Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2590
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)" Previous topic | Next topic
TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sat 02-Oct-10 10:58 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"

US

I will now have this to go with my Nikon D40 for deployment. On that note, I have a list of "goodies" that I am about to purchase. These are things that I think will help get the best bang, shooting photojournalist photos in Afghan. I was hoping to get some comments and advice/recommendations etc. on this list before I make the plunge. I was bouncing back and forth between the D3100 and the D7000 but figured it best to spend my $ more wisely on glass rather than the higher end body.

Also, with a new D40 and D3100 in the stable, I will have an extra 18-55mm lens if anyone needs one?

Here's the list:

SanDisk 16GB 60MB/s Extreme Compact Flash Card SDCFX-016G-A61
- I assume this is compatible with the D3100? If so, is it overkill? The price dif between the 30mb and 60mb speed wasn't much.

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR - Nikon

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - Nikon

Slingshot 102 AW Digital SLR Camera Backpack Case (Black)

Flash Bounce Cap Diffuser - Fits Nikon SB-600 - Generic

Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - Nikon

Tiffen 52mm UV Protection Filter - Tiffen

Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

I'm not sure if I should order the flash or not, still debating on that purchase.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
03rd Oct 2010
TMort
03rd Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
03rd Oct 2010
jpFoto
03rd Oct 2010
TMort
03rd Oct 2010
TMort
03rd Oct 2010
enesunkie Silver Member
05th Oct 2010
jpFoto
04th Oct 2010
WD4MLA Silver Member
03rd Oct 2010
TMort
04th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Oct 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 03-Oct-10 12:23 AM
4762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you think you need a "protection" filter, I would go with a clear filter instead of the UV. Also, do not go cheap as it will cut down on you image quality. (The lens hoods are your best first line of defense.)

- You probably want a minimum of two memory cards.
- Extra battery if the two bodies do not share the same one.
- Giottos Rocket Blower, if you don't have one already.
- A "wet" cleaning kit for the sensor assuming you will have a relatively clean place to use it.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 03-Oct-10 02:42 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Joseph, great advice!

So, I have been messing around with the camera and noticed that the memory cards are very difficult to remove and also that the video isn't as great as I thought it would be. =/

Has anyone else found this issue? These are almost deal killers for me, I may end up returning the camera and waiting for the D7000.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 03-Oct-10 08:27 PM
3360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

Putting all your images on a single card is a bad idea.

Cards of all brands fail, either suddenly or simply due to the nature of SD cards which have a limited number of write cycles.
Get lots of 2gig cards o losing one will not destroy your shooting, in 14mpx you will only get 100 or so shots but that means the maximum of 100 shots lost when it fails. Get cheaper cards, write speed is not as critical as some people on the forums claim.

Are all memory cards hard to remove? Case casting differences often leads some new cards to have different alignment and with usage the fit better into the slot.
What specifically is wrong with the video. Have you done serious video production before? The only complaints I have heard before is jell-o that is due to poor technique. Shooting video for broadcast or news is a specialty that takes some skill, a lot of knowledge and experience. Youtube.com style shooting does not cut it for ENG or broadcast. If you have not had the experience, taking a college course video production and doing a few documentaries or at least be on a production team shooting for broadcast.
Unless you need cinematic DOF capabilities(not used in ENG), a camcorder is better for video than a DSLR. They are more forgiving for poor technique than DSLR and often do not need separate shoulder DSLR shooting grip/harness which costs more than the camera, or need SteadCam as much. It is darned hard to hope a DSLR out at arms length and capture anything that does not look really unsteady and amateurish. The good DSLR videos that do pop up on Vimeo and such have a cheap DSLR aided with $10k in accessories. But if you are doing this professionally you know this.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 03-Oct-10 08:37 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 2

US

You may want to read this post. It was two posts below yours. I had the same problem with the SD Card and this was my "fix."

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=2585&mesg_id=2585&page=

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 03-Oct-10 09:25 PM
#5. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 03-Oct-10 09:31 PM by TMort

US

Yes you are correct Stan, the video isn't that big of a deal really.

The card issue was more concerning to me. On my D40 it slides in and out effortlessly and the card door closes tight on the D40. On the D3100, as others have mentioned, it gets caught and the door is loose and flimsy. Just seems like the build quality of the D3100 isn't quite as good as it was on the D40.

In regards to the memory card size, based on your suggestion, I will probably go with a few 4-8gb cards. The Panasonic 22mb class 10 cards seem to get excellent reviews. Afghan is just too dusty and dirty to be changing out 2gb cards all the time.

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Sun 03-Oct-10 10:19 PM
#6. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Based on suggestions here's my revised list:

(4) Transcend 4 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS4GSDHC6E

(4) Panasonic 8 GB High Speed 22MB/s SDHC Class 10 Memory Card

Zeikos ZE-LH58 58mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood - Zeikos

Zeikos ZE-LH52 52mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood - Zeikos

58MM Clear Filter for D-serie - Nikon

52MM Clear Filter for D-serie - Nikon

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens

Digital Survival KIT - Sensor Swab Type 2 (w/Eclipse)

Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW Digital SLR Camera Backpack Case

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008Tue 05-Oct-10 06:14 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 6

Buffalo, US

- I'd put a spare battery pretty high up on the list. Nothing else on the list will matter if you only have one with few opportunities to charge it!

- Nikonians microfiber cloth (Lenspen is also popular).

Kurt

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 12:02 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 04-Oct-10 12:26 AM by jpFoto

US

Hi

I'm not really sure whose post that you are responding to. I'm jP, and I had left you a link to my post regarding the SD card resistance issue. If you haven't read that post, I had suggested that you partially insert and remove an unneeded SD card into the slot a number of times to remove whatever has caused the resistance problem. It is definitely, in my opinion, a defect, but not a substantial defect. I also have not experienced your observations about the battery/sd card door as mine works perfectly.

As for the build quality of the D3100, I have owned many Nikons over the years, and although it is not an F4 or a D700, nor is it a Hasselblad or a Leica, it is an excellent camera body, and for an effective price of $500 when you consider the bundled lens, it is the deal of the century, so far. As Stan said, "it is now the most advanced Nikon in the line-up." (paraphrased) That will change very soon. (That was in response to your post in the D7000 forum.)

jP

P.S. The top right portion of the SD card (as you look at in your hand,) scuffs after the multiple insertions and retractions. This leads me to believe that the SD slots that Nikon has installed in these cameras must have a "burr" or other imperfection. Definitely, not serious.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 03-Oct-10 11:54 PM
922 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

You might want to check over in the Bags forum to see what they think about the Slingshot 102, it looks a little small on their sight. It only shows 2 divisions for lens, but remember the other goodies like your battery charger and wire, flash and accessories, extra batteries, rocket blower.

Even if it fits now, what about some room to grow.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

TMort Registered since 04th Jul 2010Mon 04-Oct-10 01:29 PM
#9. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Good call. I'm going to get the Domke 701-J83 J-803 Satchel instead. This way I can carry my laptop and all my camera gear on the airplane with me. Thanks!

I also returned the D3100. Not that it is a bad camera but I really want to feel the D7000 in my hands before making a final decision.

>You might want to check over in the Bags forum to see what
>they think about the Slingshot 102, it looks a little small on
>their sight. It only shows 2 divisions for lens, but remember
>the other goodies like your battery charger and wire, flash
>and accessories, extra batteries, rocket blower.
>
>Even if it fits now, what about some room to grow.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 04-Oct-10 11:16 PM
26816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Just bought a Nikon D3100 at BestBuy yay!! =)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 04-Oct-10 11:18 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on your new camera!

>SanDisk 16GB 60MB/s Extreme Compact Flash Card SDCFX-016G-A61
>- I assume this is compatible with the D3100? If so, is it
>overkill? The price dif between the 30mb and 60mb speed wasn't
>much.

The D40 and D3100 both require SD Type memory cards. CF (Compact Flash) memory cards are not compatible.
I have always had good luck with Sandisk cards.
Lexar is also well regarded by many here.

>Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Lens for Nikon
>Digital SLR - Nikon

New lens seems to be well regarded! Requires a 58mm filter.

>Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras -
>Nikon

Again very well regarded lens. Requires a 52mm Filter.

>Slingshot 102 AW Digital SLR Camera Backpack Case (Black)
>
>Flash Bounce Cap Diffuser - Fits Nikon SB-600 - Generic
>
>Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras -
>Nikon

I will bet that the SB-600 is now out of production and replaced by the SB-700. If cost is an issue it would be a good idea to get one before they are sold out as the SB-700 is priced about $75.00 or so higher.

>Tiffen 52mm UV Protection Filter - Tiffen

Digital bodies do not require UV filters.
If you want to get a filter for protection get a clear multi coated filter like the Nikon NC. They are more expensive than the cheap UV filters but you get what you pay for. Also which lens do you plan on using the filter on? The 18-55mm and the 35mm require 52mm filters.
The 55-300mm reqiures a 58mm filter.

>Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard
>Drive WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

I would recommnd that you get two 1TB External drives instead of a single 2TB drive in order to back up your images. If one drive fails the second drive is your protection from loosing your images.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #2590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.