nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3000 Macro photos dark...help!

hype2

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hype2 Registered since 22nd Oct 2010
Fri 22-Oct-10 01:56 AM

Hello All-

A friend of mine has a Nikon D40 in which he uses to take photos of items to sell on eBay. He uses the standard Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens, a studio light box, and some photography lighting while shooting in the macro (close up) mode and the pictures turn out great. After seeing the great photos, I decided to upgrade my point and shoot camera to a digital SLR for my own eBay business. I purchased a D3000 a few weeks ago expecting to get similar results with my camera, but that has not been the case. When I shoot in the macro mode, my photos turn out dark and shadowy, not bright and crisp like the photos taken with my friend's D40. I double checked all my settings against the settings of the D40 and they are the same, however the two cameras take completely different photos. I've experimented sitting in the exact same spot, same lighting, same everything, but yet the photos are so different. I even thought it might be something with the lenses as they are slightly different models, so I tried putting my lens on the D40 and it still took great pics. The conclusion I have come to is that it must be some setting that needs to be changed, but I have tried just about everything I can think of with no good results. I'm a novice to the SLR camera world so my question may be a simple one to answer, but I have become frustrated in trying to figure this out and that's why I am turning to the more experienced users for help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

G