Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2662
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 "In Camera" sharpening settings" Previous topic | Next topic
allenworsham Registered since 15th Aug 2010Tue 12-Oct-10 02:24 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 "In Camera" sharpening settings"

Corona, CA, US

I have not been real happy with some of the sharpness I am getting. I have the D5000 with the kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm) and am using Nikon's free VNX2 for post processing until I can decide on a different PP program and get a better computer as mine is old and slow.

My in camera standard settings show sharpness automatically set at "3". Would I get better results raising this level higher or turing it off all together and just use PP sharpening in VNX2?

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 12-Oct-10 03:11 PM
10786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 "In Camera" sharpening settings"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The only reason to enable sharpening in-camera is to limit your post-process workflow; it's part of an overall objective to get as much "right" in-camera assuming the image quality meets your publishing intent (web, small print, etc). Otherwise, turn it off and leave it to more specialized and effective tools on your PC. Sharpening is not a PC-intensive process unless your computer is well out of date (12+ years old). At that point, you're struggling just to run the basic post-process tools you need and render high mega-pixel photos, never mind specialized plug-ins like noise reduction and sharpening.

There are many entry-level photo editing packages out there that do a perfectly good job without breaking the bank. PhotoShop Elements is a popular one, but look around and experiment with timed evaluation copies if you can. Find one that you're comfortable with.

I prefer to turn sharpening down to low but I shoot NEF so this is something I can remedy or disable in post-process easily.

Sharpness as a general objective also has a lot to do with the aperture selected on the lenses you are using, and the shutter speeds at time of capture. Respect the 1/focal length rule and you'll be fine. Others subscribe to the 1/(focal length x 1.5) which compensates for the DX crop effect. Either way, you want to be in safe handholding speeds as much as possible, and speeds that will also freeze the subject motion if that is your intent. The lenses apertures will have sharpness benefits by stopping down - wide open at f5.6 on the long end will not be as sharp as f8 or f11 - it's just the nature of the lens design. Be conscious of this and consider whether you have a margin in the exposure triad to increase the shutter speed or stop-down the aperture to get a better photograph.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2662 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.