Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2744
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie, needs information, purchasing today! Please hel..." Previous topic | Next topic
blogan Registered since 31st Oct 2010Sun 31-Oct-10 04:48 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie, needs information, purchasing today! Please help!"

US

I am out of the country and leaving for an even longer period. I am a musician and want to buy a camera. I can get the d3000 for 499.00 or the d3100 for 734.00 or the d5000 for 737.00.

I am a complete beginner, but I will be traveling to Antarctica, Rome, Egypt and other places. I would like to have a decent camera for pics. This will be my only chance to buy, and I have to do it today.

Can you give me some help. I have read a little bit, but don't know if the d3000 would work or if I should get the d5000 or even the d3100.

Please help.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 31-Oct-10 05:50 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie, needs information, purchasing today! Please help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 31-Oct-10 05:53 PM by jpFoto

US

Hi

I just bought the D3100, and consider it be the most advanced of your three choices. It has a newly developed 14mp sensor and better low light capabilities. The D5000 is a good camera also and has a few features that the D3100 does not, and would be my second choice of your three. However, if you are interested in the video feature, then the D3100 is the better choice. My reasons for buying the D3100 were the advanced sensor and its light weight. Although the D3000 is a nice camera, I don't think that it is in the same "league" as the new D3100.

Good luck with your decision.

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Wed 03-Nov-10 11:21 AM
1738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie, needs information, purchasing today! Please help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

Get the 3100. You will be able to take pictures inside without a flash at ISO 3200 with no grain (see my post a few down from this one)

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2744 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.