nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2701
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggested Settings for photographing Artwork" Previous topic | Next topic
dpcz Registered since 21st Oct 2010Thu 21-Oct-10 02:38 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suggested Settings for photographing Artwork"

US

Hello,

I am a painter, new to SLR cameras and need to create accurate digital images of my acrylic landscapes on canvas to make prints to sell to my customers. My largest work is 38" X 22".

I have recently purchased a Nikon D5000 and I am curious as to whether anyone in this forum is familiar with photographing artwork.

I want to try to experiment photographing the artwork outside in SHADE & then OVERCAST lighting before getting into the indoor setups which are much more complicated.

Does anyone have some suggested settings for the Nikon D5000 for this endeavor of mine?

Thanks!
Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 22-Oct-10 10:48 PM
4896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggested Settings for photographing Artwork"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

This topic has come up before. The search feature of the site should help you. Unfortunately, I don't recall which forum the question was asked in.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 23-Oct-10 04:23 PM
2152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggested Settings for photographing Artwork"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Actually in my opinion an indoor lighting setup is not all that difficult and would be more consistent and controllable. Two umbrellas with Speedlights placed at 45 degree angles equidistant from the artwork are all that is needed. Also you need to make sure that the artwork and sensor are properly aligned to prevent perspective distortion.

But more than camera settings, your main concern well be with color management. Producing accurate reproductions will require a thorough understanding of color management and a meticulous workflow. The color space of your camera is different than the color space of your monitor which is different from the color space of printers. Knowing the subtle differences in viewing mediums and how to soft-proof will be the only way to achieve close accurate reproductions.

As for camera settings I would imagine shooting NEF’s and using the Adobe RGB color space would be the way I would recommend you do it (actually I prefer to use ProPhoto RGB as my color space). I would then develop the images to produce an accurate rendering for the medium to which it will be printed and the conditions it will be viewed under. But again, good color management skills will be paramount in the ability of producing consistent results and accurate reproductions.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2701 Previous topic | Next topic