Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2607
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 or D5000 - opinions please?" Previous topic | Next topic
ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 02:33 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"

US

The obvious benefit to me is that the D90 will auto focus my two 35mm lenses, which are compatible (thanks to info from users on this site). The lenses are compatible to the D5000 but will not auto focus.
Is that the only advantage?

I'm not so sure that is a huge advantage if VR is all that everyone says it is. VR seems like a big deal on the newer Nikon digitals.

Plus, I got what seems like a great buy on a D5000 with 2 VR lenses (18-55mm VR and a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens), free shipping, no tax - $769 from B&H.
It hasn't arrived yet, so if something is glaringly wrong with this buy, tell me so I can send it back.

All weekend I've been stewing on this comparison, trying to weigh if the D90 would be worth the extra few hundred dollars.

I don't believe I'll uset he video portion much, so that is not really a consideration. I mainly want to take quality family photos, mainly my 4 yr old who will hold still for about one breath. (the need for prompt shutter response)

So, what am I missing by not sending the D5000 back, or reselling the new-in-box body and getting a D90?
Isn't the screen larger? Does it make THAT much difference?
Thanks for the advice - everyone on here is so helpful!
Many smiles - Callie

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?
jpFoto
04th Oct 2010
JosephK Silver Member
04th Oct 2010
ccbassgirl
04th Oct 2010
caspar76
04th Oct 2010
ccbassgirl
06th Oct 2010
JerryT
05th Oct 2010
ccbassgirl
05th Oct 2010
sunfighter
05th Oct 2010
ccbassgirl
05th Oct 2010
merlin87 Silver Member
05th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator
05th Oct 2010
gotrek99 Gold Member
06th Oct 2010
ccbassgirl
06th Oct 2010
TMort
08th Oct 2010
gotrek99 Gold Member
08th Oct 2010

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 04:01 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Congratulations,

I'm sure that you will be very happy with your new purchase!

jP

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 04-Oct-10 07:12 AM
4503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The way I am reading the two specs, the D90 will give you:
- a bigger, heavier camera
- larger LCD
- better view finder
- internal focus motor
- more external buttons, less need for the menu
- fewer scene modes
- no movie support
- higher cost

D5000:
- same sensor
- same auto-focus system
- same Creative Lighting System
- smaller, lighter camera
- smaller LCD, but movable
- no internal focus motor
- fewer external buttons, more need for the menus
- more scene modes
- movie support
- lower cost

If I don't have the above correct, hopefully someone will correct me.

If you are not into the movie stuff, the difference will come down to ergonomics: smaller vs bigger. I have large hands; I prefer the bigger body plus the more external buttons.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 03:26 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Joseph. This is perfect side-by-side comparison. I have "man-hands", not girly-girl hands. However, when I held a D3100 compared to the D5000 there was a noticeable difference. The 3100 felt like a toy to me.
At the time I wasn't considering the D90 so I didn't even pick it up. But perhaps I'll make the trip back to the store and compare.
Thank you for the consice lists to compare.
Callie

caspar76 Registered since 08th Jan 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 08:21 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0

JP

I had the same problem deciding when I purchased my D5000.
Well, now if someone is considering the D90, I would also advise them to look at the D7000.

You are correct about the D90 being able to auto focus older lens.
There are also some other minor differences worth noting.

1) The D90 has the LCD screen on the top which makes it easier to make quick adjustments to your settings.
2) If you plan on buying a flash like the SB-400 or SB-600, the D90 will act as a command unit allowing you to remote fire your flash, the D5000 does not do this.

If you went with the D5000 your getting a good camera, and as far as picture quality, I don't think you will see a difference.
I'm very happy with mine so far.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Wed 06-Oct-10 03:43 AM
#11. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Caspar,
Thanks for the input.
You're right - I love that top display.
How much do you know of the D7000? Is it much more pricey than the D90?
Do you think the D90's will come down in price at all with the intro of the D7000?
Thanks much!
Callie

JerryT Registered since 31st May 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 12:56 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Oct-10 01:06 PM by JerryT

US

I have a large number of legacy lenses (see my profile; many aren't all that "old") and the ability for some of them to auto focus was a definite factor. Given the number of them I would have been foolish not to consider this factor. Most of them also matrix meter in addition to auto focusing. I think that if I'd only had two or three of them this would still have made a difference. I see the D5000 as an entry level (to DSLR) camera for those who don't have other Nikon lenses.

(I had just gone through an extensive and expensive process of updating the lenses from older AI lenses and matrix metering was as big a factor for me as autofocus.)

I liked the "feel" (very subjective) of the MB-D80 attached to the D90 as opposed to the D90 (or the D5000) without it. This reason is not to be overlooked as it had much to do with my decision. I'd go to a local dealer and try both out. This was actually a big factor in my decision and the extra cost of around $150. for the MB-D80 drive was worth it to me.

There were a variety of other differences, but it's been about three months now and I don't recall them. Joseph K. does a good job of listing the highlights of the differences.

(video wasn't a factor; I could care less if my DSLR shoots video or not)

ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 07:40 PM
#8. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Jerry,
All great reasons for choosing the D90.
My one Sigma 70-300mm is the one that is pulling me most towards the D90.
I went to the camera store and tried them both - again (3rd time now-I'm sure they love me).
I think the summary screen on the top instead on in the menu could be helpful.
I didn't think I'd use the video. Good to hear you tried it.
This decision is not an easy one, and I had better make up my mind here. My D5000 will be here by Friday.
If I decide in favor of the D90, I'll sell the unopened D5000. They seem to be going for $500 low-end up to not quite $600.
$300 more and I'm in a D90!
Thanks again for commenting.

sunfighter Registered since 30th Sep 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 03:52 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have just recently bought the D5000 to get back into photography. Two things helped me make the decision to get this camera. It's ergonomics (I just love the way it feels in my hands) and the rotating rear screen. My knees are shot, but with the screen I can get low angle shots like crazy. I have used it to capture my grandchildren on the floor playing. High over the head shoots, not so much - screen washes out due to sun light.

With that said I also find the movie camera a welcome addition. After spending the day taking pictures in a park, I shot some movies of boys and girls swinging on a chain, letting go and falling into a pool of water. I used an edited version of one of these to introduce a slide show I did. I have also used short clips to link two photos together. It was not something I needed, but having it has added some fun to my experience.

ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Tue 05-Oct-10 07:34 PM
#7. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thank you for sharing your reason for choosing the D5000. Was the D90 an option for you at all?

merlin87 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Tue 05-Oct-10 07:56 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 0

Union Grove, US

Out of curiousity, why do you folks mention lack of movie support with the D90? I have shot multiple hummingbird movies with mine, and while they might not be HD, they are movies all the same, and actually not what I purchased my D90 for, but consider then an added perk.
--

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-Oct-10 08:45 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi John,

You are correct!
Both the D5000 and the D90 have exactly same video capability.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gotrek99 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th May 2010Wed 06-Oct-10 12:30 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 10

Huddersfield, GB

hi folks, i have had a D5000 for just over 6 months. its a great camera and at the time i bought it i thought i would never get the hang of it.But 6 months down the line i wish i had gone with a D90.having a motor in body for lenses gives you more choices. as it is i have to get afs lenses if i want to auto focus.

If you can stretch to the extra money for the D90 or the new D7000 go for it. Wish i had. i do not regret getting the D5000 though it will me teach me a lot more yet.
martin

ccbassgirl Registered since 01st Oct 2010Wed 06-Oct-10 11:43 PM
#13. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Martin,
I'm so glad you replied!
That was in the back of my mind also.
Do you use the tilt-out swivel screen very much?
That is something I'm not sure if I'll use.
I know in another post here Jerry said he has bad knees and uses to get down to child level and save his knees. That's a good reason!
I actually scored a great deal on a new D90 with 2 new AF-S VR lenses, a Nikon bag and 4gb memory card for $900 all new. It was too good to pass up!
So now, I will sell the unopened D5000 with extras and one lens. Nothing has been out of box. I'm hoping to get $600 for the lot. They seem to be selling anywhere between $575-$700.
Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience with the D5000.
Callie

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Fri 08-Oct-10 01:49 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Where did you find such a great deal on the D90? I am in the same predicament as you and would've jumped on that D90 also.

>Hi Martin,
>I'm so glad you replied!
>That was in the back of my mind also.
>Do you use the tilt-out swivel screen very much?
>That is something I'm not sure if I'll use.
>I know in another post here Jerry said he has bad knees and
>uses to get down to child level and save his knees. That's a
>good reason!
>I actually scored a great deal on a new D90 with 2 new AF-S VR
>lenses, a Nikon bag and 4gb memory card for $900 all new. It
>was too good to pass up!
>So now, I will sell the unopened D5000 with extras and one
>lens. Nothing has been out of box. I'm hoping to get $600 for
>the lot. They seem to be selling anywhere between $575-$700.
>Thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience with the
>D5000.
>Callie

gotrek99 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th May 2010Fri 08-Oct-10 01:21 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D90 or D5000 - opinions please?"
In response to Reply # 13

Huddersfield, GB

hey there, I have used the tilt and swivel lcd a few times. mainly to get low shots of something instead of lying down etc. i am not in the younger league of age group ( ha ha ) but not use it that much that its worth having permantly. you got a great deal on the D90.
hope you can sell your D5000 kit soon.
martin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2607 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.