nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #270
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?" Previous topic | Next topic
brentfoto Registered since 08th Jun 2009Tue 09-Jun-09 07:25 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?"

US

I own a D70s. It doesn't have HD video mode.

I'm looking for an image-stabilized camcorder contained within a Nikon DSLR. But it must be able to record at least 10 minutes of HD video @1080p at a clip, as well as higher MP for stills than the 6MP D70s...

Does such a Nikon D camera exist, and is it going to cost me mucho dinero? If so, perhaps I might be better spending around $600 for a decent Canon or other camcorder?

The D5000 looks appealing, but I think clip is limited to only a few minutes, and @720p, not 1080p. Please help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 09-Jun-09 09:52 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brent,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The longest recording time available on any DSLR is five minutes at maximum at high resolution. Up to 20 minutes at lower resolution depending on the size and speed of the memory card. If you are looking to record high resolution video a camcorder is still the best option.
Who knows what the next generation of DSLR's will bring to the table.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

brentfoto Registered since 08th Jun 2009Tue 09-Jun-09 10:06 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you. Guess I'll have to wait, OR...

the alternative might be to buy the D5000 and shoot in lower res for purposes of videos longer than five minutes or limit my videos to 5 minutes in HD (720p)for YouTube or HD purposes.

12MP is very appealing for photos. And I'd be spending at least $600.00 for a HD quality consumer camcorder, which is not that much less than purchasing a D5000.

But image stabilization is important, and I'm not sure of it with the D5000 and whether I'd have to buy a special lens.

I could also always sell my D70s (for 'peanuts') to make up the difference.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 10-Jun-09 02:29 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Have a look at the RED camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

brentfoto Registered since 08th Jun 2009Wed 10-Jun-09 04:38 PM
#4. "RE: Should I buy a Nikon HD SLR?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for input. I'm going to pass on upgrading to any DSLR, and stay with my D70s. As to video, and since I don't have kids/grandkids, etc. etc., my needs are limited so the Aiptek A-HD+1080p works okay for now, though I might've been better off with an HVS model.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #270 Previous topic | Next topic