetside
03rd Nov 2010
JosephK Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
Wetside
03rd Nov 2010
Wetside
03rd Nov 2010
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Nov 2010
Wetside
03rd Nov 2010
JosephK Silver Member
03rd Nov 2010
Wetside
04th Nov 2010
Wetside
05th Nov 2010
blw Moderator
05th Nov 2010
Wetside
11th Nov 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 02-Nov-10 05:30 AM
4387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Need more info from you regarding the settings you were using related to focus. If you still have an unedited pic with all the EXIF data for one of you "bad" shots, please post it for us to look at.

In general for sports you need to be using:
- AF-C mode (continuous focus)
- Dynamic area or single area (center) focus
- your 55-200mm should be wide open to maximize light gathering
- increase your ISO to get a shutter speed of 1/200 or faster

When shooting moving targets, you need to first let the camera lock onto your subject, then get it do track the target. Then you can fully press the shutter release.

"Trap focus" like you were doing in manual mode is a well known technique for catching moving targets.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 12:52 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the quick reply Joseph. Actually I was shooting just south of you in Olympia for districts. When in the sport mode the camera won't let me change to AF-C AF-S is all that is available. I was trying to let the camera lock in and in fact I was getting shots but every single one on auto focus was blurry. When I have the cam on sport mode it will not let me select AF-C in the menu. Unless I am doing something wrong. I will try and post a shot. Haven't posted pics here before.

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 01:01 AM
#3. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hmmm looks like to post a pic on the forums I have to upgrade to silver which is no big deal but I have not ruled out hauling the whole package back to costco to get a simpler non tele camera. Would it help to link to my photobucket account?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 01:09 AM
4387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

A link to photobucket will work fine.

According to page 54 of your manual, AF-C can only be chosen in p/s/a/m modes (none of the scene modes). In that case, I would go with Aperture priority (A) mode, open the lens all the way, and bump up the ISO to get a fast enough shutter speed.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 01:23 AM
#5. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Ok my mistake. Uploaded a couple. They are on my account. However that works. Sorry too new. Yes I am paying attention Joseph. I really want to make this work. So I will go back and read your last post.

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 01:27 AM
#6. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

US

OK, so try again shooting in the "A" mode. Set the autofocus on AF-
C and crank up the ISO settings? State is this weekend at Pasco. Maybe I will give it a try shooting cars on the highway. Thanks for the help!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Nov-10 04:13 AM
25983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Nikonians!
In Sports mode the default AF mode is Continuous Focus (AF-C) mode.
Did you track your subjects movement keeping the Active AF point on them until the AF system locked on before you released the shutter?
InAF-C mode the shutter will release regardless of focus.
You have to make sure that your subject is in focus before your release the shutter.
Good Luck and Enjoy your nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Wed 03-Nov-10 01:53 AM
#7. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I can't see that the pic showed up in my gallery so here is the photo bucket link
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/commanderchaosandkids/Blurry/DSC_0011.jpghotobucket link

Here is another pic from the bunch.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/commanderchaosandkids/Blurry/DSC_0010.jpg

And here is one of my manual focus shots taken later on.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/commanderchaosandkids/DSC_0054.jpg

Thanks

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 03-Nov-10 05:32 AM
#9. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

The first two pics show you were in "sports" scene mode with focus set to AF-A. This suggests that either (1) the camera used AF-S, which would lock focus then release the shutter after the subject had moved resulting in an out of focus subject, or (2) the camera chose AF-C but you were not getting focus lock on the subject nor focus tracking, as Marty mentions in message #8. Given the greatness of the focus blur I am leaning toward (2).

The aperture settings were wide open, as expected. The shutter speed was good (1/400 - 1/500) with the ISO reasonable (1000) for the lighting.

I would suggest moving away from the sports scene mode so that the camera does less of the thinking. Use aperture mode, open the lens to the max, set the ISO so that the shutter speed is around 1/400. Set the focus mode to AF-C and dynamic area.

When focusing on moving subjects, half press the shutter with the subject on the center focus point. Keep the half-press as you track the subject so that the camera will also track the subject, then finish the press to release the shutter. This process does take a little time to work, so you cannot just raise the camera and mash the shutter release.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Thu 04-Nov-10 03:18 AM
#10. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks for the resposes! I do appreciate it. I was under the assumption that the shutter would not release unless the subject was in focus. I didn't realize the shutter will release whether in focus or not in sport mode. I am not used to a lense with that much zoom so the subjects seemed to jump into full frame way quicker than I am used to. Yes I was half pushing the shutter button trying to get the subjects in focus. Thanks for the advice. I will try the settings you suggest Joseph and Marty you cleared up a misnomer I had. I will try again.

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Fri 05-Nov-10 01:44 AM
#11. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Well I took some more pics at X country practice today. I Used both the sport mode and Joseph's recommended settings. I have far less blurry pics but still shot some. I now think two different things are going on. First they are blurry if I don't give the auto focus enough time to adjust. When the crew came around a corner today I aimed and half triggered the shutter. I shot 4 shots in succession. I noted the first 2 were blurry. The second 2 were fine. It seems to me sometimes the camera isn't focusing on the tarkget but what is behind the target. Anyway things are improving. I think the autofocus is a little slow when you are trying to target runners with the zoom. I look forward to the state championships so I can compare the manual settings to the sport settings. Hopefully in full sun!

Thanks again for the info!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 05-Nov-10 02:43 AM
26674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

Richmond, US

The AF may seem slow but in practice even the slowest lenses on the slowest cameras are able to track most subjects. I've even shot professional racing cars (150+mph) with macro lenses successfully. If you're getting blurry out of focus results, you almost certainly aren't getting the target acquired in the first place. When the camera is focusing on something behind the target, it's a good bet that the AF target wasn't really on the intended subject - that's very easy to do.

There definitely are limits to what the AF systems can track, but they are far higher than most people realize.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Wetside Registered since 31st Oct 2010Thu 11-Nov-10 06:08 AM
#13. "RE: Point and shoot sports with the D5000"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Yes, I did much better at state. I did get a few blurry pics but most were good. I have learned to be a bit more patient and it is paying off. Hope to keep the learning curve improving!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2748 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.