Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2703
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 Macro photos dark...help!" Previous topic | Next topic
hype2 Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Fri 22-Oct-10 01:56 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 Macro photos dark...help!"

US

Hello All-

A friend of mine has a Nikon D40 in which he uses to take photos of items to sell on eBay. He uses the standard Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens, a studio light box, and some photography lighting while shooting in the macro (close up) mode and the pictures turn out great. After seeing the great photos, I decided to upgrade my point and shoot camera to a digital SLR for my own eBay business. I purchased a D3000 a few weeks ago expecting to get similar results with my camera, but that has not been the case. When I shoot in the macro mode, my photos turn out dark and shadowy, not bright and crisp like the photos taken with my friend's D40. I double checked all my settings against the settings of the D40 and they are the same, however the two cameras take completely different photos. I've experimented sitting in the exact same spot, same lighting, same everything, but yet the photos are so different. I even thought it might be something with the lenses as they are slightly different models, so I tried putting my lens on the D40 and it still took great pics. The conclusion I have come to is that it must be some setting that needs to be changed, but I have tried just about everything I can think of with no good results. I'm a novice to the SLR camera world so my question may be a simple one to answer, but I have become frustrated in trying to figure this out and that's why I am turning to the more experienced users for help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Fri 22-Oct-10 12:04 PM
1740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 Macro photos dark...help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Oct-10 12:04 PM by philipl

Oxford, US

Welcome to Nikonians.

Try either using the flash or adding + .6 to 1 EV using the button just behind the shutter button.

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

hype2 Registered since 22nd Oct 2010Fri 22-Oct-10 03:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 Macro photos dark...help!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

That is part of the problem I forgot to mention in my initial post. I have tried pushing the exposure compensation button (the little + - button just behind the shutter button) but it does not allow me to change any exposure settings while in the macro shooting mode, or any of the preset shooting modes for that matter (night, panoramic, child, action, etc.)
As far as flash goes, ideally I do not want to use flash because when taking close ups of shiny objects it puts an unnecessary glare on them. I am using a photo box with PLENTY of light as well so there should be no reason to use a flash.

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sat 23-Oct-10 12:16 PM
1740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3000 Macro photos dark...help!"
In response to Reply # 2

Oxford, US

You not only have to push the shutter button but also rotate the dial or use the menu; see pages 76 and 77 of the manual.

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 22-Oct-10 05:07 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 Macro photos dark...help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Oct-10 05:12 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Are the images dark when using other modes or just when you are in Macro exposure mode?
Try using Program (P) exposure mode. Are the images still dark?
What does the histogram indicate?
What metering mode are you using? I am not sure if the metering mode can be changed in "Close UP" exposure mode or any of the other pictogram exposure modes though if the camera is in Matrix metering and the background is bright, the subject may very likely be getting under exposed.
What are you viewing the images on?
If on your computer; Is your monitor calibrated?
If on the LCD display on the back of the camera; Have you tried adjusting the brigtness?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2703 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.